Poll: Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
Yes

No
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Definitely.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
No. He has plenty to be proud of for his tenure, but no. There has to be a standard higher than that or else what’s the point of the ring in the first place? Are we honoring Bengals greats for exceptional achievement? Or are we commending long-timers for their service?
Reply/Quote
He compiled a 131-122-3 record and brought the team out of the depths of the bottom of the league. He took the team to 7 playoff appearances (without a win). He managed the team through rough times when it seemed like a Bengal was getting arrested every week. He was loyal to the team and to the city.
Reply/Quote
I say yes.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Nope.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
No, he had a good record but not amazing. He had longevity but not playoff success. He changed the organization for the better but then it stagnated.

He deserves respect and to be appreciated for what he did for our franchise but not at a ring of honor level. Any coach who is around for 16 years is going to have a big impact on the franchise. His was no greater than any other teams coach with similar tenure. In fact his winning % was barely over .500 while other current coaches with 14+ years all have winning percentages of over .600.

He “did some good things”, but he’s not a ring of honor caliber coach. I hope to see him back from time to time for events or games but that is the type of recognition he deserves.
Reply/Quote
Yes.
Reply/Quote
I think so.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I like Marvin, but no. It's a Ring of Honor, not a Ring of Mediocrity
Reply/Quote
No.

What honor did ML bring? Maybe finishing statistically at the top of the afcn? He did it (I think) four times out of his time here. That's not super, that's like a 25 percent average.

Playoff wins? None.

Winning culture? Eh, not really. He finished just ahead of .500 and the team had gotten better with shedding Marvin's guys

I'm glad we had Marvin for several of the years. He wasn't a bad guy and I think he helped MB improve he as an owner. But if we're going to have a ring of honor, save it for guys who at least get the team close to accolades and accomplishments. Not just 'he made it less sucky.'
Reply/Quote
Another way I'd frame this question:

Should Marvin Lewis be on the Ring of Honor before Forrest Gregg or Sam Wyche?

If your answer is "yes", then okay. That universe might make sense when it comes to getting Marvin on the ring at all, though I do think it'd need justified. I wouldn't say yes.

If your answer is "no", then that means you're putting Marvin at best in 3rd place among Bengals head coaches. When you also consider the players that will eventually deserve ROH recognition, how many years would have to pass before the 3rd place coach (4th if you count Paul Brown, already inducted) can be added at two names per year? 30+ years?

I just don't think it makes sense when considering how many names are likely to ever be on the ROH. I mean no disrespect to Marvin or to those who've voted yes.
Reply/Quote
I say yes, surprised so many no's but good points provided as to why.

Maybe it's too soon for him and we'll look back more fondly of him in a decade or so.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:22 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Another way I'd frame this question:

Should Marvin Lewis be on the Ring of Honor before Forrest Gregg or Sam Wyche?

If your answer is "yes", then okay. That universe might make sense when it comes to getting Marvin on the ring at all, though I do think it'd need justified. I wouldn't say yes.

If your answer is "no", then that means you're putting Marvin at best in 3rd place among Bengals head coaches. When you also consider the players that will eventually deserve ROH recognition, how many years would have to pass before the 3rd place coach (4th if you count Paul Brown, already inducted) can be added at two names per year? 30+ years?

I just don't think it makes sense when considering how many names are likely to ever be on the ROH. I mean no disrespect to Marvin or to those who've voted yes.
I am honestly not sure how to answer. I agree that the ROH should go to someone that accomplished something. Gregg and Wyche were SB coaches. 10 years from now, Merv is only going to be an answer to a trivia question.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Not even a question for me.
Reply/Quote
Hell yes.
Reply/Quote
I am a hard no and I like Marvin Lewis.

What type of Ring of Honor is it if you get in for being Average or slightly above average.

I want the ring of honor reserved for Greatness. Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson & Ken Riley and a few others.

What achievement did Marvin have. He made the playoffs. Really? That is a pretty low bar.
Reply/Quote
These were the names on the original ROH ballot not already inducted (and I removed Breech, because... kicker):

Willie Anderson
James Brooks
Cris Collinsworth
Isaac Curtis
Corey Dillon
Boomer Esiason
David Fulcher
Chad Johnson
Tim Krumrie
Dave Lapham
Max Montoya
Lemar Parrish
Bob Trumpy
Reggie Williams

Do all of these names deserve the recognition before Marvin Lewis? I certainly believe so. I don't think that's even close. So at two names per year, this list already covers seven years. Then let's consider more names that might be on future ballots:

Geno Atkins
Carlos Dunlap
Eddie Edwards
AJ Green
Forrest Gregg
Leon Hall
Rodney Holman
TJ Houshmandzadeh
Bob Johnson
Pete Johnson
Rudi Johnson
Bruce Kozerski
Reggie Nelson
Carl Pickens
Dan Ross
Brian Simmons
Justin Smith
Duke Tobin
Andrew Whitworth
Sam Wyche

I am sure other names could be included, those are just rapid fire. Then consider current players who are on a clear trajectory:

Tyler Boyd
Joe Burrow
Ja'Marr Chase
Tee Higgins
Sam Hubbard
Joe Mixon

I don't know where Marvin finds a spot. It might happen eventually when there's no better name on the ballot, but are we sure the NFL will still exist at that time?
Reply/Quote
My initial gut reaction was "of course", but people on here are raising good valid points.

He was a .500 coach with 0 playoff wins in 16 seasons. So what are we honoring? His ability to "rise above" ownership? Well (a) I don't see ownership agreeing with that reason and (b) Zac did in year 3 what Marv couldn't in 16.

If he gets in, it's only for longevity. Nothing else about his resume really stands out. He's our winningest coach (and losingest) because he stuck around at least 8 years longer than he should've.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote