Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So is Alex Erickson a lock now?
I watched the press conference of Marvin Lewis and someone asked about Alex Erickson, Marvin said something about Erickson making plays game after game whenever he's been given the chance.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Lewis-Postgame-News-Conference-828/a7836df1-531b-4f4f-9256-26d25be2132f

Is Alex Erickson a lock to make the team now? He's had some decent returns when he's been given the chance and has made some nice catches every now and then.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
There is absolutely no way you could stash him on the practice squad. He would get picked up in a heartbeat. Question is, who does he push off the active roster? Tate? Wright?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 10:55 AM)NKYRob Wrote: There is absolutely no way you could stash him on the practice squad.  He would get picked up in a heartbeat. Question is, who does he push off the active roster? Tate? Wright?

I wonder if Wright now makes it as well (or we even carry 7 WR) with Peerman down.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 10:55 AM)NKYRob Wrote: There is absolutely no way you could stash him on the practice squad. He would get picked up in a heartbeat. Question is, who does he push off the active roster? Tate? Wright?

If it was up to me... Tate.

But of course, not..

So idk, I'd think it'd have to be Wright.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I think Peerman's injury opened the door more for Wright than anyone else.

Erickson hurt himself last night when he misjudged that punt and let it roll for about 50 yards

I think LaFell not stepping up has helped Tate as much as anything.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would hope he makes the team as the 6th WR.......I think he has earned the spot with both his WR and KR/PR skills......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I think the wrs will be AJ, Boyd, Lafell, Core, Tate and Erickson. However I agree that the injury to Peerman could help to keep Wright on the team for special teams. I think they will put Alford on the practice squad because he has not had a chance to show what he can do due to his injury. Also I think they need to let Kumerow go because he does not show up in games but is more of a practice warrior.
Reply/Quote
LaFell hasn't shown shit so far, while the rooks have shown they have come to play. If I were picking the 6, it would be AJ and Tate, Boyd, Core, Wright and Erickson. Boyd and Core are ready. Wright seems to be healthy enough to be used sparingly. Erickson can flat out ball....
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 11:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: LaFell hasn't shown shit so far, while the rooks have shown they have come to play. If I were picking the 6, it would be AJ and Tate, Boyd, Core, Wright and Erickson. Boyd and Core are ready. Wright seems to be healthy enough to be used sparingly. Erickson can flat out ball....

"Shown it" or not he has real life game reps the rookies don't.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 11:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: "Shown it" or not he has real life game reps the rookies don't.

Yeah, but this is football which is "What have you done lately" that counts.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 11:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, but this is football which is "What have you done lately" that counts.

if I had to guess LaFell will catch 50-70 balls for 600-800 yards and 7ish scores.  Reason for the large range depends on how Boyd progresses As a WR.

Lafell will serve his purpose here as our 2nd 3rd WR by seasons end
Reply/Quote
1. Green
2. LaFell
3. Boyd - R
4. Core - R
5. Erickson - R
6. Wright
7. Tate

If they keep 7 then Tate will stick, if they choose to keep 6 then Tate will be released. All depends on whether they go with 6 or 7.  Would not be surprised to see them keep 7 b/c (3 of the 7 would be rookies and Tate at least has some experience).

My guess is Alford is the one who gets cut or sent to PS b/c of Erickson.
Reply/Quote
He leads the team in TDs and yards per return on kickoffs and punts in the preseason. Granted it was only one KO return and 4 punt returns, but he knows how to read his blocks and hits his seams with some nice burst. This is related to his ability to get open in the passing game. I'd say he's a lock, provided that he doesn't fall apart in Indy.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 11:17 AM)bengalsfan73 Wrote: I think the wrs will be AJ, Boyd, Lafell, Core, Tate and Erickson. However I agree that the injury to Peerman could help to keep Wright on the team for special teams. I think they will put Alford on the practice squad because he has not had a chance to show what he can do due to his injury. Also I think they need to let Kumerow go because he does not show up in games but is more of a practice warrior.

Agree, those would be my picks aw well.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 10:50 AM)milksheikh Wrote: I watched the press conference of Marvin Lewis and someone asked about Alex Erickson, Marvin said something about Erickson making plays game after game whenever he's been given the chance.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Lewis-Postgame-News-Conference-828/a7836df1-531b-4f4f-9256-26d25be2132f

Is Alex Erickson a lock to make the team now? He's had some decent returns when he's been given the chance and has made some nice catches every now and then.

He wont make it to the PS, he'll get an offer on another teams 53 man. He's made one hell of a case to be on one, and teams hungry for WR depth will go for him.  He's a younger, cheaper version of Tate, and debatably better. You either keep him on the 53 or say goodbye.

I've never been the biggest Tate fan, I cant get too behind a player who's only value resides on special teams, but I respect the way he solidified the PR/KR duties. Sometimes he made some boneheaded returns, but he's always been reliable. I think its time to move in a new direction, and I've seen enough of Alex to lead me to believe he can easily replace Tate on special teams.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm a believer. Wright is on the bubble imo. They won't cut Tate. He is too durable and that is one thing that Erickson will have to prove still.
Reply/Quote
I don't see any harm keeping him on the squad. He made a mistake last night not fielding a punt, but he's stepped in and produced just about every time he's seen the field. Like some have mentioned already, injuries have secured him a spot.

WHO DEY!!!
Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 10:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: I wonder if Wright now makes it as well (or we even carry 7 WR) with Peerman down.

This very well might be the solution to losing peerman... Erikson makes WR 6  Wright as the STs guy replacing peerman 

I could see that happening...  Role with 3 RBs and 2 on the PS just in case.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:14 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: He wont make it to the PS, he'll get an offer on another teams 53 man. He's made one hell of a case to be on one, and teams hungry for WR depth will go for him.  He's a younger, cheaper version of Tate, and debatably better. You either keep him on the 53 or say goodbye.

I've never been the biggest Tate fan, I cant get too behind a player who's only value resides on special teams, but I respect the way he solidified the PR/KR duties. Sometimes he made some boneheaded returns, but he's always been reliable. I think its time to move in a new direction, and I've seen enough of Alex to lead me to believe he can easily replace Tate on special teams.

Maybe so...  But I don't think it knocks tate of the roster.. As he has been looking pretty good at WR this preseason
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 11:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: LaFell hasn't shown shit so far, while the rooks have shown they have come to play. If I were picking the 6, it would be AJ and Tate, Boyd, Core, Wright and Erickson. Boyd and Core are ready. Wright seems to be healthy enough to be used sparingly. Erickson can flat out ball....

I was surprised they were not targeting LaFell often while Dalton was in the game last night.  If I am Marvin, and the way this preseason is going, last night was the last chance they have at game experience before opening day.  The last preseason game, I don't even have Dalton dress and maybe not even get on the bus.
Reply/Quote