Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schedule discussion; Bengals open vs Vikings
(05-13-2021, 10:10 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I respect you views but in my opinion Burrow wont last until game 8 if we are throwing the ball 50 times a game. 

If somebody told me Burrow was gonna throw 60 balls a game to Boyd, HIggins and AJ Green before last season began, I would have easily predicted a double digit win record season. Sad
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 09:01 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: If somebody told me Burrow was gonna throw 60 balls a game to Boyd, HIggins and AJ Green before last season began, I would have easily predicted a double digit win record season. Sad

If we are throwing that much its cause we are losing by double digits in every game.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, make or break year for Zac, Playoffs or bust. Predicting the light comes on and we make the Playoffs and win a game.

Burrow and the players we brought in give me hope along with Taylor being young.

Predicting the Offense plays good enough early to win a lot of close games but the D sucks under Lou and we fire him and 
hire Louie Cioffi to call the Defense. Think Cioffi is our insurance in case Lou sucks, very good Defensive mind.

Nate if you dont mind me asking what gives you faith in Louie Cioffi?  I can honestly say I've heard his name as an assistant to the position coaches but that I know of he's never held a job as a position coach.  

So what gives you faith that Louie Cioffi is qualified to come in and call a defense? 

Again, I know nothing about the guy but I'd probably feel better if you put Duffner or Hobby as the interim DC if Lou fails like expected.  

At least I know Duffner has been a DC before and Hobbie is just a veteran coach that's been around the game a long time. 
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 09:05 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Nate if you dont mind me asking what gives you faith in Louie Cioffi?  I can honestly say I've heard his name as an assistant to the position coaches but that I know of he's never held a job as a position coach.  

So what gives you faith that Louie Cioffi is qualified to come in and call a defense? 

Again, I know nothing about the guy but I'd probably feel better if you put Duffner or Hobby as the interim DC if Lou fails like expected.  

At least I know Duffner has been a DC before and Hobbie is just a veteran coach that's been around the game a long time. 

hes been here before apparently...    (which is probly why hes back)
https://lionsports.net/sports/football/roster/coaches/louie-cioffi/788
Before the Cardinals, Cioffi spent 14 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. There, he coached six seasons (1997-2002) as a defensive assistant and eight years (2003-10) as assistant defensive backs coach. In his eight seasons with the defensive backs, the Bengals logged 150 interceptions, fifth most in the NFL during that time span. He joined the league in 1997 as the youngest (23) full-time assistant coach in the NFL at the time.

Wonder is Bresnahan is coming back for offense.

Now as he was just an assistant i wouldnt give him much credit for all those accolades.

When he was a DC in college his team gave up 33 points per game...
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 09:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: hes been here before apparently...    (which is probly why hes back)
Before the Cardinals, Cioffi spent 14 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. There, he coached six seasons (1997-2002) as a defensive assistant and eight years (2003-10) as assistant defensive backs coach. In his eight seasons with the defensive backs, the Bengals logged 150 interceptions, fifth most in the NFL during that time span. He joined the league in 1997 as the youngest (23) full-time assistant coach in the NFL at the time.

Now as he was just an assistant i wouldnt give him much credit for all those accolades.

Xeno right, which is why I'd heard his name before. 

However, hold the position of assistant to the position coach for that long and not even being promoted to DL coach or DB coach or whatever makes me hesitate to put a guy as DC if Lou fails.  

That's why I said I'd feel better with Duffner or Hobbie in that role because of their experience. 
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 09:05 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Nate if you dont mind me asking what gives you faith in Louie Cioffi?  I can honestly say I've heard his name as an assistant to the position coaches but that I know of he's never held a job as a position coach.  

He has a lot of experience, I don't think he would be great or anything just maybe better than Anarumo if he continues
to suck even with the players he picked. Hobby is a nice thought and actually has a better resume than both Lou and Louie.

(05-14-2021, 09:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: hes been here before apparently...    (which is probly why hes back)

In college that isn't terrible honestly when teams are scoring 50 to 60 points all the time.

(05-14-2021, 09:14 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Xeno right, which is why I'd heard his name before. 

However, hold the position of assistant to the position coach for that long and not even being promoted to DL coach or DB coach or whatever makes me hesitate to put a guy as DC if Lou fails.  

That's why I said I'd feel better with Duffner or Hobbie in that role because of their experience. 

Actually I don't know as much about Duffner, what is his resume?

Al Golden seemed to help the LB's last year who were really young besides Bynes.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 09:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: If we are throwing that much its cause we are losing by double digits in every game.

You'd think... But they were winning a low scoring game when Burrow was injured and he'd already chucked it 35 times or something.

Don't forget; we're the kings of the close losses. In reality they throw it all the time because they can't run it... Ever.... Unless they play Jacksonville.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 12:36 AM)jason Wrote: You'd think... But they were winning a low scoring game when Burrow was injured and he'd already chucked it 35 times or something.

Don't forget; we're the kings of the close losses. In reality they throw it all the time because they can't run it... Ever.... Unless they play Jacksonville.

If we call 1 game this year 50-50 run pass id be amazed.

Id bet we win but still be amazed
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 10:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: If we call 1 game this year 50-50 run pass id be amazed.

Id bet we win but still be amazed

Not necessarily directed at you, but seems like a good place to throw this in.

The Browns were basically the only "balanced" team in the league last year. Baltimore and New England were the only run dominant teams with TEN, NO and MIN being close to "balanced". After that, you get into varying degrees of pass-heavy offenses. Of the remaining 26 teams, we were essentially middle of the road in terms of the pass to run ratio. I think the reality is most people have a misguided view of what balance in the NFL is in today's league because screen passes and the short passing games off RPO are extensions of the running game. 

We were about 58% last year and I would be cool being around that mark again assuming we were more efficient when we did run it. My biggest issue has always been our inability to spring long runs, which is kind of the point of hammering the run. No one plans to win 3 or 4 yards at a time, but they keep running expecting to eventually break one and it seems we just never do. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 10:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: Not necessarily directed at you, but seems like a good place to throw this in.

The Browns were basically the only "balanced" team in the league last year. Baltimore and New England were the only run dominant teams with TEN, NO and MIN being close to "balanced". After that, you get into varying degrees of pass-heavy offenses. Of the remaining 26 teams, we were essentially middle of the road in terms of the pass to run ratio. I think the reality is most people have a misguided view of what balance in the NFL is in today's league because screen passes and the short passing games off RPO are extensions of the running game. 

We were about 58% last year and I would be cool being around that mark again assuming we were more efficient when we did run it. My biggest issue has always been our inability to spring long runs, which is kind of the point of hammering the run. No one plans to win 3 or 4 yards at a time, but they keep running expecting to eventually break one and it seems we just never do. 

also Running Controlls the CLOCK something that helps win games.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 10:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: also Running Controlls the CLOCK something that helps win games.

Analytics people will tell you that really isn't true. It is one of those things where people find answers that aren't necessarily causation but rather a loose corrlation.
Reply/Quote
It loooks like Louie Cioffi was a DC for one singe season in the NFL. It was for the Browns in 2016. That team went 1-15, their defense was 31st in yards allowed and 30th in pts allowed. He has been out of the NFL ever since (until now).

After spending a year away from the game, or "sitting on his couch" he landed at Southeastern Louisiana University, an FCS school, where he again was a DC. That team finished 94th out of 97th in team defense in the FCS.

He then had stops with the Atlanta Legends of the AFL, and the DC Defenders of the XFL. I'd look up those stats, but really who gives a shit.

Anyways, I would NOT want this guy to run our defense. Frankly, I'm not even convinced he's worthy of any job here.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 10:46 AM)Au165 Wrote: Analytics people will tell you that really isn't true. It is one of those things where people find answers that aren't necessarily causation but rather a loose corrlation.

Analytics can work for baseball

I don’t want to hear analytics crap when it comes to football

We have enough of that with the PFF worship here

Some people trying to tell me that Russel Bodine was an average center according to analytics
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 11:01 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Analytics can work for baseball

I don’t want to hear analytics crap when it comes to football

We have enough of that with the PFF worship here

Some people trying to tell me that Russel Bodine was an average center according to analytics

Every team in the NFL uses analytics, many have MASSIVE departments built around it. PFF isn't analytics, PFF is subjective grading that can then be applied to analytics but it isn't actually analytics. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 10:46 AM)Au165 Wrote: Analytics people will tell you that really isn't true. It is one of those things where people find answers that aren't necessarily causation but rather a loose corrlation.

Record with marvin when running the ball 30 times? was pretty good
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 10:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It loooks like Louie Cioffi was a DC for one singe season in the NFL.  It was for the Browns in 2016.  That team went 1-15, their defense was 31st in yards allowed and 30th in pts allowed.  He has been out of the NFL ever since (until now).  

After spending a year away from the game, or "sitting on his couch" he landed at Southeastern Louisiana University, an FCS school, where he again was a DC.  That team finished 94th out of 97th in team defense in the FCS.

He then had stops with the Atlanta Legends of the AFL, and the DC Defenders of the XFL.  I'd look up those stats, but really who gives a shit.

Anyways, I would NOT want this guy to run our defense.  Frankly, I'm not even convinced he's worthy of any job here.

Wow, didn't know that. Damn. That ain't good. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 12:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Record with marvin when running the ball 30 times? was pretty good

You run the ball when you are winning, not when you are losing especially big or late. It's correlation, not causation. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 12:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Record with marvin when running the ball 30 times? was pretty good

That's because we just ran the ball all game, limited the other teams' TOP and scoring, and then Palmer would win it with the two-minute drill.

Had we run the ball a lot but just thrown the ball more to at least keep defenses honest, we could have had an even bigger year.  
Reply/Quote