Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simens looks good
Siemian looked awful. If it was Mark Sanchez that looked that way or turned out his stat line, we would be hearing the call for Paxton Lynch.
Reply/Quote
You need to remember that the Panthers caused this tendency of officials to waffle on giving him QB protections by deliberately running an offense designed around a QB acting as a RB and confusing the defense as to which role he was in, and not to mention gaming the rules on QB protection in the process. Lest we forget, we were the first NFL defense to address this read option nonsense and we did it the same way the Broncos did, only to RGIII.

If you want to stop the pounding then you need a rules change on offense where the QB must indicate whether they are QB or RB immediately after the snap and once indicated they cannot switch - if they do they draw an illegal formation penalty. Otherwise the tactic of hammering read option QBs is just going to continue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 03:26 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Siemian looked awful.  If it was Mark Sanchez that looked that way or turned out his stat line, we would be hearing the call for Paxton Lynch.

I'm not sure I agree here. He definitely looked like a kid making his first NFL start, but he did show some things you can't teach which bode well for him, like pocket awareness and poise under pressure. Give him more practice and the game slows down a bit and I think he is a solid starter at least. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 03:10 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: So why does Russell Wilson get more calls than Cam? Is it because of size?

I just feel like Wilson's in the same range. Cam seems to get the LeBron treatment as a player, but is it right? I don't know.

Partially size, Newton has like 35 pounds and half a foot on Wilson. Newton outweighs a lot of LB, all S, and all CB. Wilson does not. So those 200 pound CB don't have to try to put a heavier hit on the guy who's a third again their size.

Then because of that size here comes the other main factor of why. Wilson will do feet first slides to avoid contact, which also avoids him being seen as a RB. Cam Newton lowers his shoulder or dives head first when running, Wilson will slide. One of those actions is that of a RB, one of those actions is that of a QB.

Same reason why Ben Roethlisberger gets a little less protection in the pocket than other QBs. He is enormous and refuses to go down, so defenders can't be reasonably expected to use the minmum amount of force possible to bring him down because he'll just shake them off.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If Dalton took those exact same hits on the head without a penalty that Cam was, this forum would be melting in salty rage.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 04:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Partially size, Newton has like 35 pounds and half a foot on Wilson. Newton outweighs a lot of LB, all S, and all CB. Wilson does not. So those 200 pound CB don't have to try to put a heavier hit on the guy who's a third again their size.

Then because of that size here comes the other main factor of why. Wilson will do feet first slides to avoid contact, which also avoids him being seen as a RB. Cam Newton lowers his shoulder or dives head first when running, Wilson will slide. One of those actions is that of a RB, one of those actions is that of a QB.

Same reason why Ben Roethlisberger gets a little less protection in the pocket than other QBs. He is enormous and refuses to go down, so defenders can't be reasonably expected to use the minmum amount of force possible to bring him down because he'll just shake them off.

That's definitely fair. I do think with Brady and Manning leaving that Cam becomes the face of the NFL and it wouldn't surprise me if some of these hits start becoming penalties and getting the superstar treatment, but for now it's an imperfect science. 

It's crazy trying to watch the NFL try and legislate a game and "defining" what a runner is, especially with their advancement on concussion prevention. 
Reply/Quote
I think it is hilarious Sarcasm because Cam took a helmet to helmet which wasn't called and then he get's a BS roughing the passer call on a perfectly legal hit while he is scrambling outside of the pocket, nonetheless. The refs definitely looked a little rusty last night.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:27 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Don't duck your head when a defender is diving into your chest and you won't get hit in the head.

Per the NFL, it's 100% on the defender to aim his hits. It doesn't matter what the offensive player does, if it's a head shot, it's a penalty by rule. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 03:26 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Siemian looked awful.  If it was Mark Sanchez that looked that way or turned out his stat line, we would be hearing the call for Paxton Lynch.

Agreed. For being his first game, he made some good throws and one good fake out, but in general, he was more of a liability. His only TD was a 28 yard dump off. On the go ahead drive at the end of the game, Carolina dropped two picks. 

One ESPN article said "Clutch with 2 TD drives in the 4th!". Like I said, one was a 28 yard dump off and the other was just great running and fighting for extra yards by Anderson. Anderson looked good.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 07:18 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: That's definitely fair. I do think with Brady and Manning leaving that Cam becomes the face of the NFL and it wouldn't surprise me if some of these hits start becoming penalties and getting the superstar treatment, but for now it's an imperfect science. 

It's crazy trying to watch the NFL try and legislate a game and "defining" what a runner is, especially with their advancement on concussion prevention. 

Interesting fact: Aaron Rodgers is still only 32. He came into the NFL at 21.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote