Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Send Jacksen Packing
(01-12-2022, 02:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I remember that Whit didn't get the job at tackle until he was 27 years old.  Carman is, what, 21?

He started 12 games at LT as a rookie when Levi went down Wink

And yes, he turns 22 in 10 days :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(01-12-2022, 02:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He started 12 games at LT as a rookie when Levi went down Wink

And yes, he turns 22 in 10 days :)

I meant he didn't become the full time starter at LT until he was 27, and the point was just not to give up on him so quickly.  
(01-12-2022, 12:11 PM)samhain Wrote: I respect Paul Alexander as a OL guru for his entire body of work.  he gets judged harshly for how things ended here and his closeness to the ownership.  Regardless, the dude was a genius when it came to grooming OL for a long time.  

Body of work? Alexander was the O-line coach during the lost decade. Alexander only kept his job because of his butt kissing with the ownership. He is only surpassed by Turner as being one of the worst o-line coaches for the Bengals. He was horrible and the pure mention of him being good makes me want to throw up in my mouth. He was horrible and they stuck with him ten years longer than they should had,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(01-13-2022, 09:46 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Body of work?  Alexander was the O-line coach during the lost decade.  Alexander only kept his job because of his butt kissing with the ownership.  He is only surpassed by Turner as being one of the worst o-line coaches for the Bengals.  He was horrible and the pure mention of him being good makes me want to throw up in my mouth.  He was horrible and they stuck with him ten years longer than they should had,

Horrible take. Alexander gets the blame for Ogbhuehi and Fisher (Fish not so much because he developed a heart condition), but he coached some brilliant offensive lines. 
(01-13-2022, 09:46 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Body of work?  Alexander was the O-line coach during the lost decade.  

In the 12 years from 1990 to 2001 the Bengals used a grand total of ONE draft pick in the first two rounds on an offensive lineman. That is a big reason Paul didn't have a lot of success early in his tenure as the Bengals O-line coach.

(01-13-2022, 09:46 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Alexander only kept his job because of his butt kissing with the ownership.  He is only surpassed by Turner as being one of the worst o-line coaches for the Bengals.  He was horrible and the pure mention of him being good makes me want to throw up in my mouth.  He was horrible and they stuck with him ten years longer than they should had,

Over the first 8 years that PFF started ranking offensive lines ('08-'15) the Bengals ranked number one in the league is pass protection. And they were very consistent ranking in the top six in the league every year but one.  These were not the subjective individual rankings.  These were rankings base on objective stats and formulas.

In 2016 Sports Illustrated selected him as the best O-line coach in the league   Bengals' Paul Alexander on ultimate NFL coaching staff - Sports Illustrated[/size][/color]
(01-13-2022, 09:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Horrible take. Alexander gets the blame for Ogbhuehi and Fisher (Fish not so much because he developed a heart condition), but he coached some brilliant offensive lines. 

Those two pick plus trading up to draft Bodine signaled the end for Alexander.

He was good for many years and I defended him, but, like Marvin, at the end I agreed it was time for him to go.
(01-13-2022, 09:46 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Body of work? Alexander was the O-line coach during the lost decade. Alexander only kept his job because of his butt kissing with the ownership. He is only surpassed by Turner as being one of the worst o-line coaches for the Bengals. He was horrible and the pure mention of him being good makes me want to throw up in my mouth. He was horrible and they stuck with him ten years longer than they should had,

Wha?

The picks of Ogbuehi and Fisher (and Bodine!) set us back quite a bit, but the lost decade had a number of good to great players on the line; Dillon doesn't set the single game rushing record without the stout line in front of him.

His body of work is quite impressive and he did a lot with a little, not to mention finding some good FA OL in Braham, Richmond Webb, John Jackson, Bobbie, Evan Mathis, Matt O'Dwyer, etc.

Awful, awful take.
I'm totally going to be that guy right now.

So now that Volson is PROBABLY the starter, i'm here to collect what i'm owed.
(08-27-2022, 09:46 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I'm totally going to be that guy right now.

So now that Volson is PROBABLY the starter, i'm here to collect what i'm owed.

Not going anywhere.

Funny thing is, Volson played just as bad last week, but nobody will admit it.
(08-27-2022, 09:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not going anywhere.

He's a TRASH guard.

The only reason i'd keep him on the team is he can can provide some value at RT backing up La'el. He might be better then Ass-iah  Prince.

The fact that he couldn't take the spot over Adeniji was enough of an indicator of what we had. Nobody wanted to admit it, but now they have no choice but to.

In Volsons defense he seemed to play fairly well when going against the starters. 

In Carmen's defense I don't think he played bad tonight. He created some holes run blocking and held up pretty well in pass blocking. Smith was by far the worst looking on the line this Preseason. 
(08-27-2022, 09:57 PM)TheFan Wrote: In Volsons defense he seemed to play fairly well when going against the starters. 

In Carmen's defense I don't think he played bad tonight. He created some holes run blocking and held up pretty well in pass blocking. Smith was by far the worst looking on the line this Preseason. 

Had a hold and gave up a sack on a play he clearly gave up on...whiffed on a pull.

He was awful.
(08-27-2022, 09:59 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Had a hold and gave up a sack on a play he clearly gave up on...whiffed on a pull.

He was awful.

If you watched the game then you would know that hold was an absolute trash call.

I didn't see the sack so I can't speak to that play specifically. Other than the sack then he played well.
(08-27-2022, 10:01 PM)TheFan Wrote: If you watched the game then you would know that hold was an absolute trash call.

I didn't see the sack so I can't speak to that play specifically. Other than the sack then he played well.

I watched the game. Seemed like a legit call.

Paul Dehner seems to agree.

(1) Paul Dehner Jr. on Twitter: "Add a holding call on to Jackson Carman's bingo card." / Twitter

Against way better competition. And Volson at least gives you a positive play for every negative one. Carman might give you one or two positive plays a game.

Well, I guess we can always thank Carman for helping us get McPherson. Once the Bengals locked in on drafting him, they were able to trade down and got the extra picks. They might never have used the 5th round pick for McPherson if they felt they still had pressing needs.

Looking for a silver lining here. Because that Carman pick is not looking all that great right now (nor the Shelvin pick that came from one of those 4th rounders they picked up.)
(08-27-2022, 09:56 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: He's a TRASH guard.

The only reason i'd keep him on the team is he can can provide some value at RT backing up La'el. He might be better then Ass-iah  Prince.

The fact that he couldn't take the spot over Adeniji was enough of an indicator of what we had. Nobody wanted to admit it, but now they have no choice but to.

You're a trash poster.

(08-27-2022, 09:59 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Had a hold and gave up a sack on a play he clearly gave up on...whiffed on a pull.

He was awful.

You're awful.

And you can't pull on pass pro, that's blocking downfield.

It was a looping defender and he didn't get there in time.

(08-27-2022, 10:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Against way better competition. And Volson at least gives you a positive play for every negative one. Carman might give you one or two positive plays a game.

False actually; he played WELL against better competition and looked like crap in the 2nd half/drive before second half, against PS players.

Again, I have no horse in this race, I just want the best person to play. Carman may not be the answer, but Volson hasn't been great at all.
(08-27-2022, 10:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, I guess we can always thank Carman for helping us get McPherson. Once the Bengals locked in on drafting him, they were able to trade down and got the extra picks. They might never have used the 5th round pick for McPherson if they felt they still had pressing needs.

Looking for a silver lining here. Because that Carman pick is not looking all that great right now (nor the Shelvin pick that came from one of those 4th rounders they picked up.)

The early returns on D’Ante Smith look bad, too. That entire trade hasn’t worked out very well so far.

Could have taken Cosmi or Humphrey. But oh well.

(08-27-2022, 10:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: False actually; he played WELL against better competition and looked like crap in the 2nd half/drive before second half, against PS players.

Again, I have no horse in this race, I just want the best person to play. Carman may not be the answer, but Volson hasn't been great at all.

He had some bad reps in the 1st half as well, but he clearly wore down as the game went on. Conditioning could be an issue early on in the season until he gets used to playing a full NFL game.

He’s still shown more than Carman, though. I’d be very surprised if he’s not the week 1 starter.

(08-27-2022, 10:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You're a trash poster.

You're awful.

And you can't pull on pass pro, that's blocking downfield.

It was a looping defender and he didn't get there in time.

False actually; he played WELL against better competition and looked like crap in the 2nd half/drive before second half, against PS players.

I'm a better judge of player ability than you, if the last few years are any indicator.

I'm also gonna point out that i've never called you out our name during our contentious convos over the years. Ima ask you one time to give me the same courtesy. 

You're bad at just admitting when you're just wrong on certain things. I'm referring to two diff plays on the second thing you quoted. Be better.