Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So how are you dealing with the Bandwagon Fans?
(02-11-2022, 07:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: I thought chicks dug the long ball 

I guess you're right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_35yWVXSo
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 04:26 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Being a Bengals fan isn't for the faint of heart.

The weak get weeded out quickly, only the strong survive. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 07:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know how I’d identify a bandwagon fan, and I can’t believe there are really all that many. Maybe some Cincy people coming out of their shell, but people around the country becoming full time fans?

Well, I was living in Pittsburgh when the Seahawks looked like they were going to be a small town, no-frills "we couldn't do it without the fans!" dynasty and I can tell you that the number of people who "totally always liked the Seahawks as their NFC team" went through the roof.

I can see a buttload of people who have a favorite team in the NFC taking on the Bengals as their 2nd team, and I can see everyone in Ohio and anyone in a state where the NFL doesn't have a strong presence getting into the Bengals.

I'm from western PA and I can tell you everyone's favorite NBA team based on a few questions.

I grew up in the 80s so it's Celtics or Lakers (I'm a Celtics fan)
I know a bunch of people who were fans of the Bulls because they grew up in the 90s and/or loved Space Jam, and you get a number of Lakers, Shaq fans in there too.  That's the way you do it, you win and then people join your ranks.  Fandom is an emotional thing, and "winning" is an emotion.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 05:25 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Ironically, “buzzword” has become one of the bigger buzzwords. People really only use it when try to discredit and idea or opinion at this point.

Protecting the fan base from intruders, or those considered less worthy of being fans is textbook gatekeeping. It happens in every type of fandom…sports, music, movies, and pretty much every hobby that exists. We’re all guilty of it to some degree.

Call it what you will. Like I said, it's about loyalty to me.

That doesn't mean I see no positives in having bandwagons around. I love seeing more Bengals fans, tbh. That said, I think the way to determine if something is right or wrong is often to just ask yourself this: If everyone did it that way, what would it look like?

If everyone was bandwagon, sports would disappear. Everyone would ride the champ, and the other 31 teams would make 0 money. The loyalty of die-hards is what keeps the whole thing going. Bandwagons come and go.

Of course, bandwagons do incentivize teams to be successful. They help take a stadium that would normally be 70% capacity and fill it to 100%. They buy tons of merch to show off their sudden fandom.

So in a way, they're necessary as well.

I just don't respect people who disappear when you lost your job, but show up with hands out when your balling. Is what it is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:56 AM)wcu Wrote: I suppose that makes me an '88 bandwagon fan, so I don't have much room to talk.

However, I take it that most of us see our long suffering fandom as a badge of honor and now our day has finally come.  We were the Bengals fans when there were no Bengals fans, but now it's time to reap the glory and everyone wants in on it.  A very "Little Red Hen" scenario.  

That said, if it builds the momentum and somehow contributes to our continued success, the more the merrier.

^This

More fans means more pressure on the FO and expectations going forward.

Bring them on! Who Dey 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with it. Being more popular will likely make sports stores in AZ actually have to carry some Bengals merchandise. I can never find anything.
Reply/Quote
Been a Bengals fan since day one when I didn't even know names of players, positions or what they were actually doing other than being on TV most Sundays in the fall.. The first name I remember remembering was Virgil Carter..Horst Muelman then the Boobie.. 

YOU'RE ALL BANDWAGON FANS.. GET OFF MY LAWN!   Tongue   Hey, do these pants make my ass look fat? Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Anyone remember the old board where you couldn't be a real fan unless you spent a shit ton of money buying crap from the pro shop? I thought that was funny..
Hey, if you join the ranks and survive the hard times sure to come again and STILL wanna stay a fan.. Well, you're probably crazier than a shithouse rat, but I'll welcome you.. lol

~proud member of the official Cincinnati Bengals shithouse rat club..  Who Dey Who Dey Tiger
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I wish LeBron would go away. After leaving Cleveland twice I don’t think we need his support

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I became a Bengal fan in 1971 because of Johnny Bench and a NFL magazine that informed me that this football team existed. I was in northern CA and never met another Bengal fan until I was 26 in the second super bowl run. I was a senior in high school during the 1981 run and was surrounded by 49er fans who I’m sure were Raider fans until that year but came screaming out of the freaking woodworks somehow. I’ve been a lonely Bengal fan my whole life and welcome all fans, new or otherwise. Whodey!!
Reply/Quote
I ignore them.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:37 PM)M.W. Wrote: I set up a road block on a busy road near the sport bars.  Nobody gets through with Bengals attire unless they can answer this question:

Who was Jeff Blake's two best WRs while playing for the Bengals?

Follow up question - and which college did Jeff Blake attend?

If they get it wrong I key their car and knock a tail light out.

Who is Jeff Blake?

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 08:40 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I'm fine with it. Being more popular will likely make sports stores in AZ actually have to carry some Bengals merchandise. I can never find anything.

We will know the bandwagon is filling up if you can purchase Bengals gear in Australia.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:25 PM)Benton Wrote: Who is Jeff Blake?

Mellow

He is my neighbors brother.  Guy can handle some serious beers and still drive a golf cart.  He was the West Virginia state corn hole champion before con hole was even popular.  Good dude.
Reply/Quote
there are a lot of bandwagonners from the south (LSU) that keep saying geaux bengals, etc. I welcome them. I only get irritated when they question how I want to be a fan after watching the bengals for 35 years. they have no clue what it's like to be a fan of losers.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 08:21 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: ^This

More fans means more pressure on the FO and expectations going forward.

Bring them on! Who Dey 

X2

I don't mind em at all. Most of the time I'll just play dumb and say "Boomer who? " never heard of him.
Reply/Quote