Joe
73.17%
30 73.17%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should Mixon get his job back
.......as our feature back when he returns?

Early in the season folks were mad that Mixon wasn't getting enough carries; heck, I think Mixon even complained about it publicly.

In Benard's 2 complete games as feature back Gio has 24 carries for 139 yards (5.8 YPC)

In Mixon's 11 complete games as our feature back Joe has 150 carries for 484 yards (3.2 YPC)

So what think we going forward?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ever since Fan in Kettering mentioned the change in blocking scheme both backs have had nice running room. I’d like to see 60/40 Mixon/Gio, or somewhere around there.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: .......as our feature back when he returns?

Early in the season folks were mad that Mixon wasn't getting enough carries; heck, I think Mixon even complained about it publicly.

In Benard's 2 complete games as feature back Gio has 24 carries for 139 yards (5.8 YPC)

In Mixon's 11 complete games as our feature back Joe has 150 carries for 484 yards (3.2 YPC)

I think it's a harder choice than people realize. 

Gio only had one chance as the heavy workload back and played well. He just got nicked up and then Hill finished the year big.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Gio is best when he has limited carries. He will wear down as the season goes.
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Hill getting the longest leash in the history of running backs is one reason my heart isn’t bleeding out for Marvin like you see a little of going on here.
Reply/Quote
Gio. Only because I don't want Mixon getting hurt again in the next 3 meaningless games
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gio is best when he has limited carries.  He will wear down as the season goes.

I understand where you are coming from but Gio is also one of those guys that on any given touch can make big plays. It's hard not too give him the ball.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Fickle Thread.

Anyone who has watched the past few games knows the run blocking (and all blocking) has improved as of late.

Mixon will get the job, and deservedly so.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: .......as our feature back when he returns?

It's unfair to take Gio's last 2 games and compare them to Mixon's season stats. It's like me taking Mixon's last 2 starts and comparing it to Gio's season stats. Clearly a change happened along the o-line and now both our backs are looking fantastic. I realize you think our RB's just figured out how to "get skinny" and squeeze through small holes, but I don't think that's likely. Not considering that 2 different backs suddenly got way better at the exact same time.

Logic says our line changed it up, and Fan in Kettering's theory about directional blocking makes the most sense. At this point, I don't care who starts. I think Gio and Mixon have both proven their worth and talent as long as the line holds up their end.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:12 PM)Synric Wrote: I understand where you are coming from but Gio is also one of those guys that on any given touch can make big plays. It's hard not too give him the ball.

Yes I agree. But pass pro takes a toll on him.
Reply/Quote
Mixon with the bulk of the carries he has a 230 pound frame. Gio needs touches cause he is a play maker but his 210 pound frame cant carry the bulk of the carries throughout the year. I love both backs and they need to release the guy they just signed and bring up Jarveon Williams from our practice squad.
Reply/Quote
Well, where's the accusations of Mixon being responsible for the debacle v Chicago?
SURELY SOMEONE can come up with a reason that a guy who wasn't in the game caused it to happen..
And yes, I called you all Surely!  Wink 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 10:55 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Ever since Fan in Kettering mentioned the change in blocking scheme both backs have had nice running room. I’d like to see 60/40 Mixon/Gio, or somewhere around there.

sounds about right.
Reply/Quote
Use them both, but I'd give Gio the nod since he's doing better. We say we want a team where the coaches hold the players accountable, so I don't see why we'd reduce Gio's workload after he's done so well.
Reply/Quote
Its not an either or both should get their share of touches.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Go with the hot hand, Gio has the hot hand.

But like someone else said Gio 60% Mixon 40%
Reply/Quote
Like the kid and he is running hard so went with Gio.

Believe Mixon has a bigger upside though and is the future.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If Gio was just a little bigger he could be a superstar.

Think Mixon will become one with right blocking.

Speaking of blocking they have looked much better lately but hope that does not keep us from drafting some help.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

You play Mixon, get him more experience, and see what he's got.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Why is this even a question. With Hill out of the mix (thankfully), there are more than enough opportunities for Joe and Gio. Gio is what he is, a very dangerous change of pace back, who is dangerous in open space. Joe is an up the middle guy. And both can catch. They will actually make a very good combo....
Reply/Quote