Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simens looks good
(09-09-2016, 01:40 AM)MentalRage Wrote: https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/774103820242526208

Watch this and tell me they didnt miss a ton of hits. Im not even a Newton fan. I just call it like I see it. If we want to get an uproar about the Gio/Shazier hit and player safety then this should bother us. 

In the first one he had left the pocket and was running towards the line of scrimmage. He loses some QB protections there. You can't pretend to be a runner then pull up last second and be like "Lol, JK! I'm a passer, please protect me!"

The second one was meh if it wasn't in slow motion. (Look at the Burfict v Brown hit in normal speed and then in slow motion. There's a reason they only show it in slow motion to sensationalize it.)

The third hit WAS flagged. Just offset by intentional grounding.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:45 AM)MentalRage Wrote: So now you're allowed to launch headfirst into the quarterback as he is making a throw? Got it. 

Just admit you dont like Cam Newton and we can end our discussion.

The only time they launched headfirst into Cam was flagged. The rest of the time they didn't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:57 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Carolina started two rookie CBs right?

Stop the run and we beat the Broncos.

No just one.  But they were all nobodies.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:46 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In the first one he had left the pocket and was running towards the line of scrimmage. He loses some QB protections there. You can't pretend to be a runner then pull up last second and be like "Lol, JK! I'm a passer, please protect me!"

The second one was meh if it wasn't in slow motion. (Look at the Burfict v Brown hit in normal speed and then in slow motion. There's a reason they only show it in slow motion to sensationalize it.)

The third hit WAS flagged. Just offset by intentional grounding.

Last time I checked you can't launch yourself head first at a runner. Quarterback or not that is illegal. Very similar to the Gio hit. 

The second one, I'll give you is iffy. 

I mostly have a problem with the first  hit not being called. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:47 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The only time they launched headfirst into Cam was flagged. The rest of the time they didn't.

What do you call that first hit in the video? He left his feet and lead with the head. He didn't even wrap his arms around Newton.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:53 AM)MentalRage Wrote: What do you call that first hit in the video? He left his feet and lead with the head. He didn't even wrap his arms around Newton.

Cam was running to the line of scrimmage, and he bent his knees and ducked down. If he wouldn't have ducked down he wouldn't have been hit in the head, and if he didn't try to run for it then it would have been a flag. Runners get hit like that all the time. You can't blame the defender when the "runner" bends his knees and ducks down.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:52 AM)MentalRage Wrote: Last time I checked you can't launch yourself head first at a runner. Quarterback or not that is illegal. Very similar to the Gio hit. 

The second one, I'll give you is iffy. 

I mostly have a problem with the first  hit not being called. 

And they called it in the exact same way as the Gio hit. AKA, they didn't throw a flag.

Apparently regardless of how they write the rules, they aren't interested in calling that play. Launching is something that rarely gets called, crown of the helmet even less. Not sure why.

Should they have called it? Perhaps. They did get calls in return with the technically true, but tickytack as hell in that situation illegal hands to the face, and the Greg Olsen blocking downfield somehow not being illegal calls both going their way.

Some calls go for you, some go against you. As long as they roughly balance out, it generally isn't too bad of an officiated game. That's why the Steelers game was so terrible.

Reply/Quote
I saw all of them. On the first one it only looks bad in slow motion. At full speed and not that angle it looks like what it was - a collision. And yes on number two he was running- per NFL rules the moment the QB starts to run he is treated as a RB and that was nothing like the flagrant uncalled spearing Shazier did to Gio. And number three was flagged but that was also the only time (out of multiple ones) they actually flagged Newton for Grounding.

And lest we forget the ticky tack hands to the face that nearly won the Panthers the game, or Olsen getting away with a flagrant pick play, or Von Miller getting literally tackled by the RT and no call. The zebras were wearing Panther colors tonight.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:57 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Cam was running to the line of scrimmage, and he bent his knees and ducked down. If he wouldn't have ducked down he wouldn't have been hit in the head, and if he didn't try to run for it then it would have been a flag. Runners get hit like that all the time. You can't blame the defender when the "runner" bends his knees and ducks down.

We can agree to disagree. I won't change you're mind and you won't change mine. haha. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 11:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 76 yards, but yeah I went 0_0

Even more impressive when you consider that it went over 85 yards in the air (76, you are correct, is from the LOS).  When I saw the return man sprinting backwards I was like:  "Where the hell is the ball?"
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:01 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And they called it in the exact same way as the Gio hit. AKA, they didn't throw a flag.

Apparently regardless of how they write the rules, they aren't interested in calling that play. Launching is something that rarely gets called, crown of the helmet even less. Not sure why.

Should they have called it? Perhaps. They did get calls in return with the technically true, but tickytack as hell in that situation illegal hands to the face, and the Greg Olsen blocking downfield somehow not being illegal calls both going their way.

Some calls go for you, some go against you. As long as they roughly balance out, it generally isn't too bad of an officiated game. That's why the Steelers game was so terrible.

Steratore is a life long steelers fan from pissburgh...I worked with his sister.  She still lives there. 
Reply/Quote
Old school here. Never liked all Newton's bravado and like him even less after after his post game SB interview.

Refuse to watch him, although I did watch the Broncos first drive only to test out the audio on Game Pass.

BTW, I was expecting Game Pass audio to be on delay, so I could pause DVD and sync with radio audio. I was very disappointed to find out the audio is several seconds ahead of the TV broadcast! Sad No way to pause the Game Pass audio to sync with DVR. Was hoping to listen to Lap broadcast and watch game on DTTVwith sound down.
Reply/Quote
I don't really have a problem with much of it except for the last drive when Cam took a helmet to helmet. It was a tough shot, and I agree with Greg Olsen afterwards when he said that the league needs to treat Newton like a QB. He's not offered the same protection on calls like that as other QBs are because of his size and his penchant for running.

Also...I think the entire player safety thing is laughable considering Newton took that shot and the Doctor said he basically looked at how Cam was acting on the field and assumed that he was fine.

What is even Concussion Protocol anymore?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:26 AM)MentalRage Wrote: I know a lot of you don't like Cam (I understand why, he rubs me the wrong way quite a bit too), but he took 3 hard hits to the head and only one was called.

So much for player safety. What a joke.

Agree with you.  Newton was abused and there is no consistency in penalty calls in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
As a neutral party I thought the officials were ok. Hands to the face call was a little tacky but it was there they showed it on replay.

Cam took some shots, one called, one not.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:13 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I don't really have a problem with much of it except for the last drive when Cam took a helmet to helmet. It was a tough shot, and I agree with Greg Olsen afterwards when he said that the league needs to treat Newton like a QB. He's not offered the same protection on calls like that as other QBs are because of his size and his penchant for running.

Also...I think the entire player safety thing is laughable considering Newton took that shot and the Doctor said he basically looked at how Cam was acting on the field and assumed that he was fine.

What is even Concussion Protocol anymore?

Then he should stop running for 700 yards and 10 TDs in an offense that's built around trying to trick the defense into not knowing if the RB or the QB is going to run the ball.

You only get QB protections if you are a QB. Once you start being a RB, you lose them. Thems the breaks.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Then he should stop running for 700 yards and 10 TDs in an offense that's built around trying to trick the defense into not knowing if the RB or the QB is going to run the ball.

You only get QB protections if you are a QB. Once you start being a RB, you lose them. Thems the breaks.

A lot of the hits he takes are in the pocket, where he's being a QB. 

I'm not arguing for him to be protected as a runner, I'm asking for him to be protected when he's behind the line of scrimmage as a QB. Him being a running threat should never be a part of that. The NFL has laid out lines of when a QB becomes a runner and when he does not. The problem becomes when he's assumed to be a runner. If Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck scrambles around behind the line, launches a throw on the run, and gets blasted, he gets that flag. I'm not sure if Cam does. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:51 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: A lot of the hits he takes are in the pocket, where he's being a QB. 

I'm not arguing for him to be protected as a runner, I'm asking for him to be protected when he's behind the line of scrimmage as a QB. Him being a running threat should never be a part of that. The NFL has laid out lines of when a QB becomes a runner and when he does not. The problem becomes when he's assumed to be a runner. If Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck scrambles around behind the line, launches a throw on the run, and gets blasted, he gets that flag. I'm not sure if Cam does. 

He had only 22 less carries than Giovani Bernard last year.  He IS always a runner. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't ever seem to slide feet first.

Cam Newton in 2015 was:
-31st in rushing yards.
-38th in rushing attempts.
-T5th in rushing TDs.

If you want QB protections, just be a QB. If you want to run, don't cry about the results of getting hit.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He had only 22 less carries than Giovani Bernard last year.  He IS always a runner. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't ever seem to slide feet first.

Cam Newton in 2015 was:
-31st in rushing yards.
-38th in rushing attempts.
-T5th in rushing TDs.

If you want QB protections, just be a QB. If you want to run, don't cry about the results of getting hit.

So why does Russell Wilson get more calls than Cam? Is it because of size?

I just feel like Wilson's in the same range. Cam seems to get the LeBron treatment as a player, but is it right? I don't know.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 03:10 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: So why does Russell Wilson get more calls than Cam? Is it because of size?

I just feel like Wilson's in the same range. Cam seems to get the LeBron treatment as a player, but is it right? I don't know.

Wilson doesn't run as much as Cam. Wilson uses his feet to extend the passing play a lot more than he actually runs the ball.
Reply/Quote