Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
So how do we fix the defense for next season?
The corner play has been really bad this season..D.J turner seems to get beat on the same route every single week, none of the corners can seem to get a jam off los and be more competitive within the routes and when they do try it they fail miserably..I never thought I would say this but I truly miss Eli apple lol,at least he would get a bump and run step for step with receivers and even if he got beat he would surely make the tackle..

These corners are playing to soft far too often for this to even be a functioning unit and that's just the truth, I d.j Ivey should've been getting reps and soon as he started getting them he was injured which stinks..The secondary coach has to coach these guys better from a technique standpoint, every crossing ends up in a catch run touchdown and it's like nothings getting done to be better against those routes..
Reply/Quote
Pittsburgh has shown that having an elite DL makes the defensive backfield not as important. I say, short of firing Lou and hiring a defensive genius, we go all in on the DL. Pay whatever, trade whatever to get elite people on the DL. Trade our first rounder for Myles Garrett (I know Cleveland wouldn't even answer the phone even without their own first rounder available to them but can you imagine ...?)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
First off you need to just admit the defense is awful. It can't be blamed on the offense or on losing 2 safeties - it is a BAD defense that has creating turnovers as almost its only upshot. They cannot stop either the run or the pass with consistency. So what is making it so bad? To fix it you need to diagnose the issues. Well...

First off the DL does not generate pressure consistently and ESPECIALLY has problems with interior pass rush. Whether it be via an unlikely free agent coup (Chris Jones) or draft picks that work there HAS to be interior pressure to compliment Trey.

Second, a lot of the run game issues go to inability to seal the edges. This is the weakness in Trey's game and hopefully he can improve his side but the other side also has to improve. Usually Hubbard was good at this but had issues this year - we need Murphy to be ready to if necessary take this spot is he can show he can seal the edge - otherwise we're looking for DE again.

Third, the DL rotation right now is problematic in that the drop-off from starters to backups is TOO big. Especially on the inside we need a big, powerful rotational NT.

The passing game issues really seem linked to answering the question "Why are receivers constantly WIDE open against this defense"? Lou likes zone and zone can work very well IF the players in it are smart and read the flow of the play and react to it. The current group seemingly cannot read stuff fast enough and so they don't react and receivers easily sit in the edges between the zones. So either these kids have to learn how to play in zone smartly or the system has to change to support what they do well. As this group has a lot of speed maybe we need to use more tight man coverage concepts for now?

However we go there are no simple answers for the issues but part of being a great team is you figure issues out - this will be the test of the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 12:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm going to strongly disagree on Starting 3T needing addressed this offseason.  By all accounts, BJ Hill is having a very good year at 3T.  He has 2 INT, 5 PDs, 1 FR, 4 Sacks, 44 tackles, and 18 QB hits with at least 2 more games to play this year.  It would be so very expensive to add an experienced vet with a stat line better than that one.  Hill is under contract through next season, after which he'll turn 30.  I know that the Bengals don't typically extend contracts to players aged 30 and above, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them extend his current deal by a year or two this offseason.

Starting NT absolutely needs to be addressed, I would guess that they both sign a competent veteran, as well as invest a 2-4 round draft selection on a rookie to develop.

Not sure about the rest of what you are proposing, as both LBs were signed to nice deals last offseason and the Safety position has already been addressed and is in the process of developing a young duo.

I could see an argument for keeping BJ as a starting DT but at the same time we need more explosive plays from him in the running game. Only 2 TFLs this season is bad for a starting 3T. He is a solid player but we need more than Solid!

Germaine Pratt is more of a 2 down player. We need a Nickle LB for 3rd downs and other passing situations. Hell the solution could be  resigning  ADG and using him on passing downs like we did in 2022.

As for Safties I think they should move Dax to Nickleback and find a true center field FS. Dax is at his best around the line of scrimmage in run defense and as a pass blitzer I would like to see him used more like Kyle Hamilton.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 12:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There's 31 other teams in the NFL that would love to have him. Only here is he blasted because the defense is young. 

The D has been bottom half of the league every year but one over the last 5 years. Can’t use youth as an excuse for all of those years.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 03:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: First off you need to just admit the defense is awful. It can't be blamed on the offense or on losing 2 safeties - it is a BAD defense that has creating turnovers as almost its only upshot. They cannot stop either the run or the pass with consistency. So what is making it so bad? To fix it you need to diagnose the issues. Well...

First off the DL does not generate pressure consistently and ESPECIALLY has problems with interior pass rush. Whether it be via an unlikely free agent coup (Chris Jones) or draft picks that work there HAS to be interior pressure to compliment Trey.

Second, a lot of the run game issues go to inability to seal the edges. This is the weakness in Trey's game and hopefully he can improve his side but the other side also has to improve. Usually Hubbard was good at this but had issues this year - we need Murphy to be ready to if necessary take this spot is he can show he can seal the edge - otherwise we're looking for DE again.

Third, the DL rotation right now is problematic in that the drop-off from starters to backups is TOO big. Especially on the inside we need a big, powerful rotational NT.

The passing game issues really seem linked to answering the question "Why are receivers constantly WIDE open against this defense"? Lou likes zone and zone can work very well IF the players in it are smart and read the flow of the play and react to it. The current group seemingly cannot read stuff fast enough and so they don't react and receivers easily sit in the edges between the zones. So either these kids have to learn how to play in zone smartly or the system has to change to support what they do well. As this group has a lot of speed maybe we need to use more tight man coverage concepts for now?

However we go there are no simple answers for the issues but part of being a great team is you figure issues out - this will be the test of the Bengals.

Nice post Joelist, agree with everything you say here. Bringing in Chris Jones and drafting Newton or Sweat for our NT would be some
nice moves that would really help this Defense. I don't think we are going to move on from Lou so that is a moot point. The youth in the
Secondary makes me think they can grow and be much better in Zone as they age. The LB play honestly has been a huge disappointment
in my eyes as both were playing pretty fantastic last season and we just paid them.

But Pratt and Logan are vets and I think with an improved front in front of them they should get back to their good play again.
Reply/Quote
Thanks!

Of all these I think the biggest issue may be the constant dumb errors in the secondary. Because of them the D can't even handle third and long reliably. If these young speedsters can't figure out how to play zone with some smarts then either they have to be replaced with smarter players or we have to simplify the system into something they CAN execute.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 07:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: Thanks!

Of all these I think the biggest issue may be the constant dumb errors in the secondary. Because of them the D can't even handle third and long reliably. If these young speedsters can't figure out how to play zone with some smarts then either they have to be replaced with smarter players or we have to simplify the system into something they CAN execute.

YW, well said once again. We all have seen it time and time again with young players struggling and then figuring it out with time.

In the meantime Lou might want to do what you say here and simplify the Defense and play more Man instead of Zone if they continue to struggle.
Reply/Quote
I hate to be doom and gloom and hope the Bengals can upset but I just don't see it with this garbage defense, hope I'm wrong but this defense has already made Beathard, Mullens and Rudolph look elite
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
I like you, Trademark, but I’m afraid I must disagree. Last week the defense was ugly; I mean ugly! It didn’t even have a nice personality. I’ve seen train wrecks with less blood.

However, it’s a new week with a very familiar yet weakened offense. Patrick Mahomes is running for his life in the pocket and Mr. Travis Swift is going emo on the sidelines. Andy Reid is distracted over his newfound prime donne* on offense. It’s time to smash the Chiefs.

The statistics from the Pissburgh game were skewed for one reason: The Steelers gained much of their offensive yardage on just two plays. The reason is simple yet ugly: The secondary was not playing deep enough. Period. Lou Anarumo excels at teaching the secondary to keep the receivers in front of them but against Pissburgh they failed miserably.

This is completely fixable and having Cam Taylor-Britt back on the field will be a huge advantage.

*Italian plural for “prima donna.”
Reply/Quote
Public Service Announcement:

If one hates to be doom and gloom, then don't/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Well there's been a lot of talk around here about how we are built to beat the Bills, Jags, and Chiefs but not the AFC North, so we'll see if that bears fruit this weekend. Sure would be nice to get a win and prolong our season!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 10:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like you, Trademark, but I’m afraid I must disagree. Last week the defense was ugly; I mean ugly! It didn’t even have a nice personality. I’ve seen train wrecks with less blood.

However, it’s a new week with a very familiar yet weakened offense. Patrick Mahomes is running for his life in the pocket and Mr. Travis Swift is going emo on the sidelines. Andy Reid is distracting over his newfound prime donne* on offense. It’s time to smash the Chiefs.

The statistics from the Pissburgh game were skewed for one reason: The Steelers gained much of their offensive yardage on just two plays. The reason is simple yet ugly: The secondary was not playing deep enough. Period. Lou Anarumo excels at teaching the secondary to keep the receivers in front of them but against Pissburgh they failed miserably.

This is completely fixable and having Cam Taylor-Britt back on the field will be a huge advantage.

Oh, I didn't know CTB was back. That could change everything, hopefully Chase is back too
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 10:06 PM)Trademark Wrote: I hate to be doom and gloom and hope the Bengals can upset but I just don't see it with this garbage defense, hope I'm wrong but this defense has already made Beathard, Mullens and Rudolph look elite

[Image: giphy.gif]

Anyway, getting CTB back could be a big boost for the defense.

Reply/Quote
We should Blitz Mahomes early and often. Let's contain Kelcie and see if his WR can beat us.

Easier said than done of course.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 10:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I like you, Trademark, but I’m afraid I must disagree.  Last week the defense was ugly; I mean ugly!  It didn’t even have a nice personality.  I’ve seen train wrecks with less blood.

However, it’s a new week with a very familiar yet weakened offense.  Patrick Mahomes is running for his life in the pocket and Mr. Travis Swift is going emo on the sidelines.  Andy Reid is distracting over his newfound prime donne* on offense.  It’s time to smash the Chiefs.

The statistics from the Pissburgh game were skewed for one reason: The Steelers gained much of their offensive yardage on just two plays.  The reason is simple yet ugly: The secondary was not playing deep enough.  Period.  Lou Anarumo excels at teaching the secondary to keep the receivers in front of them but against Pissburgh they failed miserably.

That's not really the reason, no. The first TD was an awful angle by Dax coming from center field. Cincinnati came out in cover 3 and Rudolph threw the slant with anticipation before Pickens broke off his route. Great play by him. Dax also saw the ball being thrown and started coming downhill. However, he took a bad angle and allowed Pickens room to the middle of the field, which he cut back into. Dax ran into DJ Turner, taking him out and that was it. Touchdown Steelers.

The second touchdown was cover 1 with pressure being sent. Battle was the center fielder. Pittsburgh picked up the pressure and Pickens just beat Chidobe. Fantastic ball from Rudolph, savvy push-off from Pickens and Battle was late getting over there because he geared down and stopped running for a moment. That play is probably not a touchdown if Battle runs through the end of it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 11:55 PM)QueenCity Wrote: We should Blitz Mahomes early and often. Let's contain Kelcie and see if his WR can beat us.

I want to see Hilton sent in at least 5 times in the first quarter.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 11:55 PM)QueenCity Wrote: We should Blitz Mahomes early and often. Let's contain Kelcie and see if his WR can beat us.

(12-27-2023, 12:14 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I want to see Hilton sent in at least 5 times in the first quarter.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Mahomes is great vs the blitz. His tackles have been awful, not sure we need to blitz too much. Remember it is the drop 8 that gives KC problems, even when they had Tyreek.

Also this:

Next Gen Stats show that Kansas City Chiefs quarterback has posted a higher career passer rating (116.5) when facing 5+ pass rushers than he has against 4 or fewer pass rushers (109.0).

Reply/Quote
Chiefs WR's are dropping balls left and right. Even Kelce was too against the Raiders. Would be helpful for that trend to continue.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
A person claiming to be a time traveler from the future could tell me Jake Browning led us to a 27 - 3 victory or the Chiefs ran all over us en route to a 35 -10 beat down and I would have no idea if they were lying either way.

Though...the latter is more likely. If you can't stop the run then you will lose. Unless maybe both teams can't stop the run.

Reply/Quote