Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Shayne Graham signs 1-day contract to retire a Bengal
(02-22-2017, 05:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ok ok...he was a good kicker. Ill give you that. 

That's better.  Smirk
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: not sure why its funny..  Its nice to see players wanting to retire as a Bengal.

I'm trying to remember the last one ive seen that happen with.

The only one you can remember is a kicker....thats why its funny. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 06:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The only one you can remember is a kicker....thats why its funny. 

Unfortunately, I'm guessing Shayne is probably the one that reached out.

I can't picture the Brown family calling any former players. Mike Brown probably can't remember who they are.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 06:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Unfortunately, I'm guessing Shayne is probably the one that reached out.

I can't picture the Brown family calling any former players. Mike Brown probably can't remember who they are.

Eh, I have actually heard quite the contrary.  The father of one of my buddies in high school played for the Bengals in the 80's and he said Mike Brown kept in contact with both him and a good number of his teammates on a fairly regular basis.  Asked how their families were doing, how their career was going etc.

Man he had some good stories about Paul Brown though.  Especially centering around his distaste for corporate entities commercializing the game too much and excessive logos and merchandise.  It was the main reason why Riverfront didn't have Bengals logos anywhere on the field (mid-field, end-zone) until after he had passed.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 11:20 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Eh, I have actually heard quite the contrary.  The father of one of my buddies in high school played for the Bengals in the 80's and he said Mike Brown kept in contact with both him and a good number of his teammates on a fairly regular basis.  Asked how their families were doing, how their career was going etc.

Man he had some good stories about Paul Brown though.  Especially centering around his distaste for corporate entities commercializing the game too much and excessive logos and merchandise.  It was the main reason why Riverfront didn't have Bengals logos anywhere on the field (mid-field, end-zone) until after he had passed.

I was referring specifically to honoring former players publicly. It's just not something Mikey is "keen" on.

The line about Mike "forgetting" was a shot at what Mike said recently about ring of honors being "pointless because fans can't remember the players". 
Reply/Quote
A step in the right direction, perhaps grooming an atmosphere of " Bengal pride " will lead to on field accomplishments.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good stuff.

I really wish he made that kick against the Steelers though that would have won the game back in 2006. He makes that kick, the Bengals were in the playoffs. It's not the reason why they weren't in the playoffs, but man, it would have been nice.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:49 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Good stuff.

I really wish he made that kick against the Steelers though that would have won the game back in 2006. He makes that kick, the Bengals were in the playoffs. It's not the reason why they weren't in the playoffs, but man, it would have been nice.

[Image: stlouis_brad.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 06:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Unfortunately, I'm guessing Shayne is probably the one that reached out.

I'd agree that Shayne is probably the initiator in this case. All these articles that have been coming out have emphasized how much he regretted leaving the Bengals. He played 18 games with the Saints between 2013-2014 and that was his longest tenure with any team during his post-Bengals career.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2017, 02:56 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: He was a really good kicker for us at one point. He wanted to retire a Bengal, I'm glad he cared enough to make sure he retired with us. Glad he was able to. 

Same here man. Golden Graham was our most accurate Kicker. Have to give him credit.
Reply/Quote
I'm okay with giving Shayne some credit.

It's the bozos who claim "good riddance" to players like Chad and Dillon that piss me off.

I don't care about the shenanigans and throwing your equipment into the stands.

Those two were great. Period. Bengal or not.

As for this Sis thing. She did get pissy. If you didn't catch that you were thinking solely with your wang.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:49 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Good stuff.

(02-23-2017, 12:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: stlouis_brad.jpg]

The Denver kick is on St. Louis, but I thought the Pitt kick was just a plain old miss.  Could be wrong, it's been a decade ago.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 01:17 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I remember one time she got pissy because people called him Shank (It was like she poofed up out of nowhere if you said Shank.) and then a month later after he kicked a game winning field goal for the Saints she had to revive an old thread just to tell everyone they were wrong. LOL

She couldn't handle any criticism and acted like everyone was attacking Shayne personally.

(02-22-2017, 01:19 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: He rightfully earned the nickname Shank, but I cant fault her for sticking up for her brother. Her first mistake was signing up for the message board in the first place.

How can everyone be so sure that BengalSis wasn't Shayne himself?  Ninja

Remember Odell Thurman's "cousin" Cornell? A lot of us were fairly certain that was Odell in disguise. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:00 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The Denver kick is on St. Louis, but I thought the Pitt kick was just a plain old miss.  Could be wrong, it's been a decade ago.

It was a shank. Clear as day. I'll never forget it. Shayne clapped his hands and laughed in an "aw shucks" kinda reaction. I was livid and had a disgusting feeling we would lose in overtime... And well, y'know  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: How can everyone be so sure that BengalSis wasn't Shayne himself?  Ninja

Remember Odell Thurman's "cousin" Cornell? A lot of us were fairly certain that was Odell in disguise. 

Whomever it was, he or she was a shrill, braying twit.  Good riddance to her.  Congrats to Shayne nonetheless.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:00 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The Denver kick is on St. Louis, but I thought the Pitt kick was just a plain old miss.  Could be wrong, it's been a decade ago.

I can't say for sure, but some were directly on St Louis and it seemed Graham's confidence was shot the rest of the year.

Kickers are fragile and a bad long snapper can doom a kicker.
Reply/Quote

I wonder if Shayne had to convince him that he wasn't one of the multitude of players that ran away from this franchise screaming.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 09:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: How can everyone be so sure that BengalSis wasn't Shayne himself?  Ninja

I think it was his sister, she probably told him what the fans thought, but he probably didn't care.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Shayne always seemed like a good guy who actually wanted to be here when that wasn't the cool thing to do. I was as mad as anyone after that Jets game, I won't pretend I wasn't. I still remember when asked after the game by a Pro Shop employee if there was anything they could help me find my instant response: "Do you have any kickers in stock that can make a 40 yd FG?!"

But that being said. I'm glad the team let him retire with them since it clearly meant something to him.

Furthermore, as others have pointed out, I'm absolutely flabbergasted that anyone 1) Wanted to retire a Bengal and 2) that the team let them.

Good Job Bengals! Good on ya Shane! Good luck in retirement, and thank you most of all for NOT being Neil Rackers!
Reply/Quote