Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell vs Chase Civil War
So Ace and Zim from New Stripe City did a video last night with a bunch of other people (Willie Anderson, James Rapien, Tony Pike, John Sheeran, etc) debating which player we should take. Convincing points were made for both sides, but I think the guys arguing for Chase made the stronger case tbh. It’s a good watch so I figured I’d share it here since this is pretty much all anyone is talking about right now anyway.

https://youtu.be/rFn7kE_aBxU
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I was watching that last night and all of a sudden
This portly kid named Steven shows up and thinks
He is Todd Kiper Jr.
Goodberry and Rapien had the strongest arguments
Last night
Reply/Quote
Curious what was Willie's opinion?

Since, he is the only NFL player on the list, I'd value his opinion over anyone else on the list.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was watching that last night and all of a sudden
This portly kid named Steven shows up and thinks
He is Todd Kiper Jr.
Goodberry and Rapien had the strongest arguments
Last night

That kid was indeed weirdly out of place lol. He didn’t really belong on a panel with Willie, Tony Pike, etc. Still a good video though.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Curious what was Willie's opinion?

Since, he is the only NFL player on the list, I'd value his opinion over anyone else on the list.

I’m sure you can guess lol.

His opinion certainly carries the most weight, but he also didn’t really make much of a case either (imo).

But no offense Murdock, this is probably more for people that are on the fence, and are open to either player. You’re pretty dug in on your stance, so I doubt anything said in it will sway you.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m sure you can guess lol.

His opinion certainly carries the most weight, but he also didn’t really make much of a case either (imo).

But no offense Murdock, this is probably more for people that are on the fence, and are open to either player. You’re pretty dug in on your stance, so I doubt anything said in it will sway you.

Eh, just like when I messaged you. If I got an opinion from someone that was an NFL player that was like "Hey, Chase is good and this guy will be good and... " It certainly would be something I'd listen too.

Podcast guy, and message board guy (myself included in that) have no more inside knowledge then the next poster. Hence, if Willie came out and said... you have to take Chase, and take Carman in round 2 I'd value that opinion greatly. Just, I don't see many NFL people saying take Chase over Sewell. I see draft guys, and beat reporters and fans, but like if Lapham comes out and says, "Take Chase" that holds weight.

Reply/Quote

Willie said its the AFC North you have build up the trenches blah blah blah to compete.  But we already know such.
Of course he would say draft Sewell. 
But if Chad Johnson or Eddie Brown was on the panel they would say draft Chase.....it's all relative.
Intresting some said draft Sewell but they didnt break down 
Why him as oppoosed to Darrisaw or Radunz.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Eh, just like when I messaged you. If I got an opinion from someone that was an NFL player that was like "Hey, Chase is good and this guy will be good and... " It certainly would be something I'd listen too.

Podcast guy, and message board guy (myself included in that) have no more inside knowledge then the next poster. Hence, if Willie came out and said... you have to take Chase, and take Carman in round 2 I'd value that opinion greatly. Just, I don't see many NFL people saying take Chase over Sewell. I see draft guys, and beat reporters and fans, but like if Lapham comes out and says, "Take Chase" that holds weight.

Tony Pike made a pretty good case for taking Chase. Obviously he’s known more for his college career than his cup of coffee in the NFL, but the guy knows his stuff.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Willie said its the AFC North you have build up the trenches blah blah blah to compete.  But we already know such.
Of course he would say draft Sewell. 
But if Chad Johnson or Eddie Brown was on the panel they would say draft Chase.....it's all relative.
Intresting some said draft Sewell but they didnt break down 
Why him as oppoosed to Darrisaw or Radunz.

Well... coming from a guy who played in this division and only this division for his entire career... I'd say it isn't "blah blah blah" but a truth.

As for Radunz, he is the great unknown of this draft. Coming from such a small school it will be interesting to see how he holds up against the huge step up in competition. 

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tony Pike made a pretty good case for taking Chase. Obviously he’s known more for his college career than his cup of coffee in the NFL, but the guy knows his stuff.

I'll have to listen to what he has to say. I do agree he knows what he is talking about, usually listen to him during the season when he does the thing with Mo on 1530.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Well... coming from a guy who played in this division and only this division for his entire career... I'd say it isn't "blah blah blah" but a truth.

As for Radunz, he is the great unknown of this draft. Coming from such a small school it will be interesting to see how he holds up against the huge step up in competition.

Same with Meinerz I’d say.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Same with Meinerz I’d say.

Absolutely!

I've never even heard of the school he played for, Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawks.

And his senior bowl picture... is... well it is a thing...

[Image: 601bea328092c.image.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Absolutely!

I've never even heard of the school he played for, Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawks.

And his senior bowl picture... is... well it is a thing...

[Image: 601bea328092c.image.jpg]

I think the word you’re looking for is glorious!

Reply/Quote

Tony Pike (briefly) played in the NFL.  6th round pick of the Panthers.  Also is an alum of the coolest college in America.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Tony Pike (briefly) played in the NFL.  6th round pick of the Panthers.  Also is an alum of the coolest college in America.  Smirk

It's a shame that his elbow basically fell apart. I don't know if I would go as far as saying he'd be a starter, but I could have envisioned him having a long Matt Moore/Chad Henne/Charlie Batch type backup career.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Good views shared. I get that the "only Sewell" group sits on build the line, but conversely the moderator's "they're going to try scare tactics" take is sad. The video of Burrow being rushed that spawned that comment isn't "being negative", that hits too close to home having fluff pieces to make us feel "negative" for not trusting the scouts with Fisher, Ced, MJ, Price, ect... We have to not get caught up in the past, but we do need to learn from it, so either side of trying to make the best pick shouldn't tune the other out with this kind of thinking.

There is a lot to consider. How much did Joe make Chase look better? If we value chemistry with Joe do we value Terrance Marshall high enough to deal up a few picks in the 2nd to secure him (if you take Sewell)? Typically you don't cater to a player, but Burrow may be the exception, if he's bent on Chase and both players are graded similar...it may be the right call to give him the say. Not just because of Rypien's point of OL depth later, but that's part of it. They threw a bunch of money at Golladay, would that have stopped you from taking Chase, especially if you're supposed to take BPA? If Chase is truly a better prospect than Sewell, the Bengals better be prepared for him to be gone if ATL trades down for defensive help.

If it were me, I'd do all that I could to rule Pitts out of the talk, and if not you have 3 very closely ranked players that could be there at 5. We're still in the year where Det or Car may move up, so tax them if they want the remaining QB and still land one of these 3 guys. If we truly believe that not taking Chase will cause friction with Burrow, I'd lean toward taking him. I just hate that the Bengals didn't do even more on the OL already. I get that there is depth, but not fixing it already means you have to pass on quality defenders that may be there as well. I also honestly don't have a good view of Sewell. I make him into more than he might be and find myself downplaying some of his negatives because of how bad the Bengals OL has been.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Tony Pike (briefly) played in the NFL.  6th round pick of the Panthers.  Also is an alum of the coolest college in America.  Smirk

Indeed, and I told Nico I'd listen to what Pike's take on things was and I do respect Pike's opinion.

The real concern for me Wes, and Nico and everyone else on team Chase or Pitts that says I'm being bullish in my stance on Sewell is my fear of the Bengals doing the absolute wrong thing. Not saying Chase is wrong or Pitts... but taking either of them and still skipping O-line like last year...scares the hell out of me.

If you have to pick one of these two groups, which one scares you more to start the season with:

Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Mike Thomas, Stanley Morgan Jr, and then a 3rd or 4th round guy like (Tylan Wallace, Sage Surratt,  Amon-Ra St. Brown, Dazz Newsome)

or

Reiff, Williams, Spain, XSF, Hopkins/Price (If Hopkins recovers) backed up with Jordan, Price, Fred Johnson and then a 3rd or 4th rounder like (Maybe Trey Smith as he is hard to project, Josh Myers, Spencer Brown, James Hudson, Meinerz)

I really worry someone is going to fall, the coaches will fall in love with the prospect, and like Higgins last year (which as a Clemson guy I love him being here) we go for another spot that isn't OL. Everyone keeps saying, they'll be plenty of OL in round 2... great, can you predict Duke Tobin? Can you be certain that round 2 is Carman or Vera Tucker or Cosmi? 

I just feel like even if they pass on Chase, the group of WR's will be okay, and we might even find a Marvin Jones like guy in round 4 or 5 (I really think Josh Palmer from Tennessee is going to be big time.) I just will hit the panic button if they skip Sewell and then skip the line again in round 2 and that possibility is real.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Well... coming from a guy who played in this division and only this division for his entire career... I'd say it isn't "blah blah blah" but a truth.

Dillon Radunz showed he was very technically sound when he shut down everyone at the Senior Bowl. He's actually getting compared to Jonah Williams as a prospect because like Williams he isn't the high level athlete but does everything right.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Dillon Radunz showed he was very technically sound when he shut down everyone at the Senior Bowl. He's actually getting compared to Jonah Williams as a prospect because like Williams he isn't the high level athlete but does everything right.

I've seen and read good things about him, hence why I called him the great unknown. Just really don't know what he will be at all.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:01 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I really worry someone is going to fall, the coaches will fall in love with the prospect, and like Higgins last year (which as a Clemson guy I love him being here) we go for another spot that isn't OL. Everyone keeps saying, they'll be plenty of OL in round 2... great, can you predict Duke Tobin? Can you be certain that round 2 is Carman or Vera Tucker or Cosmi? 

I just feel like even if they pass on Chase, the group of WR's will be okay, and we might even find a Marvin Jones like guy in round 4 or 5 (I really think Josh Palmer from Tennessee is going to be big time.) I just will hit the panic button if they skip Sewell and then skip the line again in round 2 and that possibility is real.

Yeah this is a really good point and I actually even am leaning the Rd1/Rd2 Chase and Best OL gambit. 

If they do take Chase (or Pitts) in Rd. 1, the next 24 hours are going to be stressssful, particularly if there is a bit of a run on OL in the lower 1st.  Whereas if they go Sewell then I am cool with nearly whatever in the 2nd.  If they go Chase/Pitts there is almost a selfish part of me that wants them to trade back into the first even at the cost of some of next year's early picks just to avoid that heartburn.  Bengals go Chase and then DL/CB/LB in the 2nd there will be much teeth gnashing in Bengaldom.  Great point.
Reply/Quote