Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shula won meaningless year-end games too...
Shula was a master of meaningless wins.

1992 Bengals - Shula won 1 of last 2.
1993 - Won 2 of last 3. 3-13
1994 - Won last game. 3-13
1995 - Won 4 of last 7. 7-9
1996 - Fired
Reply/Quote
But Shula regressed after winning 5 games his first year, ZT already won more than last year and beat Steelers in his second year took Shula to year 4 to beat Steelers..
Who Dey ZT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: But Shula regressed after winning 5 games his first year, ZT already won more than last year and beat Steelers in his second year took Shula to year 4 to bear Steelers..
Who Dey ZT.

What a high bar!

Reply/Quote
Deja Vu

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Okay-This-is-Unsettling
Reply/Quote
So was Marvin he did it 5 times.
04, 07, 08, 10,17
Made the playoffs 3 times the following season and started 2018 4-1 before injuries derailed the season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: But Shula regressed after winning 5 games his first year, ZT already won more than last year and beat Steelers in his second year  took Shula to year 4 to bear Steelers..
Who Dey ZT.

Well the team won 6 before Zac got here. Then 2. Then 3.5. Another year or 2 and we'll be back to winning 6!
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:42 PM)J24 Wrote: So was Marvin he did it 5 times.
04,  07, 08, 10,17
Made the playoffs 3 times the following season and started 2018 4-1 before injuries derailed the season.

How did the 2019 team do?

Last year, we figured out how to run tha ball midway through the year. How did that carry over into this year?

We actually won our last game of the season last year. How did that momentum carry over?
Reply/Quote
When the team you root for beats their opponent; it's not meaningless.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What a high bar!

Well i wanted to put a positive spin on it since it seems to some we are reliving history and  since I could have added Shula drafted Klingler as our franchise QB and both failed and put the Bengals on a terrible decade.. ZT drafted Burrow as ours.. so guess if we are stuck in repeating history we are headed towards failure with ZT and Burrow.. 

So there is my positive spin.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 11:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well i wanted to put a positive spin on it since it seems to some we are reliving history and  since I could have added Shula drafted Klingler as our franchise QB and both failed and put the Bengals on a terrible decade.. ZT drafted Burrow as ours.. so guess if we are stuck in repeating history we are headed towards failure with ZT and Burrow.. 

So there is my positive spin.

I'd say a major knee injury in year 1 for Burrow due to calling too many passing plays and starting bad lineman isnt exactly the coaches setting Burrow up for success.

Interestingly, we beat Jax and Pitt with mainly run heavy offenses.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 11:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say a major knee injury in year 1 for Burrow due to calling too many passing plays and starting bad lineman isnt exactly the coaches setting Burrow up for success.

Michael Jordan starting as long as he did should absolutely get someone fired. Multiple people if it was up to me.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 11:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say a major knee injury in year 1 for Burrow due to calling too many passing plays and starting bad lineman isnt exactly the coaches setting Burrow up for success.

The problem is, the guard play across the board was worse than the tackle play especially in 1st half of year regardless who we played.. there was very few options and i don;t buy too many passes,  for three very accurate reasons.  1.  We had trouble running..  2.  We were behind most games so we would throw more  3. The change in passing style in the NFL , today quick passing is like replacing 5 to 10 runs a game.. think about it how many pitch sweeps do you even seen in todays game? it is not just a Cincinnati thing.. it is a league thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 12:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The problem is, the guard play across the board was worse than the tackle play especially in 1st half of year regardless who we played.. there was very few options and i don;t buy too many passes,  for three very accurate reasons.  1.  We had trouble running..  2. We were behind most games so we would throw more  3. The change in passing style in the NFL , today quick passing is like replacing 5 to 10 runs a game.. think about it how many pitch sweeps do you even seen in todays game? it is not just a Cincinnati thing.. it is a league thing.

No we weren’t. We had leads against Indy, Philly, the 2nd Cleveland game, plus our 2 wins against JAX and Tennessee where iirc we never trailed. That’s half of the games Burrow played in. We also had a lead against Washington when Taylor had Burrow throw 34 times in just over one half.

Reply/Quote
I want to see how the Bengals play against Houston. I watched the Steelers game for a second time. It was better than the first. I laughed when Juju got blown up. Laughed when Mac intercepted and high stepped. Laughed on Gino TD’s. I haven’t had this much fun watching football all year.

These guys were intense! I never seen Shula have a team were the players played hard for him. Matter of fact, other teams laughed at how out of shape they were.

I am not a ZT fan. Never have been. Thought he didn’t have enough experience and still think that. However, if these guys play hard and intense like they did Monday night, well maybe we are on the up. Let’s see Sunday.

The Monday game was something of beauty after seeing such horrid football after Burrow went down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Wow guys I guess the o-line is fixed! No need for Sewell or another guard!
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 11:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How did the 2019 team do?

Last year, we figured out how to run tha ball midway through the year. How did that carry over into this year?

We actually won our last game of the season last year. How did that momentum carry over?

It didn't and that's one of the reasons why I have soured on this coaching staff. The team has actually gotten worse.
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 04:25 PM)J24 Wrote: It didn't and that's one of the reasons why I have soured on this coaching staff. The team has actually gotten worse.

I disagree. 2020 Bengals > 2019 Bengals even with a myriad of injuries.

Better record
More scoring on offense
Improved run defense
Beat the Steelers
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 04:51 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I disagree. 2020 Bengals > 2019 Bengals even with a myriad of injuries.

Better record
More scoring on offense
Improved run defense
Beat the Steelers

Ok they didn't improve enough.
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 04:51 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I disagree. 2020 Bengals > 2019 Bengals even with a myriad of injuries.

Better record
More scoring on offense
Improved run defense
Beat the Steelers

I honestly think there's less of a difference than you might imagine...

Better record, but much weaker Strength of Schedule. -0.03 (18th in NFL) in 2020 vs 1.47 (5th in NFL) in 2019 according to PFR.
Actually the exact same ranking on scoring offense (30th) between the two years.
True the defense is 6 ranks higher in 2020 (19th vs 25th).
True they beat the Steelers.

It's pretty much a wash. They are both really bad teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Better record
More scoring on offense
Improved run defense
Beat the Steelers

We spend an insane amount in free agency. Added Burrow, Higgins, Wilson in the draft. Got Jonah back who missed 2019. AJ Green back from injury.

Added Reader (who played at the start of the year), Bynes, XSF, Spain, Vonn Bell, etc.

And we were A LITTLE better.

By improved run defense, we were 3rd worst last I checked. That's improved from worst.

For all the resources/additions management added, a 1.5 game improvement in wins isn't good. We won 6 games Marvin's final year. We're still at around HALF of that.

Teams ALWAYS have injuries. ALWAYS. The Steelers were missing Connor, Dupree, and Bush. 3 of their best players. Yet you somehow still count that win.
Reply/Quote