Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season is already over
There's no doubt in my mind that the NFL will attempt to play a season for the TV revenue. What's most in doubt is the presence of fans in the stands or if they'll be able to finish the season. 
(07-28-2020, 01:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I want there to be a season, but you're acting like factual information that goes against our desire for everything to be fine is a bunch of panic-driven hot air.

No, but no one can say there won't be a season and more certainly than anyone can say there will. Precautions are in place, the plan is to play. All the rest is just hand wringing.
Everybody just calm down. Nerves are on edge over the season. No need to get crappy with eachother. We all surely hope for the season to be played, but none of us really know what's going to happen. Peace my friends.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-28-2020, 12:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) The Premier League returned in late June.  They were able to finish the season in about 1 month's time.

2.) The Premier has only 20 teams. (The NFL has 32)

3.) Their roster size is 25 players. (The NFL's is 55 active + 10 practice squad)

4.) The NFL's coaching and training staff's dwarf those of the Premier League.

5.) England has 55k square miles to travel. The US has 3.79 million miles to travel.

They are just two completely different animals. By using rough math I think you can come to a reasonable estimate that the NFL is 5 times the size of the Premier League in number of personnel. 

When you couple this with the travel, and the fact that so many of our cities have significantly different population densities, you really are attempting something completely different.

I'll be anxious to see what happens with the Premeir League when they start back in the fall.  Will they be able to meet their new opening date?  I have a feeling they just powered through the tail end of their season just because it was so close to it's conclusion.

It wasn't just the EPL that returned. The Championship (24 teams) returned and League 1 and 2 and the National League (think AAA, AA, A+ and A level in baseball) are in play-offs.

There is zero talk of the 2020/21 season being delayed - other than for the need for an off-season and in the cases of those lower league teams sort out the financial implications of playing behind closed doors/reduced capacities.

As for completing it because it was the tail end of the season - other sports have started new seasons. Cricket has just completed an international test series that started after lockdown and domestic cricket has been through its version of training camp and is in the midst of it's pre-season matches without any issues.
(07-28-2020, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, but no one can say there won't be a season and more certainly than anyone can say there will. Precautions are in place, the plan is to play. All the rest is just hand wringing.

Pointing out that other major US leagues are missing whole teams and cancelling games isn't hand wringing, it is a sign that the NFL needs to take note and not just hope for the best. 

I'm not going to give myself an ulcer over this, but new developments can be seen as taking things in the "might be cancelled" direction for the time being.
Time will tell what comes next.
(07-28-2020, 03:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Pointing out that other major US leagues are missing whole teams and cancelling games isn't hand wringing, it is a sign that the NFL needs to take note and not just hope for the best. 

I believe the NFL is doing just that and has already implemented procedures to minimize the effect. 
Call it an extreme measure, but they may have to settle for an extremely truncated season of 6 games - all divisional. Maybe even space the games out once every two weeks to allow for testing/recovery of those who test positive.
Everything in this post is my fault.
(07-28-2020, 04:11 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Call it an extreme measure, but they may have to settle for an extremely truncated season of 6 games - all divisional.  Maybe even space the games out once every two weeks to allow for testing/recovery of those who test positive.

That would be awesome. 

9 game season for everyone - all in division, mitigating flights/travel.

These 9 games are for conference seeding purposes only (make pt differential the tie breaker)

All 32 teams make the 'playoffs'

16 and 16 

Then 8 vs 8

4 vs 4

2 vs 2

Superbowl 

14 game total season for the 2 superbowl teams.  
An out of the box idea would be to move all 32 teams to Canada this season then play the season 6 months up there by Feb 2021 vaccine would be out it would become a non issue
(07-28-2020, 04:24 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: An out of the box idea would be to move all 32 teams to Canada this season then play the season 6 months up there by Feb 2021 vaccine would be out it would become a non issue

I'm not poo pooing the idea, but the Blue Jays are playing down here, and Canada doesn't want us up there right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-28-2020, 04:33 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not poo pooing the idea, but the Blue Jays are playing down here, and Canada doesn't want us up there right now.

Main reason for no is travel issue. Have all players live up there for 6 months. As compensation give them 4 expansion franchises. It would end CFL more than likely but a huge future revenue stream. Then by next cba NFL can expand to 4 teams in europe.
(07-28-2020, 05:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Main reason for no is travel issue. Have all players live up there for 6 months. As compensation give them 4 expansion franchises. It would end CFL more than likely but a huge future revenue stream. Then by next cba NFL can expand to 4 teams in europe.

They would never agree to relocate their lives and families to canada for 6 months. Lol - come on. 

The season is supposed to start in 44 days.  
(07-28-2020, 02:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And I always predict 10 or more wins, it's called being a fan. 

It's called being a homer.
(07-28-2020, 02:57 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: I want to see football as much as anyone but its not gonna happen.

Marlins already have a major outbreak in baseball and it has already effected 3 teams.  It's not just the infections on one team.  Its the team they were playing.  

Now one team goes down and it screws the entire schedule.

Football will be even worse.   I'm just saying,  prepare yourself to be disappointed

If a team goes down with half their squad ill, then they just bring in that many new (uninfected) players and continue. It would be like a really, really bad injury year. You still show up, but you'll suck and get higher picks next season.

(07-28-2020, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All the rest is just hand wringing.

I'm not sure you know what hand wringing actually means, because you certainly don't know how to apply it to this discussion.

Your repeated use of it reminds of a teenager, who's overusing a word or phrase that they happened to come across in a book checked out from the YA section.
I love and miss football. I am a optimist, but a realist. Based on today's situation of not having control of stopping the virus, I am leaning towards the NFL season being moved to start in March (spring), college as well.

I just don't see anyone without a vaccine to keep the players, refs and coaches healthy.

Or if no 2020 and we skip a year, I would think NFL would keep same draft sequence which would mean we get another #1 overall pick to keep or trade. I would be willing to miss a year for that scenario.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(07-28-2020, 08:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love and miss football. I am a optimist, but a realist. Based on today's situation of not having control of stopping the virus, I am leaning towards the NFL season being moved to start in March (spring), college as well.

I just don't see anyone without a vaccine to keep the players, refs and coaches healthy.

Or if no 2020 and we skip a year, I would think NFL would keep same draft sequence which would mean we get another #1 overall pick to keep or trade. I would be willing to miss a year for that scenario.

But would we lose one of 5 rookie-deal burrow years?

Losing 20% of him is a big deal 
(07-28-2020, 08:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's called being a homer.

You're right, I root for the home team.  Nervous Nervous Nervous 
(07-28-2020, 08:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not sure you know what hand wringing actually means, because you certainly don't know how to apply it to this discussion.

Your repeated use of it reminds of a teenager, who's overusing a word or phrase that they happened to come across in a book checked out from the YA section.

Well, I wouldn't know because I don't hang out in the YA section, so you'll have to explain it to me since you obviously do.
(07-29-2020, 09:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You're right, I root for the home team.  Nervous Nervous Nervous 

So, you admittedly just say non sensical stuff about the team, and are constantly wrong about nearly everything, cause you think thats your role as a bengals fan - all because 'you root for them'

Lol.  You are not a better fan than me because you tout delusion and ignore common sense, foresight and logic. 

If anything, you are a bigger part of the franchise problem - always predicting 10 wins, etc.   What a joke