Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scharping re-signed
(03-20-2023, 12:15 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, status quo at OG3. Had hoped for an upgrade. He played OK until the Chief's game.

Still, at least we have a semi-competent reserve guard on the roster now. We did not have one yesterday.

Yeah, Scharping had a rough game against the Chiefs. Was much better in the Bills game, just need to see that from him more often.

I like bringing him back, I still think he is pretty good depth and he is a veteran.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 03:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Dude, get over yourself, no one is following you around. We are on the same message board reading the same threads.

And yet you still replying to me. Can’t help yourself.

When y’all quit demanding my approval of every signing I’ll get over myself.

But like others have pointed out and messaged. The consensus matched my option.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 04:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Scharping had a rough game against the Chiefs. Was much better in the Bills game, just need to see that from him more often.

I like bringing him back, I still think he is pretty good depth and he is a veteran.

The problem is we have a very good chance at facing K.C. again in the playoffs.  If Cappa is somehow injured, is Scharping the guy you want to count on when he would more than likely have a similar performance?  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 04:04 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hill is more athletic that Bates. 

Scott and Anderson are WAY more athletic than Bell. 

We got faster, younger, and cheaper at Safety. The ceiling is higher but the floor is lower. We lost a lot of experience. Scott started the Rams SB run in the POs (picking off Brady and clobbering Samuel in the POs) and last year. Hill has never started. That is 1 year of starting exp. There will likely be some mistakes early. 

But Bates was only good every other regular season. He was fantastic in the SB run POs but only "meh" in the POs last year. And let's not forget Bell's stupid penalty in the SB that offset a holding penalty on the final drive for LA. It's not like Bates & Bell were flawless. They were good, not great. 

The S class is pretty weak. TE, DE, CB, and RB are far deeper. I could see two at TE or RB. DT, OT, IOL, and WR also possible. P as well. I'd put safety, LB, and QB at the bottom of the list. Not impossible, but unlikely. 

Even if the safety performance declines some, that's probably to be expected.
You would think (or hope) the Bengals are investing more into other positions to help compensate potentially lower quality safety play.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 03:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wasn't Lou with him with the Giants?

Maybe our Safeties made Apple look better than he is here?

Only as a DB coach.

It’s still playing CB in the NFL. Idc who your safeties are. If you aren’t on your game you’re cooked.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 05:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is we have a very good chance at facing K.C. again in the playoffs.  If Cappa is somehow injured, is Scharping the guy you want to count on when he would more than likely have a similar performance?  

You really can’t predict injuries. It’s also hard to have a starting caliber bench. We could do worse than Scharping as a backup. It opens up the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 05:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is we have a very good chance at facing K.C. again in the playoffs.  If Cappa is somehow injured, is Scharping the guy you want to count on when he would more than likely have a similar performance?  

Better than nothing. I think it is the right move before the Draft personally. No one wants him to start, but you have to have depth
and he played decent at times before the AFCC against the Chiefs.

(03-22-2023, 12:20 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: You really can’t predict injuries.  It’s also hard to have a starting caliber bench.  We could do worse than Scharping as a backup. It opens up the draft.

Spot on, backups are backups for a reason. It does open the draft, same with the other additions in Orlando and to a point Ford.

We can add some talent in the Draft to compete still. Honestly would of been a bit disappointed if we didn't re-sign Scharping.

I liked him for years, big versatile OL that can move, he will struggle at times because he is not a starter but you could do worse.
Reply/Quote
Good.signing a veteran with multiple years of starting solid backup , opens up draft more to focus on depth other areas
Reply/Quote