Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season is already over
(08-02-2020, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course.

Can't you see the huge benefit they all get from destroying their own economies?

Obviously it is all worth a worlwide financial crisis if they can get us to wear masks in public places and stay six feet away from each other.  If you don't understand that then you have been brainwashed byt the media.

And, oh yeah, the "media" does not include the #1 most popular news network in America.

It all makes perfect sense.

SUBMISSION!!!

"They" need us to spread out and wear masks so "they" test their partial facial recognition technology on us. The coin shortage? Phasing out paper money. There's metal in all vaccinations, and Bill Gates wants to microchip all of us... On top of all of that Anthony Fauci, Colin Kaepernick, and the Wuhan lab are infecting us with 5G.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Back on topic a bit. I don't think the season is over before it starts, but it is in jeopardy. I don't think were going to see a normal NFL season by any means, but I'm not willing to right it off the whole season just yet. I hear MLB may shut down if things don't improve in a hurry which sucks and the Big Ten is now considering canceling all fall sports, which really sucks. Let's hope things get better and soon because the fall and winter without Bengals football, you guessed it, would really suck! Who Dey!!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-02-2020, 02:04 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Back on topic a bit. I don't think the season is over before it starts, but it is in jeopardy. I don't think were going to see a normal NFL season by any means, but I'm not willing to right it off the whole season just yet. I hear MLB may shut down if things don't improve in a hurry which sucks and the Big Ten is now considering canceling all fall sports, which really sucks. Let's hope things get better and soon because the fall and winter without Bengals football, you guessed it, would really suck! Who Dey!!!

The NFL needs to really pay attention to MLB right now, and learn (quickly) from their mistakes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-02-2020, 02:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Right...and I recently saw an article from the Mayo Clinic that estimated that 70% of the US population would have to get and recover from COVID-19 in order to develop a herd immunity. If that number is even close to being accurate, you're talking about millions of deaths potentially. The idea that the US should purposely try to develop a herd immunity at this point is an incredibly dangerous and irresponsible idea.

I'm really confused by this line of thinking, especially if the goal is to have as few deaths as possible while fighting this virus. I don't really talk about this topic at all on the board, but some notions are just so out there, at least IMO, it makes it hard not to respond.

Your exactly right. How many more would get sick and die to achieve herd immunity? The scary part is that if a working vaccine ( I pray we get one soon!) cannot be found, we may achieve herd immunity in the long run, but at what price.
As for the actual football season...personally, I think there's zero chance they play 16 games. If there is a season, I think it will end up being a shortened one...either the start will be delayed or the season will be cut short because of issues that get out of control.

I would love to be wrong, and hopefully I am 100%, but I just don't see a full season. 
(08-02-2020, 02:10 PM)jason Wrote: The NFL needs to really pay attention to MLB right now, and learn (quickly) from their mistakes.

They need to expand on the NBA model their is still time. 32 mini bubbles each player/coach can invite 5 other people to live in mini bubble.only way to salvage this without being a complete dumpster fire. they could expand on this to college football the president could enact emergency bubble compensation so college players could be compensated for playing in a pandemic.
(08-02-2020, 02:13 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Your exactly right. How many more would get sick and die to achieve herd immunity? The scary part is that if a working vaccine ( I pray we get one soon!) cannot be found, we may achieve herd immunity in the long run, but at what price.

Well said brother.
(08-02-2020, 02:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As for the actual football season...personally, I think there's zero chance they play 16 games. If there is a season, I think it will end up being a shortened one...either the start will be delayed or the season will be cut short because of issues that get out of control.

I would love to be wrong, and hopefully I am 100%, but I just don't see a full season. 

Agreed... They should probably get out in front of it right now. No fans, division games only, division winners to the playoffs, no postseason byes, and get the Super Bowl on.... And of course asterisk season.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-02-2020, 02:04 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Back on topic a bit. I don't think the season is over before it starts, but it is in jeopardy. I don't think were going to see a normal NFL season by any means, but I'm not willing to right it off the whole season just yet. I hear MLB may shut down if things don't improve in a hurry which sucks and the Big Ten is now considering canceling all fall sports, which really sucks. Let's hope things get better and soon because the fall and winter without Bengals football, you guessed it, would really suck! Who Dey!!!

There are actually more cases now than when we originally shut down most businesses.  But everyone knew shutting down would not make it go away.  The goal was just to slow it down so that or medical facilities would not be overwhelmed i.e. "flatten the curve".

So the question is if things are getting better or worse.  It seems it is getting worse in some places but levelling out and even decreasing in others.

Hopefully if it spikes again people will take it seriously this time.  That was the problem when we re-opened.  Too many people ignored sound medical advice and failed to take proper precautions.
(08-02-2020, 02:14 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As for the actual football season...personally, I think there's zero chance they play 16 games. If there is a season, I think it will end up being a shortened one...either the start will be delayed or the season will be cut short because of issues that get out of control.

This is pretty much my line of thinking.

Hopefully if trh MLB season crashes, which is starting to look more likely, the NFL players and teams will take it as a warning and follow the rules to keep it under control.
(08-01-2020, 10:36 PM)Mer Wrote: I don't believe it's a hoax as folks keep coining me with. I think it's politically driven and the media is over playing it all to scare us into submission. 

Feel the same, this is a terrible pandemic and I believe people should wear masks, I just cannot believe that this is not a tactic
of some sort. Have seen it time after time with the left. I know they will hate on me, but I am not trying to be political.

It is terrible what has happened, I don't think anyone denies that.

(08-01-2020, 10:51 PM)Mer Wrote: There are actually countries out there that didn't change things and they have developed herd immunity there, but you won't hear about that on the news. It doesn't raise their ratings to report positive news. Unfortunately, as most people already know, it attacks older folks and those with compromised immune systems just as other viruses do. Are we going to shut down schools and businesses now every time a new virus comes along?

(08-02-2020, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Link?

Sweden.

(08-02-2020, 10:52 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: This is ridiculous.  How can you downplay one of the worst pandemics killing people by the thousands?  I don't understand the logic.

But you can exaggerate in order to destroy the economy of America. Which I believe is happening, sorry to say.

This is a terrible pandemic and we need to keep the people safe but destroying the economy to do so is not the answer.
(08-02-2020, 07:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, this is a terrible pandemic and I believe people should wear masks, I just cannot believe that this is not a tactic
of some sort. Have seen it time after time with the left. I know they will hate on me, but I am not trying to be political.

Sweden.

But you can exaggerate in order to destroy the economy of America. Which I believe is happening, sorry to say.

This is a terrible pandemic and we need to keep the people safe but destroying the economy to do so is not the answer.

I’m taking this to PNR also.
MLB has made some changes to keep the season going. Some will probably be permanent changes. I think the NFL will do something similar to minimize exposure and shorten the game. For example, wear a shield under the facemask. Or have a college type of overtime.
Who Dey!  Tiger
(08-02-2020, 07:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, this is a terrible pandemic and I believe people should wear masks, I just cannot believe that this is not a tactic

Sweden.

Sweden isn't a good example anymore to point to that herd immunity works. Actually herd immunity only works if the herd actually has immunity overall, and in Sweden they don't. They are seeing sharp spikes recently in Covid and their death rate is now higher than the U.S. per million people. They also have 10 million people (Ohio), and are pretty well isolated from rest of world which helped their numbers for the first few months. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Just saw that the Eagles HC Peterson has it. So they will be without their HC for first couple of weeks of camp (I am assuming). He has to have multiple negative tests before returning tho.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29585609/eagles-coach-doug-pederson-tests-positive-covid-19
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(08-02-2020, 11:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Sweden isn't a good example anymore to point to that herd immunity works. Actually herd immunity only works if the herd actually has immunity overall, and in Sweden they don't. They are seeing sharp spikes recently in Covid and their death rate is now higher than the U.S. per million people. They also have 10 million people (Ohio), and are pretty well isolated from rest of world which helped their numbers for the first few months. 

Even in the first few months their death rate was higher than Ohio's. I remember looking it up when a similar discussion had come up in real life. They have a similar population to the state of Ohio, but obviously many more square miles.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Season is already over UPDATE: The season is still on....
(08-02-2020, 07:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  I just cannot believe that this is not a tactic of some sort. Have seen it time after time with the left. I know they will hate on me, but I am not trying to be political.

I don't even understand this logic.  

What exactly does "the left" have to gain by forcing people to wear masks and stay 6 feet away from each other?  
What is the goal of this "tactic"? 

And when exactly have you "seen it before"?  I clearly remember when the right used a campaign of lies and disinformation to convince over half the population that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9-11, but they had the clear goal of justifying a military invasion.  I just don't see what he left has to gain by getting people to wear masks.
(08-02-2020, 11:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Sweden isn't a good example anymore to point to that herd immunity works. Actually herd immunity only works if the herd actually has immunity overall, and in Sweden they don't. They are seeing sharp spikes recently in Covid and their death rate is now higher than the U.S. per million people. They also have 10 million people (Ohio), and are pretty well isolated from rest of world which helped their numbers for the first few months. 

Their death rates are over ten times the rate of their neighbors Finland and Norway.

The people in Sweden who are trying to argue that they are reaching herd immunity are relying on the theory that once a person has the virus he will be immune for up to six months.  That has not been proven at all.
(08-03-2020, 11:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Their death rates are over ten times the rate of their neighbors Finland and Norway.

The people in Sweden who are trying to argue that they are reaching herd immunity are relying on the theory that once a person has the virus he will be immune for up to six months.  That has not been proven at i

If it doesn't. then it seems to me that the vaccine is pointless as well.
Go Benton Panthers!!