Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Trading McCarron Be Considered?
(03-10-2016, 11:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In 100% of the regular season games McCarron started he posted a higher passer rating than the opposing defense allowed against the rest of the league.

You are welcome for the education.

Any more questions?

So we're just not gonna talk about the 3 INTs and 4 fumbles he had in those 5 games he played? Or that in his last 3 games he didn't even reach 6 yards per attempt?

Actually. When adding all his games up that he started, he only averaged 6.94 yards per attempt. Ranking him 28th in the league.

Can also go into tape and talk about his happy feet. Or how he held onto the ball so much that he was sacked 12 times. And don't give me "That's on the offensive line". Dalton was sacked 20 times and played in far more games.

So it's not as clear cut as "He had a high passer rating". Yeah, and look at what that defense had to do.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 04:26 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So we're just not gonna talk about the 3 INTs and 4 fumbles he had in those 5 games he played? Or that in his last 3 games he didn't even reach 6 yards per attempt?

Actually. When adding all his games up that he started, he only averaged 6.94 yards per attempt. Ranking him 28th in the league.

Can also go into tape and talk about his happy feet. Or how he held onto the ball so much that he was sacked 12 times. And don't give me "That's on the offensive line". Dalton was sacked 20 times and played in far more games.

So it's not as clear cut as "He had a high passer rating". Yeah, and look at what that defense had to do.

Is this your first time "discussing" football with fred? 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 04:26 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So we're just not gonna talk about the 3 INTs and 4 fumbles he had in those 5 games he played? Or that in his last 3 games he didn't even reach 6 yards per attempt?

Your pointing out a couple of bad games for a guy playing in his first games and you want this to translate to his career or the type of QB he can be?

I know some notable QBs who had worse stretches with far more experience and turned out to have some good years in them. We just well may need AJM at some point in the next two years and we'll be glad we have him, especially at the price we're paying.

I'm just not sure what problem you are trying to solve by trading him away.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 05:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Your pointing out a couple of bad games for a guy playing in his first games and you want this to translate to his career or the type of QB he can be?

I know some notable QBs who had worse stretches with far more experience and turned out to have some good years in them. We just well may need AJM at some point in the next two years and we'll be glad we have him, especially at the price we're paying.

I'm just not sure what problem you are trying to solve by trading him away.

No, I'm not. What I'm saying is you should be willing to trade a backup QB while you have your franchise QB who had a career year and a MVP type year.

Not trying to trade him away. Saying if a team offers a 2nd round pick you listen. Don't shop him, let the phone calls come to you.

Reply/Quote
I feel sorry for any team that would put McCarron as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:30 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I feel sorry for any team that would put McCarron as a starter.

Could be worse though, the options could be RGIII or Manziel. In that case, McCarron is the better choice.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 02:17 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, I like it but Sanders has a $5,600,000 salary for 2016 and he's a free agent at season's end. I'm not sure that fits in the team's spending plans.

Actually that might fit very well.

Draft 2 guys this year, develop them, let Sanders chase the money get a comp pick in 2018, and roll with the 2 that we drafted.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 04:26 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Actually. When adding all his games up that he started, he only averaged 6.94 yards per attempt. Ranking him 28th in the league.

You mean "better than some other starters" 28th in the league?

And, no, I did not ignore ANY of his passing stats.  Interceptions, yards, and number of attempts, in addition to completions and tds passes, are all used in calculating "passer rating".

And just to add more information to the evaluation I looked at the passer ratings of the defenses he started against.  In every regular season start his passer rating was higher than what the opposing defense allowed to the rest of the league.
Reply/Quote
BTW just heard on NFL Network that Bengals are not going to trade McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:05 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: No, I'm not. What I'm saying is you should be willing to trade a backup QB while you have your franchise QB who had a career year and a MVP type year.

Not trying to trade him away. Saying if a team offers a 2nd round pick you listen. Don't shop him, let the phone calls come to you.

MVP quarterback is useless when he is injured and can't play.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: MVP quarterback is useless when he is injured and can't play.

Good thing there's backups in the NFL.

Hey, there's some young quarterbacks in the draft too that would also be decent backups.

Doesn't dismiss the fact that you can possibly get a starter for a backup and still have the money/draft position to draft a backup.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:39 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: What if the front office knocks a deal with McCarron out of the park like they did with Palmer? That'd be cool.

Anything is possible with Hue at the wheel of another team.

If hue grabs Kaep from underneath the Broncos then he may have played a role.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW just heard on NFL Network that Bengals are not going to trade McCarron.

That sucks.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW just heard on NFL Network that Bengals are not going to trade McCarron.

According to who, though?

Also, of course we're going to say that we're not going to trade him because it drives the asking price up.

Or maybe we are set on him as a backup/insurance policy.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 04:37 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Good thing there's backups in the NFL.

Hey, there's some young quarterbacks in the draft too that would also be decent backups.

Doesn't dismiss the fact that you can possibly get a starter for a backup and still have the money/draft position to draft a backup.

You can't draft another McCarron!

Once in a lifetime player! Irreplaceable! 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 11:36 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: That sucks.

I wouldn't count on that just yet. I feel like when the draft is close someone will call. The Bengals aren't going to actively shop him since that may lower potential compensation.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:54 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I have nothing against McCarron. What annoys me is when fans try to make a QB competition out of nothing.

I hope McCarron does well as a Bengal. But sometimes you have to take opportunities like this to better overall your team. He isn't a starter and could help this team moving forward.

Dalton grew up as a QB in 2015, so there is no competition. But if he had had another 2014, then yes there would be a QB competition like it or not.

The ideas that we'll get a high 2nd pick or a 1st for McCarron is just ridiculous. Denver is reportedly offering a 4th for Kaepernick. So not sure what McCarron is worth, but we'd have to turn around spend that same pick on another backup QB. I just don't see how that would help the team at all.

The Bengals are smart not to trade McCarron. They already have him trained and he can do a backup's job.

Reply/Quote
I decided to resurrect this thread because the topic of trading AJ Mac has come back up. 

I know some people said that AJ wasn't traded because no one offered anything. Well Lap just talked with Lance McCallister and said that some team offered a 2nd and 4th for him. The Bengals opted against it wanting a 1st and 4th. 

Really curious if they would take a 2 and 4 this off-season. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 12:05 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I decided to resurrect this thread because the topic of trading AJ Mac has come back up. 

I know some people said that AJ wasn't traded because no one offered anything. Well Lap just talked with Lance McCallister and said that some team offered a 2nd and 4th for him. The Bengals opted against it wanting a 1st and 4th. 

Browns front office has discussed their second 1st and a 4th
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 12:05 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I decided to resurrect this thread because the topic of trading AJ Mac has come back up. 

Man if we get that or better, I'll be thrilled. No offense to Mac, but wow. I bet that team was the Browns, considering they didn't really nab a QB last year. I just wonder if they'd still be interested when they have the #1 overall pick. I'd take their 33rd overall pick in a heartbeat. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote