Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocker: Bengals defense on record setting pace - Marvin not backing Austin
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/11/bengals-defense-is-on-record-setting-pace/

Quote:It’s hard to describe how poorly the Bengals are playing on defense right now.

So head coach Marvin Lewis is choosing to not explain it.

The Bengals were strafed by the Saints Sunday, losing 51-14 and allowing 509 yards of total offense. That’s the third straight week they’ve allowed over 500 yards — 576 in beating the Buccaneers last week, and 551 in a Week Seven loss to the Chiefs. That’s the first time in league history a team has allowed 500 in three straight games.

The 481 they allowed the Steelers the week before looks practically stingy by comparison, so it goes without saying they remain last in the league in total defense, and on pace to break the all-time record.

The 2012 Saints allowed 7,042 yards (440.1 per game), while the Bengals have allowed 4,091 so far (454.6)

According to Katherine Terrell of ESPN.com, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis chose his words carefully when asked about any potential scheme or personnel changes (with defensive coordinator Teryl Austin in particular the topic of conversations.

“Again, it’s hard to speak for today, we talked about the other things,” Lewis said when asked what’s wrong with their defense. “We need to play better. We need to get off the field on 3rd down. I looked up there at halftime and they were 6-for-6.”

Asked if there was a problem with the scheme, he paused a few secords before saying: “It’s, . . . again, I’m not gonna get into any observations right now.”

The numbers speak for themselves.

Aside from the record-setting yardage, the Bengals are allowing a league worst 32.0 points/game. 3rd down % and many other categories are also at - or near - bottom.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/11/bengals-defense-is-on-record-setting-pace/

Aside from the record-setting yardage, the Bengals are allowing a league worst 32.0 points/game. 3rd down % and many other categories are also at - or near - bottom.

Saw a post on Cincy Jungle that said Hasslet will fill D coordinator role while Marvin calls plays. It's being reported in Columbus appearently.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Saw a post on Cincy Jungle that said Hasslet will fill D coordinator role while Marvin calls plays. It's being reported in Columbus appearently.

Link ?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:42 PM)Trademark Wrote: Link ?

No link saw it in comment section.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/11/11/18085590/bengals-defense-saints-marvin-lewis-teryl-austin-jim-haslett-nfl-history
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Man alive. "We need to get off the field on 3rd downs. We need to play better". This guy is more of a robot than Kawhi Leonard. Worst motivator in sports history. We need to play better! Let's go. I'll give you an apple if you do!!
Reply/Quote
We need more balls to magically bounce to our d line like in the Dolphins game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll believe Austin is unemployed when it happens. We all know it has to happen, but I'm still not sure it will.

What's even worse is fans wanting Driskel to be the starting QB. Completely ignoring our defense that forces us to be one dimensional and our lackluster offensive line. Yes, the OLine is improved over last year, but it's far from playing at an average NFL level. Even with our defensive stars failing at their jobs, our joke of a linebacker unit (even when Mr. Untouchable is on the field), and possibly the worst defensive scheme I've ever seen, replacing Dalton would fix it all. Only in Cincinnati. You can't make this shit up.
Reply/Quote
A whooping 1.2 miles.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
There's not words to describe how awful this defense is Sick and Austin has to go.

Having said that you can fire the DC, OC, all the position coaches, the training staff, the doctors, Duke Tobin, and the water boy. But unless Marvin goes as well nothing is truly going to change.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's not words to describe how awful this defense is  Sick and Austin has to go.

Having said that you can fire the DC, OC, all the position coaches, the training staff, the doctors, Duke Tobin, and the water boy. But unless Marvin goes as well nothing is truly going to change.

You have to add Mike Brown to that as well. While I agree that Lewis needs to hit the unemployment line, as long as Mike Brown and his family own this team we're ******.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:58 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I'll believe Austin is unemployed when it happens. We all know it has to happen, but I'm still not sure it will.

What's even worse is fans wanting Driskel to be the starting QB. Completely ignoring our defense that forces us to be one dimensional and our lackluster offensive line. Yes, the OLine is improved over last year, but it's far from playing at an average NFL level. Even with our defensive stars failing at their jobs, our joke of a linebacker unit (even when Mr. Untouchable is on the field), and possibly the worst defensive scheme I've ever seen, replacing Dalton would fix it all. Only in Cincinnati. You can't make this shit up.

Fans defending Dalton after throwing for 153 yards and once again proving he has AJ green to thank for his NFL success is the worse part about it. 

The D sucks... They didnt make Dalton play like it was primetime game. Matt Barkley had a better game and has been on the bills for like a week
Reply/Quote
Promoting Jim Haslett to defensive coordinator would be a nightmare. He’s the Cincinnati linebackers coach and the linebackers are absolutely atrocious. He could make the Bengals’ defense even worse.

Hire from the outside. I’m sorry but promoting a current Bengal coach would assure the same old stank remains.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:44 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: No link saw it in comment section.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/11/11/18085590/bengals-defense-saints-marvin-lewis-teryl-austin-jim-haslett-nfl-history

Whatever comment you were referring to must have been taken down, as I couldn't find it.  A quick search for articles related to Austin being fired only yielded this from Cincy Enquirer.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/11/11/cincinnati-bengals-2018-teryl-austin-defensive-coordinator/1970706002/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Saw a post on Cincy Jungle that said Hasslet will fill D coordinator role while Marvin calls plays. It's being reported in Columbus appearently.

The Bengals just made a public announcement about this rumor going around

Bengals Response To DC Change
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Bengals just made a public announcement about this rumor going around

Bengals Response To DC Change

That’s not funny but I am laughing anyway. Rep to you!

Your avatar is awesome by the way. The cream of wheat man is totally iconic. When I was little and my mom made cream of wheat for breakfast I always pretended Frank — that’s the cream of wheat man’s name — actually made it. Even as a kid I figured he was the best because his face was on the box.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Fans defending Dalton after throwing for 153 yards and once again proving he has AJ green to thank for his NFL success is the worse part about it. 

The D sucks... They didnt make Dalton play like it was primetime game. Matt Barkley had a better game and has been on the bills for like a week

So good games that Dalton had in 2014 and 2016 when Green missed games don't count? I understand everyone has a very short memory but it's not like Dalton has fallen on his face when Green isn't on the field. Much like the rest of his career, he's had good and bad games with Green out. Today just happened to be a bad one.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:02 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: You have to add Mike Brown to that as well. While I agree that Lewis needs to hit the unemployment line, as long as Mike Brown and his family own this team we're ******.

Oh I know and that's whats so sad ! As long as MB is still running the show ML will be HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whatever comment you were referring to must have been taken down, as I couldn't find it.  A quick search for articles related to Austin being fired only yielded this from Cincy Enquirer.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/11/11/cincinnati-bengals-2018-teryl-austin-defensive-coordinator/1970706002/

Austin is out

Insider report was just on the radio here in Columbus. Jim Haslett will assume role of DC, it was also mentioned that Marvin might take on in game play calling for the defense.
I should note I couldn’t find this on the Bengals website, it was just reported on local sports channel.
Posted  by Zach2305  on Nov 11, 2018 | 5:38 PM

That's the post he's referring to.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:18 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Austin is out

Insider report was just on the radio here in Columbus. Jim Haslett will assume role of DC, it was also mentioned that Marvin might take on in game play calling for the defense.
I should note I couldn’t find this on the Bengals website, it was just reported on local sports channel.
Posted  by Zach2305  on Nov 11, 2018 | 5:38 PM

That's the post he's referring to.

That was fast. Usually the Bengals get outrun by a glacier.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:17 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: So good games that Dalton had in 2014 and 2016 when Green missed games don't count? I understand everyone has a very short memory but it's not like Dalton has fallen on his face when Green isn't on the field. Much like the rest of his career, he's had good and bad games with Green out. Today just happened to be a bad one.

The Cincinnati Bengals have a lot of problems but Andy Dalton isn’t even in the top thirty.
Reply/Quote