Both
56.45%
35 56.45%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanu or Jones or Both?
(12-09-2015, 02:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Sanu is the greatest QB in the history of the NFL. He's never thrown an incompletion and has a career perfect passer rating.

doesnt have enough attempts to qualify.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:01 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Looking a little bit farther ahead into the off-season do you think Jones and Sanu have played well enough to earn a long term deal? Personally I would sign Jones to a deal and let Sanu walk. We have a lot of free agents to re-sign this off-season and we can take a stab at replacing him through the draft. I appreciate Sanu's swiss army knife type role but he never developed into a consistent possession guy. I was hoping he could resemble Housh in some way.

If we can afford to keep them both without sacrificing too much that would be good.

Here's a look at our free agents.

WR Mohamed Sanu

WR Marvin Jones

OT Andre Smith

DE Wallace Gilberry

DT Brandon Thompson

LB Vincent Rey

LB Chris Carter

CB Hall

CB Adam Jones

S Nelson

S Iloka

There's no reason why we can't keep both, along with most of those FA. Some of those guys aren't going to be a big cap hit and it's doubtful Jones will be getting a slew of offers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:35 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: I follow the Dolphins as well as the Bengals (wife is a Dolphins fan, though she is also a huge Bengals fan, when the 2 teams play she is Dolphins first.) 

They have Jarvis Landry as well as Devante Parker.  I think they are set at WR.  They could use a 3rd WR like Sanu, but they did just sign Suh to a 100 mil contract, so who knows how much cap they have to get that 3rd WR.

Thanks for the Dolphins info, i don't follow them that much but i do know Landry is a speedster and i believe
that Parker could be one of the best in the league, he reminds me of AJ Green a little bit.

They have another receiver on that team thats a burner as well who will be a FA this Offseason.

Forgot his name.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 02:45 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Both, easily. Bengals have the money to do it, and neither will be demanding a lot of money from any team.

Plus, I see a ton of people are forgetting about Sanu's contributions he made to the team in 2014. I mean, he was our #1 for quite a few games and certainly stepped up in games we needed him to.

I didn't forget Sanu's 2014 season. He was stretched thin as a #1 target and it showed. He led the league in drops despite catching only 50 passes. Then when AJ returned, Sanu disappeared. Honestly I think 2014 proved more than any other season that Sanu is good depth, but he's not a good starting option.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
With the way this FO does contracts I'm sure Pumpkin will find a way to keep the guys they want no problem.

People also forget we are set to be contenders for a long time.
Winning plus a penchant for honoring our contracts can be something that is enticing to our guys to stay and not test FA
Reply/Quote
Both but definitely MLJ is a priority over Mo.

I dunno but I could see either one of these guys getting looks from the Browns or our good friends Mr. Zimmer/Gruden.

I do like the previous poster's idea of getting a burner and bringing back Hawk at a lower cost if money is needed elsewhere.

The only thing going that burner WR better physical as well. That is why I'd put MLJ as top priority.

He's got the tools for the job in AFCN.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We may have to pay MLJ close to $6-7m a year, Crabtree just got a extension and will be paid around $8.75m a year.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 03:01 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Both have done well but not enough for anyone to think they are anymore than number 2 or 3 receivers.  With AJ Green taking the most talented corners each week I've yet to see these guys go off like they deserve huge contracts.

Agree. I haven't seen too much out of either other than here and there plays, although their good additions.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 06:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am pretty sure we have plenty of dough to keep them both, especially with Mo not having that big of a year.

If i had to choose i would definately keep MLJ over Mo but i don't want to. I want to keep Mo around he does little things you don't notice.

He is a good blocker and is so versatile.
Absolutely. Let Andre Smith; Thompson and VRey walk. Sanu could be even more of an asset if he were included more in the game plans.
Reply/Quote
New market for #2 receivers? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000598059/article/michael-crabtree-raiders-agree-to-4year-extension

That's more than I was hoping to pay...

(Missed Milksheik's post.)
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 10:09 PM)milksheikh Wrote: We may have to pay MLJ close to $6-7m a year, Crabtree just got a extension  and will be paid around $8.75m a year.

(12-09-2015, 10:57 PM)TGISunday Wrote: New market for #2 receivers? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000598059/article/michael-crabtree-raiders-agree-to-4year-extension

That's more than I was hoping to pay...

1. Crabs isn't a "#2 WR". He and Cooper are more of a 1A and 1B duo. Crabs actually has 10 more targets, 4 more catches and 3 more TD's than Amari Cooper.

2. Crabtree is more of an integral part of their offense than Marv Jones is for Cincy. He's on pace for an 88-1013-9 stat line. For comparison, MLJ is on pace for 63-793-5.

3. Crabtree is on pace for his 2nd (or 3rd?) 1000 yard season and has a better track record of success as a key guy in an offense. MLJ hasn't sniffed 1000 yards and he's been a true #2 WR exclusively.

There is no comparison between the two.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:42 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Crabs isn't a "#2 WR". He and Cooper are more of a 1A and 1B duo. Crabs actually has 10 more targets, 4 more catches and 3 more TD's than Amari Cooper.

2. Crabtree is more of an integral part of their offense than Marv Jones is for Cincy. He's on pace for an 88-1013-9 stat line. For comparison, MLJ is on pace for 63-793-5.

3. Crabtree is on pace for his 2nd (or 3rd?) 1000 yard season and has a better track record of success as a key guy in an offense. MLJ hasn't sniffed 1000 yards and he's been a true #2 WR exclusively.

Agreed. Crabtree>Jones
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks for the Dolphins info, i don't follow them that much but i do know Landry is a speedster and i believe
that Parker could be one of the best in the league, he reminds me of AJ Green a little bit.

They have another receiver on that team thats a burner as well who will be a FA this Offseason.

Forgot his name.
Matthews?
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 07:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is concerning cause you are correct. Those teams like to overpay players, but the Browns have paid a lot
of money for the guys they already got. I mean they have Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins and then guys like Travis
Benjamin and Gary Barnidge outplay them. Pretty crazy those Stains. They have good players.

The Bucs have Evans and the Dolphins have Devante Parker for the future so they might be looking for that
#2 receiver, i just don't know if Mo has had a good enough year to really stand out.

I hope so anyway cause i want him back like i said, but MLJ is definately the rarer talent and he helps out the
whole Offense more cause he is such a deep threat. I just hope some team does not want to pay him like a #1
and he leaves, that would suck. MLJ is special. Great speed and hands.

At 327 rec yards (0 TDs), 48 rush yards (1 TD), Sanu definitely has not had a good enough year to stand out for teams to look at him as a true WR2.

He is the fourth option in this offense and is good for a fourth option. He is ideally suited to be a third option.

MLJ is who needs to be prioritized out of the two. A replacement for Sanu can be found in the draft in Round 3 or later. Or in a better world, the Bengals retain both MLJ and Sanu and still get a WR in the draft to bolster the WR corps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:42 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Crabs isn't a "#2 WR". He and Cooper are more of a 1A and 1B duo. Crabs actually has 10 more targets, 4 more catches and 3 more TD's than Amari Cooper.

(12-10-2015, 11:09 AM)Fresno B Wrote: Agreed. Crabtree>Jones

Saying there's 'no comparison' seems a bit strong.  Especially if you look at things like age, other weapons the teams have to throw to, etc. I brought it up to discuss whether the contract will have any effect on negotiations this spring.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:06 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Saying there's 'no comparison' seems a bit strong.  Especially if you look at things like age, other weapons the teams have to throw to, etc. I brought it up to discuss whether the contract will have any effect on negotiations this spring.

Crabtree is better and takes on more of their offense than Jones does here . Now Eifert is more on the same level of importance to our offense as Crabtree is to theirs.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 01:06 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Saying there's 'no comparison' seems a bit strong.  Especially if you look at things like age, other weapons the teams have to throw to, etc. I brought it up to discuss whether the contract will have any effect on negotiations this spring.

I'm not saying MLJ isn't a good player or anything, but players are paid based on production, not potential. Especially when said player will be going into year 5. MLJ is going to get less money because he's produced and proven less than Crabtree.

As someone pointed out, Crabs is to them what Eifert has been to us. I think that's a good comparison. Crabtree has been vital to their offense. You could make an argument that he's their #1 target. MLJ is 3rd in the pecking order here.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 10:28 PM)jason Wrote: I'd re-sign Jones, let Sanu walk, draft a tall burner type WR in the 1st or 2nd round, and pick up Andrew Hawkins (the Browns can't keep him around for that money, unless he got a lot upfront) when he gets released this offseaon.

This would be my choice as well. I love Sanu and his versatility, but he doesn't have the ability to stretch the field like Jones can. That's what we need opposite of AJ. My guess is that Jones is re-signed, Sanu is given the chance to play the FA field, maybe come back if he doesn't get any bites, and the team looks to draft another receiver in the first 3 rounds.

As far as re-signing Baby Hawk, I'd be happy with it, but I'm not sure he plays again. He suffered two really bad concussions in consecutive games and hasn't played since the last one. We also have an Andrew Hawkins clone (though obviously not on the same level) in Mario Alford. I'm actually excited to see how he looks next year with a full NFL offseason under his belt and another training camp. He could end up being the perfect slot receiver for our offense.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 10:09 PM)milksheikh Wrote: We may have to pay MLJ close to $6-7m a year, Crabtree just got a extension  and will be paid around $8.75m a year.

Glad I scrolled through before posting.  This was going to be my point as well.  Crabtree isn't a superior talent to MLJ in any way.  I bet his agent was salivating when he saw this.  I'm not sure that MLJ will be able to be retained if he is going to get this kind of money on the open market.  

In which case, Sanu could likely be retained and the Bengals would be looking WR right after CB in the next draft.  
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2015, 10:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Glad I scrolled through before posting.  This was going to be my point as well.  Crabtree isn't a superior talent to MLJ in any way.  I bet his agent was salivating when he saw this.  I'm not sure that MLJ will be able to be retained if he is going to get this kind of money on the open market.  

In which case, Sanu could likely be retained and the Bengals would be looking WR right after CB in the next draft.  

LB, DE, WR are the needs in next year's draft.  A good CB in the 3rd or 4th round would be nice too.

It would be tough to replace Marvin Jones, but it could happen.  Sanu would be #2 for a while as the rookie learns.  Alford or Burkhead could play slot.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote