Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Season Predictions
Before camp started I was cautiously optimistic about how this team would do. My scenario was based with the assumption Lafell and Boyd would fill the missing slots, and the Bengals would overcome responding negatively when the Steelers push their buttons, and with no long term injuries to any key players.

With the news about Billings now and all the other injuries that have occurred, without any serious hitting going on, and before any preseason games have been played, I am thinking this could end up more like the schtick prediction I made in the Bold Predictions thread.

I feel a season ahead much like the Ravens had last year. Maybe an 8-8 year??

Would love to be wrong about it!!
Reply/Quote
I am going to say 11-5, AFC North Champions, and a playoff run. If they stay healthy (even given the current rash of injuries), with the likes of Geno, Dunlap, Burfict, Iloka, Williams, A. Jones, Dre K, Andy, AJ, Oline, Gio, Hill, EIfert for the playoffs, they will win it all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 09:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am going to say 11-5, AFC North Champions, and a playoff run.  If they stay healthy (even given the current rash of injuries), with the likes of Geno, Dunlap, Burfict, Iloka, Williams, A. Jones, Dre K, Andy, AJ, Oline, Gio, Hill, EIfert for the playoffs, they will win it all.

IF this plays out, I will be the first to nominate you the Jungle Noise Governor and offer to run your campaign!!!    ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2016, 09:24 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Before camp started I was cautiously optimistic about how this team would do.  My scenario was based with the assumption Lafell and Boyd would fill the missing slots, and the Bengals would overcome responding negatively when the Steelers push their buttons, and with no long term injuries to any key players.

With the news about Billings now and all the other injuries that have occurred, without any serious hitting going on, and before any preseason games have been played, I am thinking this could end up more like the schtick prediction I made in the Bold Predictions thread.

I feel a season ahead much like the Ravens had last year.  Maybe an 8-8 year??

Would love to be wrong about it!!

Most teams go through injuries in the preseason, hell some go down in the offseason workouts.  Sure are injuries thin our depth but when you look at the core outside of "Eiffert" what injury so far really has hit a starter from last year ?  You can;t pencil Jackson or Billings in as a starter and we don't even know yet of Billings status.  Until we start losing people like Dalton, Green, Hill, Aktins there is no way you can compare our injuries to the Ravens last year.  Though I do think people forget that the Ravens were like 1-5 I think before they really were hit with the major injuries to their starters. 

I like what I have seen so far of Lafell and Boyd and still feel confident 10-6/11-5 is in the cards for this team
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 09:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most teams go through injuries in the preseason, hell some go down in the offseason workouts.  Sure are injuries thin our depth but when you look at the core outside of "Eiffert" what injury so far really has hit a starter from last year ?  You can;t pencil Jackson or Billings in as a starter and we don't even know yet of Billings status.  Until we start losing people like Dalton, Green, Hill, Aktins there is no way you can compare our injuries to the Ravens last year.  Though I do think people forget that the Ravens were like 1-5 I think before they really were hit with the major injuries to their starters. 

I like what I have seen so far of Lafell and Boyd and still feel confident 10-6/11-5 is in the cards for this team

This...the core of this team is still intact and because of that the Cincinnati Bengals will be fine, so long as the heavy hitters don't go down with serious injury.

Reply/Quote
I still like them to go 10-6 or 11-5. I will say that the first 6 games concern me. Would love to get out of that stretch no worse than 3-3, maybe sneak a 4-2 out of it.

But, as others have said, we should try to not overthink this. Bottom line is that this roster is still in the upper echelon in the league and better players win more than they don't.
Reply/Quote
I said before 13-3. I'll stick with that. We've lost some guys indefinitely, but it's hard to say how many of them would have contributed much. Marvin never has played rookies much outside of the obvious guys like Green and Dalton. And even before him, I think the organization feels pretty much the same, that it's better to just get the rookies a little time here and there before tossing them in.
Reply/Quote
10-6. 6th straight 1 and done.

Reply/Quote
I say with these early injuries, the team struggles early in the season. This results in major meltdowns in this forum, calls for MLs head, threats of never going to a Bengals game again, and the usually sky is falling mentality. But we get healthy mid to late season, and the infusion of rested players, at critical positions results in all cylinders firing late in the season and into the playoffs. We sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 or possibly 10-6, then not only win that elusive playoff game, but also a couple more to go on a deep playoff run. Predictably, everyone is suddenly happy, knew it all along, and was just kidding when they said they were quitting the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 09:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most teams go through injuries in the preseason, hell some go down in the offseason workouts.  Sure are injuries thin our depth but when you look at the core outside of "Eiffert" what injury so far really has hit a starter from last year ?  You can;t pencil Jackson or Billings in as a starter and we don't even know yet of Billings status.  Until we start losing people like Dalton, Green, Hill, Aktins there is no way you can compare our injuries to the Ravens last year.  Though I do think people forget that the Ravens were like 1-5 I think before they really were hit with the major injuries to their starters. 

I think this season will be big for Eifert as far as whether or not he is sadly one of those 'if only' players.

"He is a great tight end with the potential there to be one of the best ever, 'if only' he could have stayed healthy"
Reply/Quote
Thought Billings was going to be a fine addition to squad.

But his injury does not change my prediction one bit.

Still have our major pieces in place except for Eiffert.

Holding pat on prediction. See original thread.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
10-6 reg season.  Another wildcard playoff berth, but unlike previous years and despite early season dings,  A PLAYOFF WIN.  Then ANOTHER ONE in the divisional round.  Sadly, the success stops there and we lose in the AFC champ game (likely to NE, though Brady will get badly injured by a combination of Geno and Dunlap crushing him to the ground and be forced to retire during the postgame press conference)  So says my crystal ball...
Reply/Quote
Will depend on if our offensive and defensive lines come around.  There's a lot of youth playing right now.   But if we don't get some improvement at tackle and center...
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 12:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Will depend on if our offensive and defensive lines come around.  There's a lot of youth playing right now.   But if we don't get some improvement at tackle and center...

Same thing I was thinking (but just about the offensive line).

We can't do anything with Dalton on the run.
Reply/Quote
Watching the Offense without Eifert and without Sanu and Jones, something is a bit off... I am a bit worried how much other teams will double down on Green... I am going to be optimistic but I am thinking 10-6..
Reply/Quote
I'm still under the firm belief that BengalGuy71 is a Steeler imposter. Always predicts we will fold and that the Steelers will win it all.

We have lost 2 rookies who had an unconfirmed amount of contribution to the team. I don't see them impacting the record with their injuries.

10-6, 11-5, these are solid predictions. 8-8 is shooting low, and you are sounding like Heath Evans.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to picture the Bengals not winning the division. There's not many reasons to be optimistic about the Ravens, who have a pretty ugly looking roster. The Steelers keep getting bad news (Bryant suspension, Bell suspension, Heath retiring, his replacement can't get off the PUP).

With butt fumble leading the donkeys and Brady out 4 games, I have to believe the Bengals should be in contention for a BYE. My optimism ends with the playoffs though. It's just hard to envision a playoff win, no matter how successful they are during the regular season.

If they ever get one though, I have a feeling they'll go on a serious run.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 01:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's hard to picture the Bengals not winning the division. There's not many reasons to be optimistic about the Ravens, who have a pretty ugly looking roster. The Steelers keep getting bad news (Bryant suspension, Bell suspension, Heath retiring, his replacement can't get off the PUP).

With butt fumble leading the donkeys and Brady out 4 games, I have to believe the Bengals should be in contention for a BYE. My optimism ends with the playoffs though. It's just hard to envision a playoff win, no matter how successful they are during the regular season.

If they ever get one though, I have a feeling they'll go on a serious run.

I think the Bengals will be in contention for the bye, but I don't see anyone getting past New England this year.  At worst they probably go 2-2 before Brady comes back, and I think he is going to have a HUGE chip on his shoulder.  Basically I think all the NFL did was really piss him off.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 02:09 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think the Bengals will be in contention for the bye, but I don't see anyone getting past New England this year.  At worst they probably go 2-2 before Brady comes back, and I think he is going to have a HUGE chip on his shoulder.  Basically I think all the NFL did was really piss him off.

Maybe so, but nobody talks about Brady's age (39) and he has to fall off at some point. Not only is his age against him, he won't be allowed to even practice with the team during those 4 weeks, so it's tough to imagine him hitting the ground running. 

It's very possible that the Pats will just steamroll through the adversity, but if there's any year where they'll finally start to tumble, this year looks like a good bet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2016, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe so, but nobody talks about Brady's age (39) and he has to fall off at some point. Not only is his age against him, he won't be allowed to even practice with the team during those 4 weeks, so it's tough to imagine him hitting the ground running. 

It's very possible that the Pats will just steamroll through the adversity, but if there's any year where they'll finally start to tumble, this year looks like a good bet.

He has not had a lot of serious injury, and I've always read that his training regimen is insane (my guess is that sleeping next to Giselle every night tends to keep you "young").  I saw where Goodell ruled he is not even allowed to throw a football to any of the Patriot wide receivers at his house during the suspension.  I personally think that is BS... these guys are employees, not indentured servants.  What they do on their own time, and on their own property, as long as it does not break any laws, is their own business.
Reply/Quote