Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn, be quiet
kicked out. HE SCREWED UP. Dumb play. Period.
The man was going down on the ground. Hitting him was a stupid waste of energy if nothing else.

“I levelled my shoulder. The contact with his head was incidental,” said Williams, who twisted his body to hit Luck with his shoulder as he converged on a tackle being made by lineman Michael Johnson. “There’s nothing I can do about that. I don’t know what he’s going to do as a runner. I know he’s going to try and get the first down and my job is to stop him. If you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to not get a flag and still do my job, then let me know.”

I am pretty sure that Michael Johnson didn't need you piling onto Luck.
A REAL opportunity to hurt our own players too.

This is a, "COME ON MAN!", moment.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
The refs will be looking to throw them flags all year it appears.

He has got to play smarter than that to stay on field.

Especially when a QB is involved.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
That same play was standard tackling for many years and in Pittsburgh it's the gold standard of hard nosed play to kill the opposing QB  but when it's us it's the epitome of thuggery.. go figure. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I agree that it was a bad play. He made a mistake, he should learn his lesson and move on. I'd have been yelling for a flag if somebody did that to Andy. Nobody's calling him a thug. He just needs to get it behind him and play.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:13 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The refs will be looking to throw them flags all year it appears.

He has got to play smarter than that to stay on field.

Especially when a QB is involved.

Unless he is a red head....not named Wentz
Reply/Quote
If you're a defender mid-air trying to stop a runner....I don't understand the concept that the defender can just put on air brakes and stop. That's not how it works. It clearly wasn't helmet to helmet, and it clearly wasn't intentional. The refs were told to throw a flag if anyone even gets close to golden boy Luck, because he is $$$ for the league. That's why the DL wasn't effective in the first half, they knew they couldn't touch him.
[Image: sig2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Three Points:

1. Intentional or not, that crap will draw a flag and an ejection.

2. Shawn Williams probably did try to miss Andrew Luck’s helmet with his own but momentum sometimes can’t be stopped. Poop happens and when it does, good on Clayton Fejedelem for being the next man up.

3. That penalty and ejection wasn’t just aimed at #36. It was also aimed at #55 as a future warning.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 09:43 AM)WhoDeyLeisure Wrote: If you're a defender mid-air trying to stop a runner....I don't understand the concept that the defender can just put on air brakes and stop.  That's not how it works.  It clearly wasn't helmet to helmet, and it clearly wasn't intentional.  The refs were told to throw a flag if anyone even gets close to golden boy Luck, because he is $$$ for the league.  That's why the DL wasn't effective in the first half, they knew they couldn't touch him.

He got the flag because the QB was already down. Simple as that.
Reply/Quote
When I look at these situations I always reverse it - what if the exact same play happened to Dalton? We would all be screaming for an ejection.

He should know better, it was poor discipline to make that type of play knowing the refs would call it and it is even dumber to now come out and say there is nothing different he could have done. I question his intelligence.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I would say after that game, everyone is frustrated about the league's stance on quarterbacks: stop them, sure, but don't touch them.

We're about two rules away from not being able to touch a quarterback. Which would be fine if there was no OL. Just get rid of those guys, go to 10 wideouts and let the opposing defense just cover the field. It'll be like a rec soccer game but you don't know where the ball is going until it's airborne.
Reply/Quote
Williams had time to pull up and there was no need to hit Luck the way he did.

I hate the NFL refs- there were several hits on Dalton that could have drawn flags- but I have no problem with Williams being ejected.

Stupid play.
Reply/Quote
I can't stand having this guy on our team. The only things I remember him ever doing are head hunting or trying to pop somebody, only to end up smoking our own players. I remember Pacman laying on the ground yelling at him because he had smoked him in the back.

He's a ridiculous player to me, I just don't get him. I could be wrong, but that's all I ever see from him.
Reply/Quote
I watched this a few times now, and I don't see how it was just incidental. He even stuttered step right before he lunged shoulder first into Luck who was going down.

“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:08 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: He got the flag because the QB was already down. Simple as that.

That's kind of how I remember the play also. It was totally stupid and could have really injured Luck. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:59 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I watched this a few times now, and I don't see how it was just incidental. He even stuttered step right before he lunged shoulder first into Luck who was going down.

It was intentional. He lead with his head the whole way. He didn't even lift his arms to tackle, just speared him.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:59 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I watched this a few times now, and I don't see how it was just incidental. He even stuttered step right before he lunged shoulder first into Luck who was going down.

This alonalong with what the last few posters said. As much crap as Burfict gets, William's is much worse and adds into why people say we're a dirty team. Theres a reason no one else on the team acted surprised when the flags came out or said after the game it was a crap call. 
Those quotes just go to show he absolutely doesnt get it and should no longer be starting for this team. This problem of leading the league in Unnecessary Roughness for him is not going to go away because he still doesnt get what he's doing wrong. 
Reply/Quote
This weird Shawn Williams which hunt thing is interesting. He has had 5 unnecessary roughness penalties in his career before the ejection. That doesn't even get into what specifically they were. He isn't this monster all the sudden people have decided to make him out to be, almost to validate Fej is good. To put it in perspective that is no more unnecessary roughness penalties than Earl Thomas the last five seasons.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:23 AM)Benton Wrote: I would say after that game, everyone is frustrated about the league's stance on quarterbacks: stop them, sure, but don't touch them.

Agreed, if they're going to be this crazy with the rules concerning QB, then they damn well better call them "in the grasp" every time a defender gets his arms around a QB.  No more of this extending plays nonsense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It was a penalty, although I'm not sure it warranted an ejection.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 07:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Unless he is a red head....not named Wentz

Yup !

The facemask on Andy in 1st qtr. It wasn't horrible but if the refs are honed in on that how did they miss it ? The dude diving onto Dalton head first after he went down and ball was gone ? I mean WTF ? If that was Luck 5 flags would of flown !

I don't like where the new NFL rules are going. Tackle the QB without landing on him = fly to the moon on a skateboard. But it's where the game is going. But by gawd call it fair and it's blatantly obvious it ain't fair.

The Willims hit would have been bad even 10 years ago. He was down and there was time to let up. 25 years ago it would have been cool
Reply/Quote