Poll: Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PB4Nby2Ai-g
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 07:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm shocked it's so close as well.

That said, you usually need an overwhelming majority to make the HOF or things of that nature.

So if our vote was needed, Marv wouldn't make it. I guess 50/50 is fitting, because that's the type of career he had.

IMO, if we're going to throw Marv in, we may as well throw Dalton in there as well.

I almost posed the Marvin=Dalton thought yesterday in this thread to try to make my point….just saw a whole new argument coming if I did that and decided i didn’t want to go there lol
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 08:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I almost posed the Marvin=Dalton thought yesterday in this thread to try to make my point….just saw a whole new argument coming if I did that and decided i didn’t want to go there lol

Yeah the mere mention of his name has potential to derail any thread. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Zero playoff wins , eo what exactly are we rewarrding him for ?
Reply/Quote
No.... the goal is to win a Superbowl to win playoff games. 16 years and you got zilch. Any other franchise the guy would of been canned in half that time if not sooner.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
No.

At some point we have to award success and not live in emotions. He was mediocre as a coach and had mediocre results his whole career. Being 0-7 in the playoffs while only being the clear underdog MAYBE twice is BAD.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 10:52 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Zero playoff wins , eo what exactly are we rewarrding him for ?

At that point it would be an award for just Existing
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 11:20 PM)Housh Wrote: At that point it would be an award for just Existing

Participation awards! No longer just for 1st graders!
Reply/Quote
Yes

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
His playoff record really stains his resume for me. I loved some of the teams he built, but they always ’d the bed when primetime and playoff games were played. I appreciate all he and his staffs did to bring us out of the Dark Ages, and I would probably feel differently had he won at least a couple of those playoff games (Jets, Pitt 2015, the Texans game vs a third string QB), but it would be a hard pass for me.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown should be, and is, in the RoH. He founded the Bengals and brought them to Cincy. And we love him for it. But check out his record as a head coach here.

In 8 years he complied a 55-56-1 record.

He took the Bengals to the playoffs three times and lost all three games.

I appreciate PB as much as anyone for bringing the Bengals to our city, but if we are going to bring up Marvin's playoff record then just compare it to Paul's.
Reply/Quote
Marvin didn't found the team. I don't think the comparison is valid.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:39 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Marvin didn't found the team. I don't think the comparison is valid.

I never said he did. But Marvin has a comparable record. Except that ML has a winning overall record.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:36 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Paul Brown should be, and is, in the RoH. He founded the Bengals and brought them to Cincy. And we love him for it. But check out his record as a head coach here.

In 8 years he complied a 55-56-1 record.

He took the Bengals to the playoffs three times and lost all three games.

I appreciate PB as much as anyone for bringing the Bengals to our city, but if we are going to bring up Marvin's playoff record then just compare it to Paul's.

But Paul Brown is not up there as just a coach. He was founder, coach, GM, etc. He also literally changed the game of football with some of his innovations.

Marvin was simply an average head coach. You can’t even begin to compare the two.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But Paul Brown is not up there as just a coach. He was founder, coach, GM, etc. He also literally changed the game of football with some of his innovations.

Marvin was simply an average head coach. You can’t even begin to compare the two.

And I think I made it clear that we all appreciate PB for bringing the Bengals to Cincy. I'm only pointing out that as a head coach ML has a better record than PB and should be considered for the RoH.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:48 PM)BengalRed Wrote: And I think I made it clear that we all appreciate PB for bringing the Bengals to Cincy. I'm only pointing out that as a head coach ML has a better record than PB and should be considered for the RoH.

And again, you’re ignoring everything else Paul Brown did besides starting the team, and being the first HC. He was the GM that put together 2 Super Bowl teams, and he drafted players like Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson, etc.

But you’ve obviously got your mind made up on Marvin belonging up there. I (and many others as evidenced by the poll) disagree. Personally I would find putting guys like Marvin or Andy in the RoH pretty embarrassing.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 11:13 PM)Housh Wrote: No.

At some point we have to award success and not live in emotions. He was mediocre as a coach and had mediocre results his whole career. Being 0-7 in the playoffs while only being the clear underdog MAYBE twice is BAD.

I think they were the underdog 4 if not 5 of those playoff games... 2005 they'd never been there, and had no defense other than forcing turnovers. In 2011; yeah TJ Yates and all, but we were a 9-7 team that all but backed into the playoffs. 2012 the Bengals had definitely improved, and won like 7 of their last 8 games, but Houston was probably the better team at that point. They played with a mash unit in 2014... Gio and Rex lining up at WR. We won the division in 2015, but were without our starting QB. Honestly I say they were the clear favorite only in 2013.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 10:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And again, you’re ignoring everything else Paul Brown did besides starting the team, and being the first HC. He was the GM that put together 2 Super Bowl teams, and he drafted players like Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson, etc.

But you’ve obviously got your mind made up on Marvin belonging up there. I (and many others as evidenced by the poll) disagree. Personally I would find putting guys like Marvin or Andy in the RoH pretty embarrassing.

I like both Marvin and Dalton, but your last sentence is pretty spot on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 10:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And again, you’re ignoring everything else Paul Brown did besides starting the team, and being the first HC. He was the GM that put together 2 Super Bowl teams, and he drafted players like Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson, etc.

I'm ignoring nothing that Paul Brown did for this organization. I made it clear that he deserves every accolade the the team shows him. This isn't a comparison between Paul Brown and Marvin Lewis organizationally. There is no comparison. I'm only pointing out that if you compare ML's record as a  head coach Marvin has a better record. Why is that so hard to understand? 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 10:38 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I'm ignoring nothing that Paul Brown did for this organization. I made it clear that he deserves every accolade the the team shows him. This isn't a comparison between Paul Brown and Marvin Lewis organizationally. There is no comparison. I'm only pointing out that if you compare ML's record as a  head coach Marvin has a better record. Why is that so hard to understand? 

Why is it so hard to understand that’s it’s silly to focus solely on coaching records when one guy did so much more than just coach?

Your argument that Marvin’s playoff (and primetime) failures shouldn’t be held against him because of Paul Brown’s coaching record is ridiculous. There is literally nothing else to judge Marvin off of except his record. Which is obviously not the case with Paul Brown.

Reply/Quote