Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season is already over
(07-31-2020, 12:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd like to see a report that shows the total amount of test adminstered for each country.  Because that could go a long way in exlaining many of the numbers we see in these comparisons.  I can't put stock into postitive cases for the US vs others without knowing the amount of testing being done in each.

I believe this one is updated daily....
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?
(07-31-2020, 12:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd like to see a report that shows the total amount of test adminstered for each country.  Because that could go a long way in exlaining many of the numbers we see in these comparisons.  I can't put stock into postitive cases for the US vs others without knowing the amount of testing being done in each.

I get my numbers from this website:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

In the table, you can see they have a column for total tests and tests per 1 million people.
Each column header can be clicked to order the entire table from highest to lowest or vice versa.

They have a sources tab which details where they get their data.
https://www.worldometers.info/sources/

Johns Hopkins is good for information within America, as they break a lot of info down by state and county as well, but they don't have all that much information on international numbers, at least as far as I could find navigating their website. Their testing section, for instance, seems to be entirely focused on the US.

I found this website too, which charts data collected from multiple countries:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
It can be a bit overwhelming though, as there's so much data to chart.
(07-28-2020, 03:02 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It wasn't just the EPL that returned. The Championship (24 teams) returned and League 1 and 2 and the National League (think AAA, AA, A+ and A level in baseball) are in play-offs.

There is zero talk of the 2020/21 season being delayed - other than for the need for an off-season and in the cases of those lower league teams sort out the financial implications of playing behind closed doors/reduced capacities.

As for completing it because it was the tail end of the season - other sports have started new seasons. Cricket has just completed an international test series that started after lockdown and domestic cricket has been through its version of training camp and is in the midst of it's pre-season matches without any issues.

Cricket has not doing that well, cancelled it's World Cup in Australia.
The nice thing about football vs baseball is week between games and a lot less travel and interaction
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-29-2020, 01:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Almost every player in the NFL will have no issue with the virus, yet, we will shut down the country for it.  

(07-29-2020, 03:33 PM)Mer Wrote: You are correct!!

Now get ready for some backlash from the fear mongers.

Link to us shutting down the country because of the NFL games.

Or at least a link to the "backlash from the fear mongers".  The NBA and MLB are both playing and I honestly have not heard a lot of people saying they should shut down.  If there is then it is a very small minority.

Are you sure you guys aren't just making up some straw men to knock down?
(07-31-2020, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link to us shutting down the country because of the NFL games.

Or at least a link to the "backlash from the fear mongers".  The NBA and MLB are both playing and I honestly have not heard a lot of people saying they should shut down.  If there is then it is a very small minority.

I'll say this much basketball sucks without fans. Awesome scrimmage bro.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-31-2020, 02:02 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I get my numbers from this website:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

In the table, you can see they have a column for total tests and tests per 1 million people.
Each column header can be clicked to order the entire table from highest to lowest or vice versa.

They have a sources tab which details where they get their data.
https://www.worldometers.info/sources/

Johns Hopkins is good for information within America, as they break a lot of info down by state and county as well, but they don't have all that much information on international numbers, at least as far as I could find navigating their website. Their testing section, for instance, seems to be entirely focused on the US.

I found this website too, which charts data collected from multiple countries:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
It can be a bit overwhelming though, as there's so much data to chart.
Probably the best sites for data, I use them all the time too.
The really interesting question is if the season doesn't happen, what happens to contracts, the draft, and college players eligibility?

Some players will be pretty upset to have to wait another year to get to free agency as they still aged a year even without playing.

The draft will have to be a lottery system I suppose and if the Bengals end up number 1, there is a huge debate to be had when you have Burrow and would have the chance to draft the best QB prospect in a decade. Think you have to take him and let the two battle it out and trade whoever doesn't win the job.

If there is no college football, does that keep players from going pro?? No sports doesn't keep them from being in school another year and reaching the threshold to declare.

Lots of dominoes fall if the season is cancelled.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(07-31-2020, 05:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The nice thing about football vs baseball is week between games and a lot less travel and interaction

I'll give you less travel and more time between games but the less interaction I'd have to disagree with. Larger rosters and larger coaching staffs so more guys standing closer together plus baseball and basketball at most would have 2 guys close to each other on any given play, in the NFL the O-line and D-line are always in physical contact with each other not too mention the ball carrier being tackled by one or more guys each play. There is a lot more up close interaction in football then any other sport.

I'm not hopping on the season over train just yet, but they need to get their shit together in terms of protocols. The NBA is rolling with two weeks of no positives. MLB, not so much due to the Marlins deciding to let infected players play through a freaking group text. Also doesn't help that the MLB players union basically vetoed more stringent restrictions and are acting like jackasses ignoring protocols that were agreed upon. Baseball will be lucky to last into the second week of August.
(08-01-2020, 02:12 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The really interesting question is if the season doesn't happen, what happens to contracts, the draft, and college players eligibility?

Some players will be pretty upset to have to wait another year to get to free agency as they still aged a year even without playing.

The draft will have to be a lottery system I suppose and if the Bengals end up number 1, there is a huge debate to be had when you have Burrow and would have the chance to draft the best QB prospect in a decade. Think you have to take him and let the two battle it out and trade whoever doesn't win the job.

If there is no college football, does that keep players from going pro?? No sports doesn't keep them from being in school another year and reaching the threshold to declare.

Lots of dominoes fall if the season is cancelled.

Why in the world would we take Lawrence? Burrow is the one that set the college football record books on fire, and beat Lawrence (handily) head-to-head.

If we get the #1 pick take Sewell and don’t think twice about it.

Come to the dark side and watch hockey. The NHL qualifiers start today. 12 straight hours of hockey from noon to midnight.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(07-31-2020, 07:15 PM)jason Wrote: I'll say this much basketball sucks without fans. Awesome scrimmage bro.

Who watches a game for the fans?

I am thrilled to have sports back.  And it seems like every NBA game I have seen has been either overtime or really close down to the wire.
(07-31-2020, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link to us shutting down the country because of the NFL games.

I was referring to the folks on here being fear mongers. You know the ones that have taken the media's bait hook line and sinker about this "pandemic".
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

(08-01-2020, 10:58 AM)Mer Wrote: You know the ones that have taken the media's bait hook line and sinker about this "pandemic".

The most popular news network in the coutry is NOT "media"?

Thanks for showing who is REALLY being manipulated by the media they consume.  

"Repeat after me.  FoxNews is not media.  There is no pandemic.  It is not real. Always put quotations around the word."
(08-01-2020, 10:58 AM)Mer Wrote: I was referring to the folks on here being fear mongers. You know the ones that have taken the media's bait hook line and sinker about this "pandemic".

Seriously?  You actually think the whole thing is a hoax?  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
(07-31-2020, 05:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The nice thing about football vs baseball is week between games and a lot less travel and interaction

(08-01-2020, 02:15 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'll give you less travel and more time between games but the less interaction I'd have to disagree with. Larger rosters and larger coaching staffs so more guys standing closer together plus baseball and basketball at most would have 2 guys close to each other on any given play, in the NFL the O-line and D-line are always in physical contact with each other not too mention the ball carrier being tackled by one or more guys each play. There is a lot more up close interaction in football then any other sport.

Both good points. Something else to consider is when a player does get the rona, he may only miss one game, possibly 2. I am surprised to see with baseball and the ordeal with the marlins, and then Cardinals and they have not pulled the plug. Hopefully they fight through this and it's probably got player support to continue or this thing would have been done already. It could end up badly but I sure hope not.

(08-01-2020, 02:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why in the world would we take Lawrence? Burrow is the one that set the college football record books on fire, and beat Lawrence (handily) head-to-head.

If we get the #1 pick take Sewell and don’t think twice about it.

Because everyone that covers, watches or discusses football that isn't on this board ranks Lawrence as a better prospect. 

What was it this board keep repeating on a loop..
When you have the chance to take a franchise changing QB, you do it. News flash, Lawrence is more franchise changing.

Also, Burrow beat Clemson's defense... Never played against Lawrence. 

Dumbest thing I ever hear... saying Brady beat Manning or etc etc... the QBs never play each other they can only play the game against the Defense 

(08-01-2020, 02:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Both good points. Something else to consider is when a player does get the rona, he may only miss one game, possibly 2. I am surprised to see with baseball and the ordeal with the marlins, and then Cardinals and they have not pulled the plug. Hopefully they fight through this and it's probably got player support to continue or this thing would have been done already. It could end up badly but I sure hope not.

Yeah the Marlins thing is crazy. Shows how fast this thing cam spread.

Doesn't help that baseball players are high fiving, spitting and not wearing masks. All things they agreed to for their health 

(08-01-2020, 10:58 AM)Mer Wrote: I was referring to the folks on here being fear mongers. You know the ones that have taken the media's bait hook line and sinker about this "pandemic".

When you have a few family members and friends get put on a ventilator or die from the "hoax" you'll hopefully change your mind. Cause, it is real, I've seen it first hand.