Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...was Marvin holding Ross back?
(09-08-2019, 09:54 PM)jason Wrote: I think / hope that we saw a young man getting outta his head, and playing football today. Still had a couple drops, but damn... I've criticized the guy quite a bit, and hated the pick, but if this is a sign of things to come...

He did have 2 drops at the beginning of the game and had old Marv still been here he would have sat him down for the game and put Core in. New coach lets him play through it.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is impossible to say.  Ross may have just worked himself through his problems and would have flourished under Marvin this year.

And if you want to give all the credit to Zac then you lo have to give him all the blame for our running game.  Mixon sure looked better when Marvin was coach.

I don't think anyone was running on Seattle today if Jesus himself was the coach.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:56 PM)NKURyan Wrote: He always struck me as a guy who just desperately needed some confidence. Hopefully this game gives it to him. I think the fact that he bounced back from that one easy drop on the sideline with the huge TD before the half was a giant step and hopefully shows him what he is capable of.

I really do hope this is the case.

The fact that Andy trusted him, and showed that faith, could really lead to something special in the long run.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:44 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I think I know where this thread will go (someone light the Fred signal), but I *think* I'll give Marvin a bit of a pass on this one.

I expected Ross to play a lot better under a new offensive staff, but I thought it would be more through being used on bubble screens, crossing routes, and things like that which he wasn't necessarily getting under Zampese/Lazor. I don't think they necessarily called the game for Ross much differently, he was just a better player and was able to take advantage of it.

Some stuff was definitely different.  His first TD, he actually ran a wheel route out of jet sweep pre snap movement.  His second was an out and up which is also not something he did a lot of previously.  
Reply/Quote
I think I saw more open receivers today than the last three years combined.

Excellent use of Eifert today too, while keeping him kind of out of harm's way too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Adam Archuleta, the color commentator, said it best about John Ross: “When this kid learns to catch the ball consistently he’s going to be something special.”
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:01 PM)McC Wrote: I think I saw more open receivers today than the last three years combined.

Excellent use of Eifert today too, while keeping him kind of out of harm's way too.

I can easily say this was one of the best loses I've ever experienced as a looooooong time Bengal fan. There's hope now
Reply/Quote
ZT did a great job is giving Ross more routes
To run out of the route tree.
Wheel routes, comeback routes
Ross had the Hawks CBers playing so much
Cushion at one point
After Ross dropped that one pass..ZT went
Right back to him.
Marvin would have benched him...yet keep Cody Core
In the game
Reply/Quote
Marvin got us back to respectability, let's hope Zac can get us to the promise land. Even in a loss today, things seemed different. Hope it's the start of something big.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:07 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Marvin got us back to respectability, let's hope Zac can get us to the promise land. Even in a loss today, things seemed different. Hope it's the start of something big.

Things were different. Marvin never lost to Seattle. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The fact that Taylor went for the kill with 52 seconds in the half and scored, where Marvin would have taken a knee is all I needed to see today. Encouraging game, a loss but encouraging.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well it's interesting and I'm not going to crap on the notion.

Yet I'm gonna reserve my opinion to more than one game about both ZT and Ross.

Kind of hard to make assumptions from such a small sample.

Granted I don't need 16 frickin' years!  LMAO

Absolutely fair. It's only one game and we need more proof.

But the fact that Taylor's first game results in career days for Dalton and Ross says as much as 1 game can say.

(09-08-2019, 09:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is impossible to say.  Ross may have just worked himself through his problems and would have flourished under Marvin this year.

And if you want to give all the credit to Zac then you lo have to give him all the blame for our running game.  Mixon sure looked better when Marvin was coach.

Yeah but lets be real. You saw the ways Ross was used. Marvin wasn't using him those ways. Also, Marv most likely would've given up on him after a couple drops. You have to let the guy build some confidence. As for the run game, yeah it was abysmal. This thread isn't about the run game though.

(09-08-2019, 10:01 PM)McC Wrote: I think I saw more open receivers today than the last three years combined.

Yes sir, and that was a huge problem in the past. If this keeps up, I see a lot of career years for guys in the passing game. I also have wondered if some of the "bad Andy" games happened in large part because guys weren't getting open. So I'll be keeping a close eye on that through the year. Andy has usually been good for 4+ clunkers a year. That may be a thing of the past.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Things were different. Marvin never lost to Seattle. 

Yea...Now if Marvin could only have beat the Steelers more on a regular basis, he might still be head coach. Let's see how Zac does in our own division. Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Marvin is gone.

I didn't intend for this to be a bash Marv thread, although that's a byproduct.

It's more of an "I'm excited about the future" thread.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Ross looked different. Like he was apart of the offense, and not being forced in it (because he was a high pick and had to play). You can tell he was a big part of the gameplan, but it didn't feel as forced as it was under Marvin.

Drops aside, Ross looked like a receiver out there not just a gadget player. Hopefully he's turned the corner. It was good to see.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Ross was in favorable matchups against LB's which is what you want. But, he actually made some plays that he may not have made last year.

Maybe not practicing much or playing in preseason helped him in a weird way?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Things were different. Marvin never lost to Seattle. 

Let's see--play Seattle once every four years...play Steelers twice every year...

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:48 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Fleaflicker was also a great play design.

It was, but tbf Marvin did let his OCs get fancy once in awhile. Remember all the Sanu passes? And Hue was TOO damn cute at times.

But yeah, hard to argue with results. Dalton and Ross both with career days against a good defense in a top 2-3 toughest stadium to play in...

Very encouraging.

I said it during the game day thread, but that was the best the passing game has ever looked without AJ. Dalton was spreading the ball around to everyone. Now we just need to get Eifert going...

Reply/Quote
This game was totally winnable. It's ok to lose it this year with a new HC...but, IF we're still losing games like this in Year 2, 3, etc...then it's not acceptable.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm looking for improvement over time.
Reply/Quote

LOL

He did, in 2007 Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote