Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...was Marvin holding Ross back?
(09-08-2019, 10:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ross looked different. Like he was apart of the offense, and not being forced in it (because he was a high pick and had to play). You can tell he was a big part of the gameplan, but it didn't feel as forced as it was under Marvin.

Drops aside, Ross looked like a receiver out there not just a gadget player.  Hopefully he's turned the corner. It was good to see.

Yup  :andy:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: All it took was 1 game without Marvin - with an offensive minded HC - for Ross and Dalton to have career days. Does anyone on here still question the impact of coaching and schemes? Sure, we've got a long ways to go, but that was a pretty incredible start. Ross looked like the guy we thought we were drafting. Dalton could be headed for a career year. Amazing that they did this against a top defense on the road, with no AJ Green and no run game.

Marvin held the whole team back. I agree with all you said, but hell, look at the defense too. People said Lou was a turd, looked like a different unit out there today, with the same players.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This game was totally winnable. It's ok to lose it this year with a new HC...but, IF we're still losing games like this in Year 2, 3, etc...then it's not acceptable. 

I guess what I'm saying is I'm looking for improvement over time.

That's what I am saying. I was just hoping to not get embarrassed, but the Bengals had a legitimate chance to win. I want to see improvements to things they do wrong. Just wondering how far we can get with this O-line. Saw a lot of scary things that didn't get air play because the ball came out fast and Dalton didn't die. Will likely need another off season to have the line addressed.
Reply/Quote
The announcers said the coaching staff has had to slow Ross down in practice. They've actually implemented a "tempo clock" for him according to their interview with Zac. Stale ass Merv wasn't that creative. They needed him to play within the system, then use his speed and quickness after the catch.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't intend for this to be a bash Marv thread, although that's a byproduct.

It's more of an "I'm excited about the future" thread.

The Militia is still testy tho...... Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Marvin held the whole team back. I agree with all you said, but hell, look at the defense too. People said Lou was a turd, looked like a different unit out there today, with the same players.

The defense did have a good day.  Take out about five plays, it's an outstanding day.  Five is a number that can be coached away.  This is square one.  Can't wait to see square two.  Nobody expected shit out of the defense.  And that was no chump coach across the field and that was no chump QB on the field.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:42 PM)McC Wrote: The defense did have a good day.  Take out about five plays, it's an outstanding day.  Five is a number that can be coached away.  This is square one.  Can't wait to see square two.  Nobody expected shit out of the defense.  And that was no chump coach across the field and that was no chump QB on the field.

Exactly. Look at game 1 last season vs game 1 this year. Even when we were winning, we were getting torched.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:47 PM)McC Wrote: Yes and no.  The one pass that he dropped, the one with the wide open sideline in from of him, that was a beautiful play design, the likes of which Zampese and Lazor could never have created.

It was, but he's only that open because the two Seahawks decided to play bumper cars. If the safety doesn't take out the CB there Ross is nowhere near as wide open as he was. He's still open, and gets some good yards, but it wouldn't of been a potential TD if those two didn't collide.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Marvin held the whole team back. I agree with all you said, but hell, look at the defense too. People said Lou was a turd, looked like a different unit out there today, with the same players.

I have to eat some early crow on Sweet Lou. Defense looked much improved.

(09-08-2019, 11:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: The Militia is still testy tho...... Ninja

Cool  Hilarious
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have to eat some early crow on Sweet Lou. Defense looked much improved.

Cool  Hilarious

I honestly didn't know what to expect out of him. Game 1 went smoother for the D than I thought it would. They played disciplined ball for the most part.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: The announcers said the coaching staff has had to slow Ross down in practice. They've actually implemented a "tempo clock" for him according to their interview with Zac. Stale ass Merv wasn't that creative. They needed him to play within the system, then use his speed and quickness after the catch.

It's been said many times by several people thru the years. The only players that excelled under Marvin were players that would excel anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:51 PM)Ravage Wrote: It was, but he's only that open because the two Seahawks decided to play bumper cars. If the safety doesn't take out the CB there Ross is nowhere near as wide open as he was. He's still open, and gets some good yards, but it wouldn't of been a potential TD if those two didn't collide.

True, but he's got some kind of quick feet on him and if it's one guy to beat, my money's on JR.  How about the little juke he put on the last guy on the flea flicker?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have to eat some early crow on Sweet Lou. Defense looked much improved.

Cool  Hilarious

The deer in the headlights D seems to be gone.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: I honestly didn't know what to expect out of him. Game 1 went smoother for the D than I thought it would. They played disciplined ball for the most part.

Against a good offense and a QB who can run.

(09-08-2019, 11:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The deer in the headlights D seems to be gone.

The deer in headlights coach is gone. Being honest though, I think our defensive struggles last year were due to a horrific match with Terryl Austin.

That was just an awful hire.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
ML wasnt holding Ross back, he was black balling him. ML didnt want that to be the pick and was forced to take him. He was going to get his revenge by saying Ross was garbage.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well it's interesting and I'm not going to crap on the notion.

Yet I'm gonna reserve my opinion to more than one game about both ZT and Ross.

Kind of hard to make assumptions from such a small sample.

Granted I don't need 16 frickin' years!  LMAO

A small sample that allowed Ross to almost double his production of 2 years in 1 game. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:50 PM)McC Wrote: It sure was.

And slightly off topic--did anyone but me think the one pass that was called incomplete and then denied on the challenge actually was a catch?

It looked to me like he got his hand under it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:07 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Against a good offense and a QB who can run.

The deer in headlights coach is gone. Being honest though, I think our defensive struggles last year were due to a horrific match with Terryl Austin. That was just an awful hire.

For sure
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Things were different. Marvin never lost to Seattle. 

Yeah he did. In 2007.

Reply/Quote
There were some good stuff by Ross (Bengals got lucky that S did a terrible jump on that TD) but the same problems also still plagued him as well.

Dropped pass wide open for a TD.
Penalty.
Ran at least one route incorrectly where Dalton was throwing to where he was supposed to be, and he wasn't there.

It does give a little confidence that he was showing some speed that I haven't seen from him on an actual football field, but I am going to hold off on crowning him fixed until I see the mistakes go away.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote