Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously? A lion?
Did a quick search on safari's. This is an add on to an existing package.

http://www.africahuntlodge.com/hunt_packages.asp

Quote:Big Five Pricing
Leopard Hunts - $35,000
Cape Buffalo Hunts - $14990
Female Cape Buffalo Hunts - $4990
Elephant Hunts - $42000
Lion Hunts - $16500 - $35000
Lioness Hunts - $9900
White Rhino Hunt - $125,000
White Rhino Green Hunt - $12,500
(For Leopard and Rhino Hunt, Daily rates and permits included)

The listed Trophy Fees include Field Dressing and transportation of game to local Taxidermist. The Trophy Fees do not include the Daily Fees.
Daily Fees

1 Hunter/ 1 PH - $345 per hunter per day
2 Hunters/ 1 PH - $295 per hunter per day
Bow Hunter/ 1 PH - $345 per hunter per day
Observer Fees - $150 per person per day
Reply/Quote
[Image: uyBnPr0.jpg]
Reply/Quote
https://gma.yahoo.com/cecil-lions-brother-jericho-shot-killed-says-zimbabwe-184520985--abc-news-topstories.html

Looks like somebody got the brother.

Quote:"It is with huge disgust and sadness that we have just been informed that Jericho, Cecil's brother has been killed at 4pm today," the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force said in a Facebook post. "We are absolutely heart broken."

# Lion Lives matter
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 02:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes he does have that responsibility.   And if there is a fine he should pay..  But other than a fine he should be clear.  The outrage by others is just over the top.

You don't get a pass on breaking the law because someone you hired led you to unknowingly break the law.

Apparently he got in trouble years ago for an illegal hunt of a bear in WI.  So it seems maybe this guy either intentionally hires questionable guides, or he doesn't invest adequate due diligence (including educating himself on the applicable laws and permits).
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 05:09 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: You don't get a pass on breaking the law because someone you hired led you to unknowingly break the law.

Apparently he got in trouble years ago for an illegal hunt of a bear in WI.  So it seems maybe this guy either intentionally hires questionable guides, or he doesn't invest adequate due diligence (including educating himself on the applicable laws and permits).

Maybe he just is cheap on guides. Idk. I am not saying he isn't wrong. But none of this should bring him any punishment other than a fine .

Some people actually want him thrown in the hoosegow. To me that's nuts. It's a lion.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 05:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Maybe he just is cheap on guides.  Idk.   I am not saying he isn't wrong.   But none of this should bring him any punishment other than a fine .  

Some people actually want him thrown in the hoosegow.   To me that's nuts.    It's a lion.

I wouldn't consider 30 days in jail unreasonable.  He broke the law (maybe), a law that is significant to tourist and hunting revenues locally.  And in that regard I think we lack perspective - harsh laws to protect the main sources of revenues.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 05:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Maybe he just is cheap on guides.  Idk.   I am not saying he isn't wrong.   But none of this should bring him any punishment other than a fine .  

Some people actually want him thrown in the hoosegow.   To me that's nuts.    It's a lion.

You can't blame it all on the guides. According to the story, they lured the lion out of the park boundaries with a carcass dragged behind a truck, then shot the lion when he was outside the protected area. The dentist cannot claim he did not know that was being done.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 08:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's crazy.   Also not his fault for the guides he hired.    

its super expensive to take a safari.   Everyone needs to lay off this guy.   He just hired bad people .

Actually, I agree. It sounds like it was the guides fault. I can't see laying blame on this guy.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 06:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I wouldn't consider 30 days in jail unreasonable.  He broke the law (maybe), a law that is significant to tourist and hunting revenues locally.  And in that regard I think we lack perspective - harsh laws to protect the main sources of revenues.

30 days in an African Jail is quite different
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 06:06 PM)Beaker Wrote: You can't blame it all on the guides. According to the story, they lured the lion out of the park boundaries with a carcass dragged behind a truck, then shot the lion when he was outside the protected area. The dentist cannot claim he did not know that was being done.

The guides are in charge of all that.... And he paid for their expertise. And even if the dentist ordered the guides to lure the prized lion out so he could drug him then kill him. The guides could have turned him in straight away.

What I suspect happened was the guides couldn't find the guy any lions and did what they had to do to get one. The fact the dentist posted the pics on his social media acct proves he had no idea. You don't knowingly break the law and then post pics on social media.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 07:01 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The guides are in charge of all that.... And he paid for their expertise.   And even if the dentist ordered the guides to lure the prized lion out so he could drug him then kill him.    The guides could have turned him in straight away.    

What I suspect happened was the guides couldn't find the guy any lions and did what they had to do to get one.   The fact the dentist posted the pics on his social media acct proves he had no idea.  You don't knowingly break the law and then post pics on social media.

I'm not even a hunter and I know baiting an animal out of a protected area to kill it is illegal. He knew exactly what was going on.
Reply/Quote
And for all you who think the dentist should be sent to Zimbabwe .... Does killing a lion deserve this ...

I mean come on.... It's a lion and the guy was on a safari to hunt lion.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 09:36 PM)Beaker Wrote: I'm not even a hunter and I know baiting an animal out of a protected area to kill it is illegal. He knew exactly what was going on.

It's just a lion. Zimbabwe makes loads off these hunting trips.

Unless he baited the lion from the park . Which it's obvious he didn't .... He should be clear. Now his guides will have to answer why they baited him out.

Either way it's just a lion. People are gonna eat loads of lion because of that dentist. And he gets a cool mount.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 09:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's just a lion. Zimbabwe makes loads off these hunting trips.

Unless he baited the lion from the park . Which it's obvious he didn't .... He should be clear. Now his guides will have to answer why they baited him out.

Either way it's just a lion. People are gonna eat loads of lion because of that dentist. And he gets a cool mount.

You can keep saying "it's just a lion" all you want. Apparently, poaching one of them is a pretty big deal in Zimbabwe, regardless of how you value them. And, he knowlingly participated in a poaching in that country. He knew his guides were poaching, and even though he may not have put the meat out himself, he knew it was being done on his behalf. Therefore, he broke the law, plain and simple. So, he should stand and answer for that. Our government should allow his extradition to Zimbabwe and show the world that Americans play by the rules. Even rich, small-weenie-compensating dimwits from Minnesota with poor judgement and shitty bow-hunting skills.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Looking at the population of lions, it disappoints me that they are still hunted for 'sport'.

In 1980 there were 75 thousand of them. Today's estimate is between 20 and 32 thousand.

We are talking about a dwindling species not helped by the sport of being thrown into it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 11:42 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: You can keep saying "it's just a lion" all you want.  Apparently, poaching one of them is a pretty big deal in Zimbabwe, regardless of how you value them.  And, he knowlingly participated in a poaching in that country.  He knew his guides were poaching, and even though he may not have put the meat out himself, he knew it was being done on his behalf.  Therefore, he broke the law, plain and simple.  So, he should stand and answer for that.  Our government should allow his extradition to Zimbabwe and show the world that Americans play by the rules.   Even rich, small-weenie-compensating dimwits from Minnesota with poor judgement and shitty bow-hunting skills.

How do you know he knew he was poaching? If your hiring a guide your counting on them. Sending him to Zimbabwe would be a death sentence. Any jail time in their prisons is ridiculously hard.... Your acting like he slaughtered children and posted photos on Twitter. I know you value this lion but it's not worth this man's life.

It's bad enough there are people here actually going to his office and harassing him and his patients going in and out.

If he did this to a person or a child I would agree with you that he needs to go back... But no way on this
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 12:12 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Looking at the population of lions, it disappoints me that they are still hunted for 'sport'.

In 1980 there were 75 thousand of them.  Today's estimate is between 20 and 32 thousand.

We are talking about a dwindling species not helped by the sport of being thrown into it.

I don't disagree with you. It's a tough deal. But it's also how african countries make money.
Reply/Quote
When I charter a boat for a day fishing trip I count on my guide to make sure we are within the laws. I know the fish now, but I didn't when I started, so I counted on my guides.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 12:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When I charter a boat for a day fishing trip I count on my guide to make sure we are within the laws.   I know the fish now, but I didn't when I started, so I counted on my guides.

But even in the US, if you break the law you're still liable.  What would normally happen is a plea in exchange for your testimony to nail the tour operator.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 06:06 PM)Beaker Wrote: You can't blame it all on the guides. According to the story, they lured the lion out of the park boundaries with a carcass dragged behind a truck, then shot the lion when he was outside the protected area. The dentist cannot claim he did not know that was being done.

My understanding is that's a common hunting practice.  This probably wouldn't have registered with local authorities if the lion in question wasn't a "celebrity"
Reply/Quote