Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting Report Leonard Fournette
Great breakdown

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the link, thats a good find! While I think that LF will be a good RB in the NFL, I'm not so sure he's built for our type of offense. Especially when compared to Dalvin Cook. To me, we already have LF's skill set on the team in Jeremy Hill. I do think LF will be better than JH, but the similiarities are there. Big, powerful back who can run you over or hit the gas and blow right by you, but has problems with reading blocks, a guy who doesn't run well out of the shotgun formation and flourishes with a Fullback in front of him.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted this guy, he is a tough guy who plays through injuries, has the body type to thrive in the AFCN..but unless we're cutting JH and replacing him with LF..I'd pass and pick Dalvin Cook. If we draft a RB, I want a guy who is skilled in both running AND catching..this telegraphing what we're doing via whoever we trot out there has got to stop!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 12:37 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Thanks for the link, thats a good find! While I think that LF will be a good RB in the NFL, I'm not so sure he's built for our type of offense. Especially when compared to Dalvin Cook. To me, we already have LF's skill set on the team in Jeremy Hill. I do think LF will be better than JH, but the similiarities are there. Big, powerful back who can run you over or hit the gas and blow right by you, but has problems with reading blocks, a guy who doesn't run well out of the shotgun formation and flourishes with a Fullback in front of him.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted this guy, he is a tough guy who plays through injuries, has the body type to thrive in the AFCN..but unless we're cutting JH and replacing him with LF..I'd pass and pick Dalvin Cook. If we draft a RB, I want a guy who is skilled in both running AND catching..this telegraphing what we're doing via whoever we trot out there has got to stop!

I agree.  I think you are underestimating how good of a receiver fournette is and probably one of the best in the draft,  but I love guys who slow the game down and wear teams out.  I also love his straight line top end speed and I can't wait to see what he runs at the combine.  Regardless of Jeremy Hill I think he needs to be evaluated for the system because of the generational talent he represents.  We also have a good fullback which plays right into his running style, but we are still limited by our center and guard situation.  The other thing I really love about the guy is his blocking which really sets him apart.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 12:37 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Thanks for the link, thats a good find! While I think that LF will be a good RB in the NFL, I'm not so sure he's built for our type of offense. Especially when compared to Dalvin Cook. To me, we already have LF's skill set on the team in Jeremy Hill. I do think LF will be better than JH, but the similiarities are there. Big, powerful back who can run you over or hit the gas and blow right by you, but has problems with reading blocks, a guy who doesn't run well out of the shotgun formation and flourishes with a Fullback in front of him.

This very well could be the plan though. The team could might Jeremy Hill as a disappointment given what was expected of him and the team could be looking to replace him in the role he was brought in for. If the team does want a bruising north-south runner to pair with Bernard, then Fournette, Foreman, Perine, or James Conner seem like potential candidates for that role. As the Bengals typically do, they will draft a player when the incumbent has a year left on his contract and then that player is replaced the following year.

I'm with you though, this team needs more of a RB in that 210-220 lb range that can catch, pass block, enough running speed and agility to get to the edge, and also handle occasional carries inside. A RB like that is more like Cook, Alvin Kamara, Jeremy McNichols, or maybe Wayne Gallman or Kareem Hunt.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 01:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: I agree.  I think you are underestimating how good of a receiver fournette is and probably one of the best in the draft,  but I love guys who slow the game down and wear teams out.  I also love his straight line top end speed and I can't wait to see what he runs at the combine.  Regardless of Jeremy Hill I think he needs to be evaluated for the system because of the generational talent he represents.  We also have a good fullback which plays right into his running style, but we are still limited by our center and guard situation.  The other thing I really love about the guy is his blocking which really sets him apart.

I'm with you Okeana.   I don't see the guy making it to us.   I think he ends up in Jacksonville or Carolina.  But if he's there I take him in a New York second.   The only real knock on the guy is his effectiveness working without a fullback - our failing not his, and I think that whatever the system he is in he will adjust.  The guy seems very smart.  And he's a great receiver and a violent blocker in the backfield or on the move.  Love to see him putting Shazier on his can.   He would open up our offensive options in a major way and be the most likely to make a quantum difference with a single pick.

I've seen a number of mocks with him ending up available but I don't think that will be the case.   It's possible that neither Fournette nor Cook will be there.  But they are the biggest difference makers other than Garrett or Adams in the top 10.

Not sure what the Bengals would do if he's available.   I'm pretty sure they are stuck on an edge rusher - which is not a bad thing.  I mean we definitely need one.

But if you're looking for the best player available and he's there, he's it.
Reply/Quote
That's behind an AWFULLY good o-line.....which we don't have.....something to ponder.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 01:43 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm with you Okeana.   I don't see the guy making it to us.   I think he ends up in Jacksonville or Carolina.  But if he's there I take him in a New York second.   The only real knock on the guy is his effectiveness working without a fullback - our failing not his, and I think that whatever the system he is in he will adjust.  The guy seems very smart.  And he's a great receiver and a violent blocker in the backfield or on the move.  Love to see him putting Shazier on his can.   He would open up our offensive options in a major way and be the most likely to make a quantum difference with a single pick.

I've seen a number of mocks with him ending up available but I don't think that will be the case.   It's possible that neither Fournette nor Cook will be there.  But they are the biggest difference makers other than Garrett or Adams in the top 10.

Not sure what the Bengals would do if he's available.   I'm pretty sure they are stuck on an edge rusher - which is not a bad thing.  I mean we definitely need one.

But if you're looking for the best player available and he's there, he's it.

I agree the thing is if people take 2 rb's before our pick than some really outstanding talent gets pushed to us.  this is a great class to be in the top 10 picks.

Reply/Quote
Don't want him. Plus he's a perfect panthers pick anyways so it doesn't matter. But he just seems like another Jeremy hill. Also I don't trust him ankles.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 03:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's behind an AWFULLY good o-line.....which we don't have.....something to ponder.

Who made up that AWFULLY good o-line this year?

If Fournette is there at our pick and we don't nab him; we're over-thinking it. WTS, barring a combine catastrophe he'll be gone. Jets or Panthers seem like the logical landing spots.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 05:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who made up that AWFULLY good o-line this year?

If Fournette is there at our pick and we don't nab him; we're over-thinking it. WTS, barring a combine catastrophe he'll be gone. Jets or Panthers seem like the logical landing spots.  

LSU is a good running team, has been for a few years now.  You don't move the ball in the SEC on the ground without a good oline.  Hill looked good in Baton Rouge too.  He sucks.  I hope Fournette doesn't.....but LSU backs are beginning to remind me of a poor man's Bama.  

I doubt he makes it to us as well, but if he does, I hope he's not another product of the system, a la Alabama backs and Jeremy Hill, Alfred Blue, Hilliard, Ridley and his fumbles, Hill, Ware.....etc, etc. from LSU since 2010.  Is what it is......

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 05:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: LSU is a good running team, has been for a few years now.  You don't move the ball in the SEC on the ground without a good oline.  Hill looked good in Baton Rouge too.  He sucks.  I hope Fournette doesn't.....but LSU backs are beginning to remind me of a poor man's Bama.  

I doubt he makes it to us as well, but if he does, I hope he's not another product of the system, a la Alabama backs and Jeremy Hill, Alfred Blue, Hilliard, Ridley and his fumbles, Hill, Ware.....etc, etc. from LSU since 2010.  Is what it is......

None of those guys are comparable to LF in terms of natural talent though. Blue and Hilliard were both picked at the very back of the draft, Ware was miscast as a FB in Seattle before finding success in KC, Ridley was always just-a-guy who had one big year and Hill has, well a lot of factors there, some his fault, some not.

I would again compare it more to FSU/Jimbo with QBs. He put some bad ones in the league, but Winston had all of the tools that the others didn't.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 05:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who made up that AWFULLY good o-line this year?

Pocic was the only good one this year.

Maea Teuhema is a stud at OG, but Miles put him at RT because Les lost all coaching knowledge and became one of the biggest dolts a sideline has ever seen. Hopefully they move him back to LG where he belongs.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 06:08 PM)blt4584 Wrote: None of those guys are comparable to LF in terms of natural talent though. Blue and Hilliard were both picked at the very back of the draft, Ware was miscast as a FB in Seattle before finding success in KC, Ridley was always just-a-guy who had one big year and Hill has, well a lot of factors there, some his fault, some not.

I would again compare it more to FSU/Jimbo with QBs. He put some bad ones in the league, but Winston had all of the tools that the others didn't.

Jimbo's dudes were reaches during a time when QBs were scarce.  That's a good point though, most were products of his offense, same as these RBs out of LSU and Bama, or QBs from Urban Meyer's offense.  I hope LF isn't if we were to land him, but call me gunshy.  

However, I agree that both he and Hill are certainly better prospects than the rest, but LF reminds me of Hill, and Hill looked worse than Rex Friggin Burkhead last season.  I'm very wary of this pick.....not as much as I was, say, a Johnny Manziel, but wary nonetheless.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 06:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Jimbo's dudes were reaches during a time when QBs were scarce.  That's a good point though, most were products of his offense, same as these RBs out of LSU and Bama, or QBs from Urban Meyer's offense.  I hope LF isn't if we were to land him, but call me gunshy.  

However, I agree that both he and Hill are certainly better prospects than the rest, but LF reminds me of Hill, and Hill looked worse than Rex Friggin Burkhead last season.  I'm very wary of this pick.....not as much as I was, say, a Johnny Manziel, but wary nonetheless.

Rex was the only back we had that looked good, period. I think one of the problems that both Hill and Gio had is that the D pretty much knew what was coming depending on which one was in the game. Rex never got enough playing time before the end of last year for other teams to know what to look for.

I think the main difference between Hill and LF is that Hill has always kind of seen himself as a finesse back in a bigger body, but Fournette knows that he is a hammer in a world full of nails.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 07:01 PM)blt4584 Wrote: Rex was the only back we had that looked good, period. I think one of the problems that both Hill and Gio had is that the D pretty much knew what was coming depending on which one was in the game. Rex never got enough playing time before the end of last year for other teams to know what to look for.

I think the main difference between Hill and LF is that Hill has always kind of seen himself as a finesse back in a bigger body, but Fournette knows that he is a hammer in a world full of nails.

Well Fournette is also twice the athlete.  Hill ran a 4.45 at the combine.  I expect LF will run low 4.3.  Who knows how fast that guy can run if he puts the burners on.  The dude is fast real fast. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 07:26 PM)Okeana Wrote: Well Fournette is also twice the athlete.  Hill ran a 4.45 at the combine.  I expect LF will run low 4.3.  Who knows how fast that guy can run if he puts the burners on.  The dude is fast real fast. 

He's projected at 4.45-4.50. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 07:26 PM)Okeana Wrote: Well Fournette is also twice the athlete.  Hill ran a 4.45 at the combine.  I expect LF will run low 4.3.  Who knows how fast that guy can run if he puts the burners on.  The dude is fast real fast. 

Fournette isn't running no 4.3 you can forget that.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 04:15 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Don't want him. Plus he's a perfect panthers pick anyways so it doesn't matter. But he just seems like another Jeremy hill. Also I don't trust him ankles.

What's wrong with his ankles that you don't trust?
Reply/Quote
Fournette is a pure stud if healthy. I personally think that Fournette is leaps and bounds ahead of Hill in all aspects of the game. Some time on the jugs & he will be catching the ball in no time at all.

I really like what Cook brings on the field. He can be an exceptional NFL RB, but his off field stuff concerns me.

LSU was in chaos over the past couple of seasons. I think LF read the writing on the wall and chose to concentrate on his future. I don't blame him with all of the foolishness going on in Baton Rouge recently. I mean they fire Les cause he can't beat Bama but they seem to think that Orgeron is gonna be able to do it....Laughable.

That said, I would choose Fournette. Some of his highlight footage is beast mode! Dalvin can be a stud as well as long as he keeps his head on straight & nose clean. I doubt they take either. I look for them to take best RB available early in the fourth.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:28 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Fournette is a pure stud if healthy. I personally think that Fournette is leaps and bounds ahead of Hill in all aspects of the game. Some time on the jugs & he will be catching the ball in no time at all.

I really like what Cook brings on the field. He can be an exceptional NFL RB but his off field stuff concerns me.

LSU was in chaos over the past couple of seasons. I think LF read the writing on the wall and chose to concentrate on his future. I don't blame him with all of the foolishness going on in Baton Rouge recently. I mean they fire Les cause he can't beat Bama but they seem to think that Orgeron is gonna be able to do it....Laughable.

That said, I would choose Fournette. Some of his highlight footage is beast mode! Dalvin can be a stud as well as long as he keeps his head on straight & nose clean.  I doubt they take either. I look for them to take best RB available early in the fourth.

Les should have been fired well before he was. He was too stubborn to change, and as a result, couldn't put anything resembling an actual offense on the field. The game has long passed him by.
Reply/Quote