Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should we bring back Kevin Coyle as an assistant?
It looks like Kevin Coyle will be fired by the Dolphins this week.

Should we bring him back as an assistant?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Simple No. There is a reason they all just got fired.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 01:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It looks like Kevin Coyle will be fired by the Dolphins this week.

Yes why not.... But i think zimmer grabs him first. he knows zimmers D well

and Mark Carrier and Joseph Vance are doing a great job here. but Vance might start getting HC or DC looks soon so having Coyle stashed somewhere like HUE a few years back isnt a horrible Idea
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 01:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Simple No. There is a reason they all just got fired.

He was one of our guys before. He was a good secondary coach here.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't have a problem bringing him in and having him as a special assistant somewhere a la Hue Jackson. He landed a DC job for the great work he did here.
Reply/Quote
Could be a corners replacement for Vance Joseph . But I think he will have other suitors. I remember Andy Reid wanting him on his staffs in Philly.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 01:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Simple No. There is a reason they all just got fired.

There is a reason Hue Jackson got fired Ninja
Reply/Quote
Do not be surprised if Vance Joseph ends up as the head coach in Miami. I would bring back Coyle, the guy at one point was thought to be the next D coordinator here before taking the Miami job.
Reply/Quote
Hm. A DC whose D gave up within 4 weeks....

In Week 2, there were already reports that Suh was ignoring play calls and working under his own direction. While the Dolphins and Suh denied it, Ian Rapoport reported that during the week players held a meeting with Coyle and expressed frustration with his schemes, which he refused to change...even after the Dolphins have given up more than 400 yards to opposing offenses in back-to-back weeks.

My vote is no, fwiw.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 01:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yes why not.... But i think zimmer grabs him first. he knows zimmers D well

and Mark Carrier and Joseph Vance are doing a great job here. but Vance might start getting HC or DC looks soon so having Coyle stashed somewhere like HUE a few years back isnt a horrible Idea

I'm hoping that the front office has a plan for a higher position for Vance Joseph, right here.

As for Coyle, he deserved his chance at a bigger position.  He won't be out of a job long.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Could that reason be that they are poorly managed, at the front office level?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No, he should not be brought in. That Miami defense under performed so badly... that would be a terrible idea. I never understand why people want to immediately bring back anyone who needs a job.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 04:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: No, he should not be brought in.  That Miami defense under performed so badly... that would be a terrible idea.  I never understand why people want to immediately bring back anyone who needs a job.

I don't think that anyone wants to bring Coyle in as anything other than a position coach, which he was damned good at.  I'm thinking that Miami was just a bad scene for Coyle.  Heck, the Dolphins have been super aggressive in free agency the past few years, what has it landed them?  A collection of talented players that have no unity or team loyalty, that's what.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 03:37 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: Hm. A DC whose D gave up within 4 weeks....

In Week 2, there were already reports that Suh was ignoring play calls and working under his own direction. While the Dolphins and Suh denied it, Ian Rapoport reported that during the week players held a meeting with Coyle and expressed frustration with his schemes, which he refused to change...even after the Dolphins have given up more than 400 yards to opposing offenses in back-to-back weeks.

My vote is no, fwiw.

Yeah because a DC can control the entire culture of a franchise.  :snark: 

Honestly, their ownership has always seemed like a mess. They had that deal with Incognito a couple years ago. Now Suh is being a cancer (and that's a term I do not throw around lightly). I have trouble blaming Coyle here. His defense was great when everyone bought in. We saw that first hand...twice. Most of these players knew what the system was when they put the pen to the paper of their contract. Now that have a problem?

That locker room is completely lost and that's not Coyle's fault. I'd bring him back if Zim doesn't get him first.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 04:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: No, he should not be brought in. That Miami defense under performed so badly... that would be a terrible idea. I never understand why people want to immediately bring back anyone who needs a job.

like when a DC or OC moves to HC and fails they go back to being a DC or OC...

Colye apparently failed as a DC but our DBs played well under him. he wouldnt just get his spot back could be an advisor or an assistant in case one of the DB coaches leaves next year. or we could just have 3 DB coaches... lol

He has had some time to study those AFCE opponents.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 04:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah because a DC can control the entire culture of a franchise.  :snark: 

Honestly, their ownership has always seemed like a mess. They had that deal with Incognito a couple years ago. Now Suh is being a cancer (and that's a term I do not throw around lightly). I have trouble blaming Coyle here. His defense was great when everyone bought in. We saw that first hand...twice. Most of these players knew what the system was when they put the pen to the paper of their contract. Now that have a problem?

That locker room is completely lost and that's not Coyle's fault. I'd bring him back if Zim doesn't get him first.

I get that he's a scapegoat for a flippin' disastrous quarter-season....

Thing is, he was on the hot seat last year. Suh IS a cancer, you're right. The part you have wrong is that Coyle isn't culpable in letting the Suh cancer eat at his authority, and that Coyle may have lobbied to bring in Suh to halt his slide from favor:

“I think the only possibility that you have today is maybe Kevin Coyle won’t have a job by the end of the day,” the Sun Sentinel’s Omar Kelly said on the Joe Rose Show. “I do believe that Kevin Coyle probably deserves to be fired for this reason: this problem has continued since six games into last season, hasn’t gotten better, and they haven’t been able to stop the run. In fact, the problem is getting worse. I felt like he shouldn’t have been fired last year. I clearly think I made a mistake because I thought injuries were the reason they started to fall apart against the run. It’s not the reason why. They just can’t stop the run.”
Reply/Quote
Not really wild about changing anything we have going here for now. On to Seattle.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 01:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It looks like Kevin Coyle will be fired by the Dolphins this week.

In a second I would bring him back as a "special" assistant, remember we do have a track record for bringing back old coaches
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I would definitely bring him back as an assistant. If Joseph gets a promotion after this season, then I have no issue with Coyle getting the DB coach job. Don't forget that we still have Mark Carrier.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Yes.  He was a good coach for us.  
Reply/Quote