Poll: Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
(01-20-2022, 10:01 PM)jason Wrote: I think they were the underdog 4 if not 5 of those playoff games... 2005 they'd never been there, and had no defense other than forcing turnovers. In 2011; yeah TJ Yates and all, but we were a 9-7 team that all but backed into the playoffs. 2012 the Bengals had definitely improved, and won like 7 of their last 8 games, but Houston was probably the better team at that point. They played with a mash unit in 2014... Gio and Rex lining up at WR. We won the division in 2015, but were without our starting QB. Honestly I say they were the clear favorite only in 2013.

Eh, you can make excuses for a few. But 0-7? That's complete failure. 

It's like zt. His first season or two you can make excuses (bad roster, new staff, etc). But after a few, there has to be some accountability. And, in his case, he hasn't been a complete failure. He won his division, he won at least a playoff game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hell no.... The dude was notorious for choking and not having the team ready. Why would you want to honor that? I want to forget those days of failure...
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is it so hard to understand that’s it’s silly to focus solely on coaching records when one guy did so much more than just coach?

Your argument that Marvin’s playoff (and primetime) failures shouldn’t be held against him because of Paul Brown’s coaching record is ridiculous. There is literally nothing else to judge Marvin off of except his record. Which is obviously not the case with Paul Brown.

Dude. You don't even know what your are saying. All I'm saying is that if you look at records of head coaches ML has the most impressive (if you can call it that) of any Bengal coach. 

All the other stuff doesn't matter in this instance. I know ML can't compare to PB organizationally. But as a head coach he has the best record and deserves to be in the RoH.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:48 PM)BengalRed Wrote: And I think I made it clear that we all appreciate PB for bringing the Bengals to Cincy. I'm only pointing out that as a head coach ML has a better record than PB and should be considered for the RoH.

Nope.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:22 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Dude. You don't even know what your are saying. All I'm saying is that if you look at records of head coaches ML has the most impressive (if you can call it that) of any Bengal coach. 

All the other stuff doesn't matter in this instance. I know ML can't compare to PB organizationally. But as a head coach he has the best record and deserves to be in the RoH.

That’s an extremely low bar, and not something that should be automatically honored.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 10:52 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, you can make excuses for a few. But 0-7? That's complete failure. 

It's like zt. His first season or two you can make excuses (bad roster, new staff, etc). But after a few, there has to be some accountability. And, in his case, he hasn't been a complete failure. He won his division, he won at least a playoff game.

Definitely not makin' excuses. There were zero excuses for one of them (San Diego)... The 2015 game, there were zero excuses to lose after that interception. I was just disputing that we were the favorite in all "but maybe 2" of them. I don't think Vegas had them that way.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s an extremely low bar, and not something that should be automatically honored.

Fine. You win. I'm out.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:22 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Dude. You don't even know what your are saying. All I'm saying is that if you look at records of head coaches ML has the most impressive (if you can call it that) of any Bengal coach. 

Impressive?

In W/L, ok. In terms of accomplishments, he's one of the worst. When the guy in the nosebleeds has as many championship coaching accolades as the head coach, it's not a good thing.

ML doesn't compare to pb or anyone else because nobody squandered as many opportunities ML. At best, he's Mr. Average.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:41 PM)jason Wrote: Definitely not makin' excuses. There were zero excuses for one of them (San Diego)... The 2015 game, there were zero excuses to lose after that interception. I was just disputing that we were the favorite in all "but maybe 2" of them. I don't think Vegas had them that way.

That's fair.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s an extremely low bar, and not something that should be automatically honored.

To put it concisely... No worthy coaches, and the one who is up there's kids run the team. Coaches aside; I don't wanna overdo it with the ring of honor. To me we have around or less than 10 guys (not counting those who should go in as time goes by) who should be inducted in such a thing. People will get salty about it, but it's a ring of honor, not a ring of pretty good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
So let me get this correct, a coach that took over the worse franchise in the 90s in the NFL, ends up becoming ranked right now as the 29th winnest coach in NFL history and takes the team to 7 playoffs ( so roughly 44% of the time he coached) and because he was not able to finish the deal in the playoffs he should not be on in the ring of honor.. yea that makes sense.. sorry to AJ Green, Atkins since they went zero in playoffs, guess we will have to leave them out.. poor Chad, hell he only helped get us to 2 playoffs in his career so he has no chance....
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 10:01 PM)jason Wrote: I think they were the underdog 4 if not 5 of those playoff games... 2005 they'd never been there, and had no defense other than forcing turnovers. In 2011; yeah TJ Yates and all, but we were a 9-7 team that all but backed into the playoffs. 2012 the Bengals had definitely improved, and won like 7 of their last 8 games, but Houston was probably the better team at that point. They played with a mash unit in 2014... Gio and Rex lining up at WR. We won the division in 2015, but were without our starting QB. Honestly I say they were the clear favorite only in 2013.

This would be a decent thread topic but i refuse to create this type of thread while we are still active in the playoffs
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So let me get this correct, a coach that took over the worse franchise in the 90s in the NFL, ends up becoming ranked right now as the 29th winnest coach in NFL history and  takes the team to 7 playoffs ( so roughly 44% of the time he coached) and because he was not able to finish the deal in the playoffs he should not be on in the ring of honor..  yea that makes sense

Finish the deal?? He couldn't even get out of the first round and you're talking about finishing the deal?? LOL

I guess we should just forget that for all that "winning", there was just as much losing.  For his career he averaged 8 wins a season and you think that should get him consideration for a team HoF?

Beyond laughable. His name shouldn't even be in the discussion for the RoH.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So let me get this correct, a coach that took over the worse franchise in the 90s in the NFL, ends up becoming ranked right now as the 29th winnest coach in NFL history and takes the team to 7 playoffs ( so roughly 44% of the time he coached) and because he was not able to finish the deal in the playoffs he should not be on in the ring of honor.. yea that makes sense

Please tell me you typed out “29th winningest coach” with a straight face? LOL LOL LOL

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:53 PM)Housh Wrote: This would be a decent thread topic but i refuse to create this type of thread while we are still active in the playoffs

Agreed... Water under bridges. Yesterday is history, and right now we're plugging away at a championship.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Finish the deal?? He couldn't even get out of the first round and you're talking about finishing the deal?? LOL

I guess we should just forget that for all that "winning", there was just as much losing.  For his career he averaged 8 wins a season and you think that should get him consideration for a team HoF?

Beyond laughable. His name shouldn't even be in the discussion for the RoH.

then either should some of the players that could not finish the deal with your logic in the playoffs either.  The browns are still trying to find a consistent coach after their terrible 10 year run, no one gave Lewis a chance to turn the worse team in history of a decade (before the browns took that over) and he not only did that but made the team competitive ... 29th in the list is still a nice accomplishment especially with the franchise he started with... your post is laughable to disregard his ranking and what he did for this franchise..
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: then either should some of the players that could not finish the deal with your logic in the playoffs either.  The browns are still trying to find a consistent coach after their terrible 10 year run, no one gave Lewis a chance to turn the worse team in history of a decade (before the browns took that over) and he not only did that but made the team competitive ... 29th in the list is still a nice accomplishment especially with the franchise he started with... your post is laughable to disregard his ranking and what he did for this franchise..

Essex...the players get in based on how they perform individually. The coaches can't be judged that way so they have to be judged on their coaching. Winning "a bunch" of games because you were fortunate to hang around long enough isn't something to hang your hat on when you lost (in the regular season) as much as you won and you were one-and-done an NFL record 7 straight times. 

There are honestly only a handful of former Bengals players that "deserve" to be in the RoH based on what they did when they played. A, sadly, pretty small handful considering how long this franchise has been around. 

Putting in a coach that won 131 games in 16 years (8 per year) and never even once won a playoff game cheapens the "honor" completely. 

Reply/Quote
I liken this discussion to the new age participant award kids.

Do we give it the losers as well? AKA Marvin
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Nah.

He was a mediocore coach record wise. Putting him in would be rewarding mediocrity
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:41 PM)jason Wrote: Definitely not makin' excuses. There were zero excuses for one of them (San Diego)... The 2015 game, there were zero excuses to lose after that interception. I was just disputing that we were the favorite in all "but maybe 2" of them. I don't think Vegas had them that way.

If you're referring to who I think you are, he never said we were favored in all but 2 games.

He said we weren't big underdogs except once or twice.

People try to excuse the losses by saying we weren't favored in most of them. He's saying we weren't big underdogs much, and were even favored 2-3 times, so by sheer probability, we should've come out with at least one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote