Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what now when it comes to the TE room?
(03-25-2023, 02:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I meant RG when referencing Carman and his 2021 play. The pff grade on him doesn’t tell the whole story. He was atrocious at pass protection

I don't even bother with PFF grades. By the numbers, he was def worse at RG. He's had his best production on the left side. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Getting the thread back on track, this is a TE thread after all. Really like the upside of Josh Whyle in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Getting the thread back on track, this is a TE thread after all. Really like the upside of Josh Whyle in the mid rounds.

If a TE is available that can do a good job blocking on the line and can get downfield with good hands, draft him early. Drew Sample could be re-signed as well then add one later in the draft if needed. I really like nailing down offensive players long term for Joe and that includes TE if the talent is there.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:30 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: how is Carman hurting the roster? When he couldnt beat out Adeniji. When he couldnt beat out a mediocre Volson.

and now the bengals would like Jonah to play RT.

and they signed Brown to play LT even with Carman's playoff performance

JC's going into his 3rd year and is still a back up right now

I've come to the following determination with draft picks over the years - A 1st rounder should be starting by some point in their 2nd year. A 2nd rounder should be starting some point by their 3rd year. A 3rd rounder by some point in their 4th year. Day 3 picks it's a pure luxury if they ever start.
Carman just finished his 2nd year, so I don't personally have an expectation that he should be starting quite yet. I do expect him to be starting sometime before the end of this year, otherwise that's a disappointment to me.

Naturally they Bengals are going to pick Orlando Brown at LT over Carman if they had the ability to, which they did.
RT they said Carman is in the mix.

As for getting beat out by Adeniji and Volson, I am surprised he got beat out by Adeniji as a rookie, although it could have been something consistency-related or effort-related, not necessarily skill-related. Ultimately though, I think he's better suited outside than at OG.

I'm waiting until this coming year is over to make a judgement on Carman, personally.
I can understand some may expect/want draft picks to contribute faster though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Getting the thread back on track, this is a TE thread after all. Really like the upside of Josh Whyle in the mid rounds.

Would love to see him stick around town with the Bengals. 

Even if the team goes after a TE in the early rounds, would be nice to double dip on the position and pick him up in the mid rounds.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Believe not only was Jonah's feelings hurt but think he is worried that he would have to beat Carman out as well.

Would cost him a lot of cash if lost that battle.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 11:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe not only was Jonah's feelings hurt but think he is worried that he would have to beat Carman out as well.

Would cost him a lot of cash if lost that battle.

I don't pretend to know what Jonah is thinking but I sure hope he isn't afraid to compete to win a starting job.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 09:38 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't pretend to know what Jonah is thinking but I sure hope he isn't afraid to compete to win a starting job.

Just speculating per his immediate trade demand. Maybe he just isn't a team player and being selfish though. 

Yet obviously I know not what Jonah is thinking other than he seemed happy before Brown was added and that immediately changed. 

He played hurt so maybe he thought he was owed more loyalty as well. Yet he is disgruntled now, so time to move on.

It's a shame as well per I liked the guy. Don't like the idea of the Bengals holding him hostage another year because do not think he will have his whole heart into it at this juncture and will probably concentrate on making sure he is healthy for his next team and contract. 

He has earned the right to demand a trade if he wants imo.  It is what it is and the Bengals already spilled the milk with the Brown signing and the guarantee of him playing LT. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 10:55 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Just speculating per his immediate trade demand. Maybe he just isn't a team player and being selfish though. 

Yet obviously I know not what Jonah is thinking other than he seemed happy before Brown was added and that immediately changed. 

He played hurt so maybe he thought he was owed more loyalty as well. Yet he is disgruntled now, so time to move on.

It's a shame as well per I liked the guy. Don't like the idea of the Bengals holding him hostage another year because do not think he will have his whole heart into it at this juncture and will probably concentrate on making sure he is healthy for his next team and contract. 

He has earned the right to demand a trade if he wants imo.  It is what it is and the Bengals already spilled the milk with the Brown signing and the guarantee of him playing LT. 

I didn't intend to imply you were suggesting you know what Jonah is thinking, my bad if I did. I was spring boarding off your post to offer I hope Jonah is willing to compete and earn a starting spot. He's been good with the Bengals and often hurt, but not stellar. I'm a bit surprised about his request because he's not making it from a position of strength. He has earned the right and I'm hopeful a deal happens that works out for both the Bengals and Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 10:55 AM)Go Cards Wrote: ****

You would think Jonah would put his whole heart into playing, if kept on the Bengals to play RT, because the better he does, the better his value as a free agent. After becoming rather well-known last year for how many sacks he was giving up, he needs a solid year to prove himself -- whatever position he plays at. 
Reply/Quote
Draft 1 post draft cut pickup for another if more than 1 is needed
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 05:28 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: If a TE is available that can do a good job blocking on the line and can get downfield with good hands, draft him early. Drew Sample could be re-signed as well then add one later in the draft if needed.  I really like nailing down offensive players long term for Joe and that includes TE if the talent is there.

Darnell Washington or LaPorta early and Whyle mid rounds would make me feel better than bringing back Drew.

(03-26-2023, 10:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Would love to see him stick around town with the Bengals. 

Even if the team goes after a TE in the early rounds, would be nice to double dip on the position and pick him up in the mid rounds.

Need to make a weak position strong. Double dipping in a strong TE draft class could do it.

Still want a RT, but I don't know if that is what the Bengals are thinking. They might really like Carman at RT and think LC is 
coming back sooner than we do.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2023, 08:56 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Draft.... that is our last option. Bengals sat on their hands or banked on Moerau in FA

I don’t think hosting a guy twice and being in the running with a guys hometown team until the end and only losing out because he got literal cancer is “sitting on your hands”
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Josh Oliver was signed fast and for a nice contract only Hayden Hurst got a better contract.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 04:01 PM)Housh Wrote: I don’t think hosting a guy twice and being in the running with a guys hometown team until the end and only losing out because he got literal cancer is “sitting on your hands”

Moreau might not be completely out of the picture, either.  I think someone posted earlier in this very thread, about another athlete who was discovered to have had the same affliction, and he was able to get treatment and return to his sport in a very short period of time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 11:17 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I didn't intend to imply you were suggesting you know what Jonah is thinking, my bad if I did. I was spring boarding off your post to offer I hope Jonah is willing to compete and earn a starting spot. He's been good with the Bengals and often hurt, but not stellar. I'm a bit surprised about his request because he's not making it from a position of strength. He has earned the right and I'm hopeful a deal happens that works out for both the Bengals and Jonah.

don't sweat it, I appreciate all views and doesn't hurt to be put in check when needed and I often need it. 

Agree and believe you're 100% correct that the Bengals hold all the cards now and Jonah is not in a position of strength at all in this situation.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 11:26 AM)Nepa Wrote: You would think Jonah would put his whole heart into playing, if kept on the Bengals to play RT, because the better he does, the better his value as a free agent. After becoming rather well-known last year for how many sacks he was giving up, he needs a solid year to prove himself -- whatever position he plays at. 

It would seem that way and make sense, but believe he has a history of being good before the injuries and many teams probably were big on him coming out of college already. 

Think if he can prove his health then he will be courted by teams to be a LT once again. Yet you're correct that one would think he should want to play his best in a contract year and he quite possibly could as well.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 04:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Moreau might not be completely out of the picture, either.  I think someone posted earlier in this very thread, about another athlete who was discovered to have had the same affliction, and he was able to get treatment and return to his sport in a very short period of time.

He was signing with the Saints.  I don't believe they would do physicals complete with blood tests unless they had agreed to a deal.

I could be wrong though.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Darnell Washington or LaPorta early and Whyle mid rounds would make me feel better than bringing back Drew.

Need to make a weak position strong. Double dipping in a strong TE draft class could do it.

Still want a RT, but I don't know if that is what the Bengals are thinking. They might really like Carman at RT and think LC is 
coming back sooner than we do.

Looks like Drew Sample ain’t happening. Draft pick is next. I wouldnt mind a CB, Dline and RB or TE picks in first three rounds. Building a defense that gets to the QB and pass defenses is winning football in the JB era.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 02:20 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Looks like Drew Sample ain’t happening. Draft pick is next. I wouldnt mind a CB, Dline and RB or TE picks in first three rounds. Building a defense that gets to the QB and pass defenses is winning football in the JB era.

True, the Irv Smith pickup helps if he can stay healthy but that is a big if...

It is a great Draft for Corner and TE, we could get some talented ones after we go BPA at 28. Would be happy with a pass rusher at 28
at either Edge or 3-tech. Like you said, a guy that can get to the QB is what we need to add. Darnell Wright is still my hope, but there 
are lots of ways we could go to help the team. Bijan or Gibbs I would be fine with, I just really like Tyjae Spears who we could probably
get in the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote