Poll: Should the Bengals tank at 0-4
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should we tank with Dolphins
What generational talent is worth tanking for? Now if you ask should we commit to full rebuild mode and trade stars for draft picks; that's a totally different question.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tanking is stupid since the top three candidates for the top pick could all have their careers ended next weekend. And the Colts didn't tank. They were one of the teams that drafted a high round QB, built everything around him to fit him and his idiosyncrasies and then when he went down, the team couldn't function. Which is why I like Dalton after having that exact same situation with Carson Palmer. Dalton's not awesome and he's not elite, but even a scrub like McCarron could still make the team semi-function when he was hurt.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
**** no.

Tell'em Herm.

[Image: PTWTG-450x244.png]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Well reading through the comments, it looks as though our fans are adamant, no tanking allowed no matter how crappy our pathetic team is anyway. ThumbsUp

At least we have something the Dolphins don't have, our integrity.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Now if you ask should we commit to full rebuild mode and trade stars for draft picks; that's a totally different question.

That is a form of tanking, but a team has to be in a hopeless losing position.  

Problem is that there is often not a huge difference between a 6-10 team and a 9-7 playoff contender.  Maybe just a handful of crucial plays.  So the 9-7 team would never consider going into full rebuild mode.

We are currently on a 1-10 run.  We have more talent than that, but it doesn't look like we will come close to contending this year.
Reply/Quote
We may not have a choice. May tank with out trying.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well, it is obvious the Miami plan is to put a product on the field the chances of winning are not good. Here is an article detailing the Dolphins plan. Others have tanked as well in other sports and it worked.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27699720/barnwell-dolphins-really-doing-how-tank-win

The question becomes is it a great long term strategy to build a playoff team? I hate losing, I hate worse throwing games. But, that is my emotional side. My strategic side says others have done it to rebuild more rapidly.

If we lose this week and go to 0-4 where our odds to make the playoffs go south, should we start making trades for draft picks in 2020 to needy playoff caliber teams to accumulate picks and to assure ZT starters ain 2019 are not talented enough to iwn games securing a top 3 pick? It goes against my morals, but maybe it is very smart move.

Thoughts?

No, you don't tank. It sets a terrible precedent to the players and an even worse one to what fans the team still has. It would do no good to a very young, rookie head coach, and it'd accomplish nothing other than getting them a top 5 pick that'll be on IR before training camp if the last 6 drafts are anything to go on.
To borrow a quote from Sam Wyche: "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!"
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only one I can think of is the Colts.

But NFL teams just don't tank that often.  I think is has to do with the risks and potential sacrifices football players face just playing the game.  It is a lot different asking players to go out and play basketball or baseball with out even trying to win than it is asking a gtouy to risk his bones and brains to play a football game while not even trying to win.

Plus NBA has a lottery for the top picks. Tank and there's still like a 75% change you dont pick 1st.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What generational talent is worth tanking for? Now if you ask should we commit to full rebuild mode and trade stars for draft picks; that's a totally different question.

Probably nobody this year, but next year...

Trevor Lawrence. He will change whatever franchise is lucky enough to get him.

Reply/Quote
We don’t even have to try and tank, we already are
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
It makes more sense in the NBA. A single player can transform an NBA team overnight. A single superstar in the NFL can’t elevate a team that far by himself. Also, many top NFL picks, including qbs are total busts.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 04:41 PM)jason Wrote: Which team in he NFL has tanking paid off for anyway?

Colts but now Luck is retired.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals lose monday, it'll be the 11th time in franchise history that they've started 0-4. We went 8-8 one time and the rest of time, we had double digit losses. I don't think we need to worry about ranking since history isn't on our side.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What generational talent is worth tanking for? Now if you ask should we commit to full rebuild mode and trade stars for draft picks; that's a totally different question.

(09-26-2019, 08:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is a form of tanking, but a team has to be in a hopeless losing position.  

Problem is that there is often not a huge difference between a 6-10 team and a 9-7 playoff contender.  Maybe just a handful of crucial plays.  So the 9-7 team would never consider going into full rebuild mode.

We are currently on a 1-10 run.  We have more talent than that, but it doesn't look like we will come close to contending this year.
I don't get trading stars especially if there under contract for multiple years ( Dunlap & Atkins) to get better. Top 100 Draft picks are 50/50 wether they work out or not and I imagine anything in the 4th Rd or after the chances get significantly worse to hit on a draft pick( duh). 
I just don't see the logic in it plus tanking just makes the process longer than it has to be
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 05:59 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Colts

The Colts tanked for Andrew Luck and see how great he's doing this season.. if I thought I could walk away risk free with millions of dollars I'd tank as well.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well, it is obvious the Miami plan is to put a product on the field the chances of winning are not good. Here is an article detailing the Dolphins plan. Others have tanked as well in other sports and it worked.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27699720/barnwell-dolphins-really-doing-how-tank-win

The question becomes is it a great long term strategy to build a playoff team? I hate losing, I hate worse throwing games. But, that is my emotional side. My strategic side says others have done it to rebuild more rapidly.

If we lose this week and go to 0-4 where our odds to make the playoffs go south, should we start making trades for draft picks in 2020 to needy playoff caliber teams to accumulate picks and to assure ZT starters ain 2019 are not talented enough to iwn games securing a top 3 pick? It goes against my morals, but maybe it is very smart move.

Thoughts?

No, the damage to your current core would be irreparable.  They need to beat pitt and AZ and then stare down their division opponents.  It is a very slim chance, but they can still go on a run and make this interesting.  

Green Bay's new offense had been floundering along but they really started to click last night.  Cincy's offense will do the same, I have no doubts.  My biggest concern is can the defense improve with the current roster?  It has to play a lot better than it has been.  
Reply/Quote
I'm torn. The only reason to intentionally tank would be for one of the top two QBs. QB isn't the biggest position of need but Dalton isn't elite either. If the Bengals take a QB in the first round, I'm not expecting they all of a sudden turn into a playoff team next year, as I think whatever QB is selected ends up sitting in Dalton's final year under contract. Basically, it would turn into yet another Bengals 1st rounder not playing much.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 09:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Probably nobody this year, but next year...

Trevor Lawrence. He will change whatever franchise is lucky enough to get him.

I still don't see how he is going to be a huge, game-changer; he plays in a superb system, with a fantastic running game.

Plus, he's already got 1 more pick this year, than he did last year, in 4x the amount of games.

If he is plugged into an established system, ala KC or even the Colts, I think he will thrive, but I don't see him as some generational superstar.

May just be me though.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
dolphins belong in a tank.... tigers do not.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 06:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If the Bengals ever tanked on purpose, I would never watch them again. Any team that tanks should be banned from professional sports. You have fans that paid hard earned money to go to games to watch you win and tanking would totally disgrace those fans. Tanking is disgusting and unethical. I also feel that if the Colts tanked, every person who bought a ticket, a jersey, hat or any other souvenir and even bought a damn soft drink or beer at the stadium should sue the shit out of that team for fraud. In addition, any coach or player who purposely contributed to the tanking should be banned from ever playing in professional sports or even non professional for that matter and serve jail time for fraud.

100% agreed!!!

Unethical.
Reply/Quote