Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean Hannity Hints Obama Did Cocaine, Smoked Weed With Travel Ban Judge
(06-07-2017, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: He called himself a "house n---er".

Then he apologized.

Conservatives would be more upset and post about it but they don't see a problem with the phrase.  Ninja

Hell even at the rallies it takes a couple of beers before I'm comfortable using that word.  He was stone cold sober and it came out of his mouth like a greased pig.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-07-2017, 04:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Hell even at the rallies it takes a couple of beers before I'm comfortable using that word.  He was stone cold sober and it came out of his mouth like a greased pig.

Maybe you should get used to speaking in public more.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-07-2017, 04:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe you should get used to speaking in public more.   Mellow

You think it wouldn't bother me with the hood and all, but I swear everyone know my eyes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-07-2017, 04:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You think it wouldn't bother me with the hood and all, but I swear everyone know my eyes.

You sound like a good friend of mine.  Every time we talk politics it takes about 20 minutes and he says "Well, I'm just another racist Trump supporter" even though he doesn't have a racist bone in his body.  It's funny and kind of sad that people think they have to be defensive about something they are not.
(06-07-2017, 03:50 PM)Benton Wrote: That was going to be my question. Never heard of Roberts. Maher is a comedian/talk show host. If he says the hyperbole he usually says on HBO, I don't care. If he says it on a network that says it's solely news, then I'd have more of an issue. People go to one for entertainment and one for facts.

The lines are very, very blurred between shows like Real Time and The Daily Show and opinion shows on cable news.  But Bill Maher, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have at, various times, prided themselves as the only way many of their viewers get and digest news.  So when they say something that is BS, they claim comedic license but still view themselves as an entirely legit opinion show on the news.

Hannity is horrible.  He doesn't give opinions on facts, he gives opinions on speculation/rumors.  He's actually pretty close to those guys, but without the humor.

Otherwise, I don't really get why people think opinions/editorials have no place on a news channel when they've been a staple of newspapers.  Not to compare Hannity with a WaPo editorial, but FNC has like 3M viewers most of whom probably know it's a opinion show and not straight news.  FNC is the source of all evil and ignorance, but only like 3% of voters watch it regularly.  Makes sense.
--------------------------------------------------------

(06-07-2017, 04:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: You sound like a good friend of mine.  Every time we talk politics it takes about 20 minutes and he says "Well, I'm just another racist Trump supporter" even though he doesn't have a racist bone in his body.  It's funny and kind of sad that people think they have to be defensive about something they are not.

No I did it because of your comment with the ninja.  Just having fun, bro.

(06-07-2017, 05:02 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No I did it because of your comment with the ninja.  Just having fun, bro.

I figured you were joking.  My buddy isn't though.  It/he disappoints me.  Good guy but as soon as a conversation starts to show he might be "mistaken" or that Trump might not be all he thinks he is he falls right back on that.  I just try to not talk politics with him.
(06-07-2017, 05:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: I figured you were joking.  My buddy isn't though.  It/he disappoints me.  Good guy but as soon as a conversation starts to show he might be "mistaken" or that Trump might not be all he thinks he is he falls right back on that.  I just try to not talk politics with him.

I literally don't talk politics anywhere but here, and half the time I'm just goofing off here.

(06-07-2017, 04:52 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: The lines are very, very blurred between shows like Real Time and The Daily Show and opinion shows on cable news.  But Bill Maher, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have at, various times, prided themselves as the only way many of their viewers get and digest news.  So when they say something that is BS, they claim comedic license but still view themselves as an entirely legit opinion show on the news.

Hannity is horrible.  He doesn't give opinions on facts, he gives opinions on speculation/rumors.  He's actually pretty close to those guys, but without the humor.

Otherwise, I don't really get why people think opinions/editorials have no place on a news channel when they've been a staple of newspapers.  Not to compare Hannity with a WaPo editorial, but FNC has like 3M viewers most of whom probably know it's a opinion show and not straight news.  FNC is the source of all evil and ignorance, but only like 3% of voters watch it regularly.  Makes sense.

They do have a place. But like Budweiser and Frosted flakes, not in the same bowl.

It's in the packaging. With print, opinion and editorial are segregated. With television news, especially Fox, it's lumped together. The news ticker adds to that confusion. So does using footage from actual news stories.
(06-07-2017, 05:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I literally don't talk politics anywhere but here, and half the time I'm just goofing off here.

There are days I wish I didn't have to discuss politics elsewhere, but I talk policy for work and my studies, and that always turns into politics.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-07-2017, 05:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I literally don't talk politics anywhere but here, and half the time I'm just goofing off here.

90% of my political posts are here.  I have a few friends that can handle a discussion without getting so ticked off they won't speak to each other though.  Smirk

Plus, if you think *I dislike Trump you should meet my mother and sister!  LMAO!

I'm the one telling them to calm down about everything!   Cool
(06-07-2017, 05:37 PM)Benton Wrote: They do have a place. But like Budweiser and Frosted flakes, not in the same bowl.

It's in the packaging. With print, opinion and editorial are segregated. With television news, especially Fox, it's lumped together. The news ticker adds to that confusion. So does using footage from actual news stories.

One of those things that always ticked me off about Paul Harvey (notorious cross dresser).  He weaved facts, stories, opinions and ads all into the same 5 minute bunch of garbaledygook that drove me batty!

I got into a wee bit of trouble at our radio station when I started announcing the sponsorship before his bit as "Paul Harvey News and Rumor" instead of "News and Comment".

Smirk
(06-07-2017, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So an entertainer gives a hypothetical opinion of a former politician.  Where's the news?  Mellow

(06-07-2017, 03:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I just wish people, everyone, would recognize these shows as being for entertainment more than news. That seems to be something a lot of people have trouble sifting through these days.

I did, everyone continued to argue and bicker about it, anyway..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-07-2017, 05:37 PM)Benton Wrote: It's in the packaging. With print, opinion and editorial are segregated. With television news, especially Fox, it's lumped together. The news ticker adds to that confusion. So does using footage from actual news stories.

All the cable news has opinion....At one point, MSNBC was almost all opinion.  I wouldn't say CNN primetime has less opinion/interviews than Fox.  Maybe you think it's "straighter" news because you prefer the content of CNN. CNN has a ticker, too.

And, yeah, an opinion show should have footage and news from real stories - how can it not?  I really have no issue with it.  People want/need the news explained to them, and different perspectives can sometimes have almost polar opposite explanations.  It doesn't make one better or worse than the other, and most bias from the better sources tends to be in terms of what they cover and how much they cover it (rather than what they say).

I mean, that old Carlin joke aside, I think most people can tell the difference between straight news and opinion.  The most insidious thing, that creeps into straight news of all sources, is the cherry picking of facts/data/research to support an agenda.  Yes, alternate facts are very real (and sometimes solid research can have legitimately very different takes).
--------------------------------------------------------

(06-07-2017, 03:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I heard Maher dropped the n-bomb, that's all I know about it. And who is Thomas Roberts?

Shocking that a disciple of the MSM didn't hear much about it.
(06-07-2017, 03:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I heard Maher dropped the n-bomb, that's all I know about it. And who is Thomas Roberts?

(06-07-2017, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: He called himself a "house n---er".

Then he apologized.

Conservatives would be more upset and post about it but they don't see a problem with the phrase.  Ninja

Adorable how you made sure everyone knows that he apologized. He really didn't mean it, he's a liberal. lol

So why don't you tell Bels the rest of the story which wasn't reported much, if at all in the msm?

You know, about the other player in this, liberal icon Al Sharpton who called for Maher to be fired...he himself a frequent user of the word.
But Maher wont get fired because he makes too much money for HBO/ABC whoever.
Similar situation with Bill O'Rielly and FOX...oh wait.

Do you recall who WAS fired for making racist comments about some black women basketball players? ...and how widely it was reported by the MSM? You got it, Don Imus.

Apparently its the liberals except for Al Sharlatan who no longer see a problem with the phrase.
(06-07-2017, 08:30 PM)Vlad Wrote: Adorable how you made sure everyone knows that he apologized. He really didn't mean it, he's a liberal. lol

So why don't you tell Bels the rest of the story which wasn't reported much, if at all in the msm?

You know, about the other player in this, liberal icon Al Sharpton who called for Maher to be fired...he himself a frequent user of the word.
Same goes for Bill O'Rielly and FOX...oh wait.

Do you recall who WAS fired for making racist comments about some black women basketball players? Thats right, Don Imus.

Apparently its the liberals except for Al Sharlatan who no longer see a problem with the phrase.
"But Maher wont get fired because he makes too much money for HBO/ABC whoever.

Same goes for Bill O'Rielly and FOX...oh wait."

Lets see what is worse, Maher jokingly calling HIMSELF a "house niggra" or a bunch of old white men on Fox sexually harassing woman and threatening their careers if they didn't cop up a feel?  That is a tough one.

Sharpton isn't a true liberal, he is a big headed opportunist.

(06-07-2017, 08:30 PM)Vlad Wrote: Adorable how you made sure everyone knows that he apologized. He really didn't mean it, he's a liberal. lol

Do you recall who WAS fired for making racist comments about some black women basketball players? Thats right, Don Imus.

Apparently its the liberals who no longer see a problem with the phrase.

Lot of stuff in there...let's dissect!

Quote:He really didn't mean it, he's a liberal. lol

Do you mean he didn't mean the apology?  Or do you mean he didn't mean to say he was a "house n---er"?  Confusing use of pronouns!

Quote:So why don't you tell Bels the rest of the story which wasn't reported much, if at all in the msm?

What is the "MSM"?

Time?  http://time.com/4805826/bill-maher-racial-slur-n-word/
BET? http://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2017/06/04/bill-maher-reactions.html
NY Times? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/arts/television/bill-maher-n-word.html?_r=0

Or any of the 25,000 results from a quick news search?

Hint:  Google "confirmation bias" while you're there.  ThumbsUp

Quote:You know, about the other player in this, liberal icon Al Sharpton who called for Maher to be fired...he himself a frequent user of the word.

So you're saying Sharpton, vilified by the right usually, treated Maher as did others?  Is that a problem or a good thing?

And is it good or bad because a black man uses the N-word and complained about a white man doing it?

You need to be clear!

Quote:But Maher wont get fired because he makes too much money for HBO/ABC whoever.

Here you tried valiantly to make a comparison...and failed.  BOR was fired for making racist comments.  He did that plenty of times with no repercussions.

BOR was fired because of repeatedly sexually harassing women and the company he made all that money for was tired of paying off his accusers.

Close...but you don't win the cigar.  Sad

Quote:Do you recall who WAS fired for making racist comments about some black women basketball players? Thats right, Don Imus.

Only going back to 1997?  

Why not Jimmy the Greek in 1988?

Or the Smothers Brothers in 1969?

If Don Imus is your go to you need to some better research.

Quote:Apparently its the liberals who no longer see a problem with the phrase.

While you're diligently going through the google search provided for you above you will see many, many liberals who have a problem with what Maher said.

Or do you want ALL liberals to have a problem?  Do you have a problem with it?  Or do you just want him fired because he's a liberal?

Clean up and clarify your comments and we can continue!

In the mean time have a WONDERFUL day!   Rock On
(06-07-2017, 08:25 PM)Vlad Wrote: Shocking that a disciple of the MSM didn't hear much about it.

Nah, I am a primary source person. I only use any news source for breaking alerts, and I rely on non-corporate media for that. I also don't care what entertainment or media personalities do or say. I don't watch their trash, so why should I care?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-07-2017, 08:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: Lot of stuff in there...let's dissect!

Do you mean he didn't mean the apology?  Or do you mean he didn't mean to say he was a "house n---er"?  Confusing use of pronouns!

Oh I'm sure you knew very well what I meant. The typical lib reaction is to play the "he made a mistake card" so lets cut him some slack.

Had a conservative said what Maher said would you have acknowledged that "well, at least he apologized"? .
Nah don't think so.

What is the "MSM"?

The commonly used abbreviation for Mainstream Media, and once again you knew exactly what I meant....

Time?  http://time.com/4805826/bill-maher-racial-slur-n-word/
BET? http://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2017/06/04/bill-maher-reactions.html
NY Times? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/arts/television/bill-maher-n-word.html?_r=0

Or any of the 25,000 results from a quick news search?

Hint:  Google "confirmation bias" while you're there.  ThumbsUp 

You're goin with BET? Time Magazine?
You a funny guy! ...and if you read my statement correctly you would have easily deduced that I was unsure of how much of this story was covered.
Here as well I believe you knew indeed what I meant by the MSM...the MAJOR broadcast media, you know, those popular news channels that Americans are exposed to every night when they come home from their daily grind and turn on the TV.

Maybe this meme will help you.
[Image: mediabias.jpg]

So you're saying Sharpton, vilified by the right usually, treated Maher as did others?  Is that a problem or a good thing?

And is it good or bad because a black man uses the N-word and complained about a white man doing it?

You need to be clear!

Liberals eating their own, coupled with the fact that this Civil Rights icon Sharpton was being just tad hypocritical.
Thats that was about bud. Clear enough?

Here you tried valiantly to make a comparison...and failed.  BOR was fired for making racist comments.  He did that plenty of times with no repercussions.

Really? I "valiantly" tried to make a comparison? It would seem if I valiantly tried to make a comparison between the two wrongdoings I would have done so with more than just an implication.

Plenty of times with no repercussions. And what do you make of that?

BOR was fired because of repeatedly sexually harassing women and the company he made all that money for was tired of paying off his accusers.

Close...but you don't win the cigar.  Sad

As well I will give you partial credit on that one.

Only going back to 1997?  

Why not Jimmy the Greek in 1988?

Or the Smothers Brothers in 1969?

If Don Imus is your go to you need to some better research.

Why not go only back to 1997?
Not sure what you're getting at here. I was merely referring to most recent example of when a media personality was fired for racist speech when it was Imus as the offender.

So was Jimmy the Greek fired.
So were the Smothers Brothers cancelled.

And in each case the story was covered extensively in the msm (now that you understand what that is)
Not so much today, except if it was a conservative. I'm sure you could agree with something so painfully obvious as that.

All you've done here is reinforce my point.

While you're diligently going through the google search provided for you above you will see many, many liberals who have a problem with what Maher said.
Or do you want ALL liberals to have a problem?  Do you have a problem with it?  Or do you just want him fired because he's a liberal?

I certainly hope liberals have a problem with what Maher said being liberals who are in the public eye are the ones primarily known to spew racist comments. They always have.

As far as the rest of that mess, I don't know how you've derived at those...irrelevant to my post.

Clean up and clarify your comments and we can continue!

How about work at clarifying your questions first?

Your "dissecting" is a butcher job. I could just the same "throw shit up against the wall and hope it sticks"  questions right back at you ...but a liberal I am not.

There you have it.