No
86.57%
58 86.57%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Sit Joe Burrow?
I am leaning towards sitting Joe Burrow for a few weeks and letting Jake take over. If Burrow is not ready to go 100% then we should not risk him getting hurt more so. Would you be against Burrow Sitting out for the next 2-3 Weeks?

I am for it... and let Jake maintain us through the next few games if possible.
I think the toothpaste is out of the tube now. If they were going to protect him he should have sat last week.

Or Zac should have at least built a plan to run the ball more even if it meant a loss.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-14-2023, 05:56 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I am leaning towards sitting Joe Burrow for a few weeks and letting Jake take over. If Burrow is not ready to go 100% then we should not risk him getting hurt more so. Would you be against Burrow Sitting out for the next 2-3 Weeks?

I was all for sitting him week one for the following reasons. Had a horrible feeling about that game with the rain, season opener and against Cleveland. If the calf is not limiting his play then you have to start him. I’m sure if the staff thought he could make the injury worse or if he just wasn’t ready they would have sat him week one. Don’t see them doing it now.
If Joe Burrow is injured and he cannot plant and push off his right foot sufficiently well to throw accurately then yes, he should sit. However, if Joe is healthier than he was in Week One then he should probably play. The question I have is this: At what point is an injured Joe Burrow still better than a healthy Jake Browning?
I guess it depends on how hurt Burrow is and how confident we are this team can pull itself out of a hole. If we sit Burrow, I'm not confident we're going to do all that well given how little Browning has shown us so far, and ZT's record in games without Burrow. Additionally, sitting Burrow in week 2 after starting him in week 1 is really going to toss fuel on that "The Bengals are destroying Burrow" fire.

We have to play it smart with his long-term health if that's the case, but sitting him unless we have to now puts us more on track to be in "don't worry, we'll make it up later" mode. Tortoise and the hare and all that, right?
I think hearing how much they appreciate how Zac I’d so great at monitoring their bodies (Karras & OBJr) I’d 100% rule out he isn’t doing what’s best, The players mention it all the time. So I’d say let the experts decide.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Sit Burrow? Are you high?
(09-14-2023, 06:54 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Sit Burrow? Are you high?

It has been suggested recently in other threads.

I mean, every game he sits is just about a guaranteed L, so how many of those games are we willing to sacrifice?  I would vote 'no,' for the record.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
My immediate answer is no. However, this depends on Burrow's true health. We know he isn't healthy but only he and the coaching staff know exactly how hurt he is. Is it an injury that just limits his mobility but doesn't pose any greater risk of injury? I would say play him and modify the playcalls.

Is it an injury that completely affects how well he is able to throw the ball? I lean towards sitting him.

Is it an injury that poses a significant risk of worse injury? Sit him.

There is another side to this, though. If Jake Browning has to start for 3-ish weeks, I'm not feeling good about the season. If Browning were to be the QB against BAL/LAR/TEN, I think we go 0-3 in all of those contests to sit at 0-4. Is Burrow healthy by then? If he is, can he bring us out of an 0-4 deficit? Maybe, but it doesn't happen often (ever?) so I wouldn't feel great.

Right now, it sounds like the injury is limiting his mobility but I am not convinced it limits his passing ability. We will know more after this Sunday when he gets out there and plays in the 75 and sunny weather.
If it's the right decision, then make it. Only they know the progress of his condition. But I agree, don't play him to sell tickets.

They're not sitting Burrow this week playing at home against a rival.
I heard on the radio today that Burrow said if it's raining solid the water comes off the ball and it's not bad to throw. But when it's a blowing misty rain it sticks to the ball and it becomes really difficult to throw. Is that too much talk about rain? Anyway I want to think that it was just a terrible weather situation along with Burrow missing time against a good Dline with an offensive line still adjusting. Not so much the injury but that's my hope. But voted no as any games Burrow doesn't play we lose so the season would be lost. If we let him sit a few games we might as well shelve him for the season and gain the draft Capitol.
If Burrow and the medical staff think he is ready he should play.
Yes, we'll know come Sunday how he looks and how far from his normal he is. There were several times in Cleve where he just threw the ball down to end a play instead of running and sliding for some yards. Don't remember how many yards he needed for a 1st but it sure didn't look like vintage Joe. I know wet field and all but still.

If his calf is still so tender and sore where he can't plant and throw then he probably shouldn't be playing. We don't know. As said above Joe, Zac and trainers should know best. But I think back last year to Patrick limpin around still getting to the SB.
So, are we thinking that this "mild calf strain" is more serious than the team initially let on? If so, then the medical team likely is continuing to evaluate the situation and advising as per.

Should Joe be "sat" just in a precautionary measure sort of way? Absolutely not, WTF were you thinking? This team has Superbowl aspirations!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-14-2023, 05:56 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I am leaning towards sitting Joe Burrow for a few weeks and letting Jake take over.  If Burrow is not ready to go 100% then we should not risk him getting hurt more so.  Would you be against Burrow Sitting out for the next 2-3 Weeks?  

A few more weeks? So like essentially through the Titans game?

You may as well bag in the season if Burrow's not healthy enough for a whole month.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

If Joe Burrow plays and can’t throw then it’s up to Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan to recognize this and call more run plays.
(09-14-2023, 08:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If Joe Burrow plays and can’t throw then it’s up to Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan to recognize this and call more run plays.

True, but you still have to be able to execute those run plays, especially when the other team knows that it's coming.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-14-2023, 07:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I heard on the radio today that Burrow said if it's raining solid the water comes off the ball and it's not bad to throw. But when it's a blowing misty rain it sticks to the ball and it becomes really difficult to throw. Is that too much talk about rain? Anyway I want to think that it was just a terrible weather situation along with Burrow missing time against a good Dline with an offensive line still adjusting. Not so much the injury but that's my hope. But voted no as any games Burrow doesn't play we lose so the season would be lost. If we let him sit a few games we might as well shelve him for the season and gain the draft Capitol.

Lions went 2-8 last year and then made a playoff run. If they don't think he can be healthy by then then yes. But I'm 100% against tanking, ever. It's unethical and it sends a bad vibe to the players that you have no faith in them to win without 1 man.

Somehow I think we need a second thread here. If Joe Burrow cannot play is Jake Browning the answer? Is Will Grier better? I am all in for Joe Burrow and I hope he’s healthy but if he’s not then getting Jake or Will under center in practice might be a good insurance policy.