Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should the government pay off student's debt?
(07-18-2023, 10:24 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: One of our directors was sitting at home having dinner with his family and asked his 18yr old son, who was unemployed, what it would take to get young people to come to work. The xbox was the son's idea, and the director brought that idea to a meeting. Something else interesting the kid said was it wasn't about the money (we paid well compared to other industries), it was about time. He didn't want to spend 8hrs, or 1/2 his day working. He wanted to work 4-6 hours and still have time for himself. I get it, I really do. I hate working all day myself and unless people really enjoy their careers, I'm sure they're not fond of it either.

Cold hard cash is not the motivator it once was.

My job has me working with a plethora of low income clients and they say this all the time. I’m a HUGE work for what you want type dude but even i can’t hate them for their reasonings.

Why would you work 40+ hours a week just to not make enough to live, when you can get on section 8, food stamps and other benefits? Food stamps program in Ohio makes you do 20 hours in a work program or if you are in drug or mental health treatment you don’t even have to do the work program for food stamps. So basically work your ass off and be broke or chill, rake in benefits and be broke. It’s not really a hard choice for them.

My wife is an engineer and she says a lot of the younger employees they are getting have HUGE work ethic issues. Coming to work on your phone all damn shift, taking forever to do tasks, and wanting off time all the damn time. I understand that new research is coming out saying break time actually makes you more productive but even that stops at a certain point.

My wife works with a guy who’s literally been verbally reprimanded for phone usage multiple times and he’s not even a year in his position.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 10:24 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: One of our directors was sitting at home having dinner with his family and asked his 18yr old son, who was unemployed, what it would take to get young people to come to work. The xbox was the son's idea, and the director brought that idea to a meeting. Something else interesting the kid said was it wasn't about the money (we paid well compared to other industries), it was about time. He didn't want to spend 8hrs, or 1/2 his day working. He wanted to work 4-6 hours and still have time for himself. I get it, I really do. I hate working all day myself and unless people really enjoy their careers, I'm sure they're not fond of it either.

Cold hard cash is not the motivator it once was.

If anything this illustrates just how predatory the lending process is with regard to young people.  The actually believe it's not about the money.  It's always about the money.  People who tell you otherwise just want it all for themselves.  

I am sure, however, that corporate America will be elated to hear young people vocalizing their desire not to make money.  They'll most assuredly use it as justification to stop paying everyone else that still understands that it's about nothing but the money.  
Reply/Quote