Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what now when it comes to the TE room?
(03-24-2023, 08:53 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Don’t we still have Drew Sample. We traded up for the draft for him. He must be a stud.

Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 08:53 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Don’t we still have Drew Sample.  We traded up for the draft for him.  He must be a stud.

two 2nd round picks currently hurting this roster. Sample, and Carman
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: two 2nd round picks currently hurting this roster. Sample, and Carman

How is Sample currently hurting the roster>
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How is Sample currently hurting the roster>

well a young 2nd round TE should be the starting tight end. 

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: well a young 2nd round TE should be the starting tight end. 

I don't disagree, but Sample is a week away from being 27 and not on the roster. So I'm not following.. 

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: two 2nd round picks currently hurting this roster. Sample, and Carman

How is Carman hurting the roster?
He filled in admirably in the playoffs when Jonah went out. Allowed only 1 sack and 7 total pressures across 3 playoff games.
He just wasn't able to shift to OG. Not all OTs can.
Keep him at OT and see if he can grab the starting RT spot this year.
If not, he's a swing tackle for the next two years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Where do you come up with some of the stuff that you do? How is Jackson Carman hurting the Bengals roster?
Reply/Quote
So, hypothetically, let's say we go BPA in round one. Maybe a RT, maybe Bijan in the odd event that he falls to us, maybe a DB or pass rusher.

If this happens, who is the best TE that can be had in round two? Mayer and Washington are likely out. Can we still get Kincaid? LaPorta?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How is Carman hurting the roster?
He filled in admirably in the playoffs when Jonah went out. Allowed only 1 sack and 7 total pressures across 3 playoff games.
He just wasn't able to shift to OG. Not all OTs can.
Keep him at OT and see if he can grab the starting RT spot this year.
If not, he's a swing tackle for the next two years.

(03-24-2023, 10:12 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Where do you come up with some of the stuff that you do? How is Jackson Carman hurting the Bengals roster?

how is Carman hurting the roster? When he couldnt beat out Adeniji. When he couldnt beat out a mediocre Volson.

and now the bengals would like Jonah to play RT.

and they signed Brown to play LT even with Carman's playoff performance

JC's going into his 3rd year and is still a back up right now

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't disagree, but Sample is a week away from being 27 and not on the roster. So I'm not following.. 

well imagine if he wasnt a complete bust. Not his fault though, he shouldnt have been drafted in the 2nd round

but you expect to re-sign a 2nd round TE to a 2nd contract as a STARTER

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:32 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: well imagine if he wasnt a complete bust. Not his fault though, he shouldnt have been drafted in the 2nd round

but you expect to re-sign a 2nd round TE to a 2nd contract as a STARTER

So Bates is currently hurting the roster? 

You coulda just went with: "I forgot Sample is a FA"

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So Bates is currently hurting the roster? 

You coulda just went with: "I forgot Sample is a FA"

you agree with me though that we're not discussing drafting a tight end in the first 2 rounds if Sample actually played like a 2nd round TE should. And thats all Im really saying. He kinda stinks

we're also discussing free agent tight ends NOT named Sample

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you agree with me though that we're not discussing drafting a tight end in the first 2 rounds if Sample actually played like a 2nd round TE should. And thats all Im really saying. He kinda stinks

we're also discussing free agent tight ends NOT named Sample

You coulda just went with....

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You coulda just went with....

..your mom to prom?

Reply/Quote
People are being too hard on Sample, no one would be making a scene if he was a third round pick. I don't know if he is being used correctly, his blocking stats led the NFL his first season if I remember correctly which is why he was drafted. He could be very dangerous as an h-back.

I still think Mayer fits Burrows overall game personality, but Washington obviously has the edge in terms of athleticism. Both could be special. I go would go with Mayer because he seems to have that run and gun mentality that Burrow plays with.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 10:30 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: how is Carman hurting the roster? When he couldnt beat out Adeniji. When he couldnt beat out a mediocre Volson.

and now the bengals would like Jonah to play RT.

and they signed Brown to play LT even with Carman's playoff performance

JC's going into his 3rd year and is still a back up right now

He was a 20 year old kid when we drafted him and needed to do some maturing. It has been evidenced that this is happening. He is not a guard so this crap you are spewing about not beating out inside players is hysterical. Again, not everyone is built to play both inside and out in the NFL. His strength is obviously going to be at OT.

So where would the Bengals have been without his performance down the stretch? Were you complaining about him then?

They signed Brown because he is a dominant LT in the NFL and his run down the stretch when it mattered the most was awesome. It is hysterical that you would use an excellent move by the Bengals to upgrade the team as a way to downgrade one of their young players. 

The Bengals want Jonah to play RT because they are paying him over 12 mil this season.

Oh yeah...an NFL roster sucks without depth so yeah backups are critical. I sure as hell would feel pretty good having Carman on the bench for the Bengals if he is not starting.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 10:56 AM)OSUfan Wrote: He was a 20 year old kid when we drafted him and needed to do some maturing. It has been evidenced that this is happening. He is not a guard so this crap you are spewing about not beating out inside players is hysterical. Again, not everyone is built to play both inside and out in the NFL. His strength is obviously going to be at OT.

So where would the Bengals have been without his performance down the stretch? Were you complaining about him then?

They signed Brown because he is a dominant LT in the NFL and his run down the stretch when it mattered the most was awesome. It is hysterical that you would use an excellent move by the Bengals to upgrade the team as a way to downgrade one of their young players. 

The Bengals want Jonah to play RT because they are paying him over 12 mil this season.

Oh yeah...an NFL roster sucks without depth so yeah backups are critical. I sure as hell would feel pretty good having Carman on the bench for the Bengals if he is not starting.

Adeniji isnt an inside player either. He couldnt beat Adeniji

Brown is a dominant LT? This is news to me. I didnt know the 11th best LT is considered dominant

Carman is a 2nd rounder going into his 3rd year. He's not supposed to be a back up.

you're acting a bit hysterical. Relax
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:17 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Adeniji isnt an inside player either. He couldnt beat Adeniji

Brown is a dominant LT? This is news to me. I didnt know the 11th best LT is considered dominant

your love for Carman is "hysterical"

The performance Brown put on in the down the stretch and in the playoffs could be considered elite. Dominant players play their best when it matters the most and that is exactly what this young man did. You must also consider blocking for Mahommes. His drops are some of the deepest you are going to see in the NFL and he has really happy feet. Rather than moving up in the pocket Mahommes dances a bit and he is absolutely known for holding the ball for a very long time. These are all aspects that make it far harder on the offensive line to protect him and a very good reason you see his blockers being credited with many pressures.

So you avoided the question I posed. Were you complaining about the performance that Carman put up in the playoffs? It could be argued that his performance put the Bengals in position for another Super Bowl.

It is not a love I have for Carman rather an ability to look at a situation with perspective rather than just negativity.
Reply/Quote
Looking at numerous mock drafts I’m convinced they swap picks with Detroit @18 and throw in Jonah. It looks like both Darnell Wright (Tenn OT) could go @ 19 to the Bucs and Michael Mayer (ND TE) to LAC at 21. They can decide between them.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 10:56 AM)OSUfan Wrote: He was a 20 year old kid when we drafted him and needed to do some maturing. It has been evidenced that this is happening. He is not a guard so this crap you are spewing about not beating out inside players is hysterical. Again, not everyone is built to play both inside and out in the NFL. His strength is obviously going to be at OT.

I suppose that ideally, Jonah playing RT and playing it well is the best scenario we can hope for.  

Still, part of me wants to see Carman get the job and run with it.  I have no idea if he can switch sides, but I feel like I know that he absolutely is a tackle.  So much physicality.  

I don't know what happens with Williams and Collins.  It fells like something will.  That's a lot of guys to carry without knowing who the number 1 is.  I think I'd be pretty happy with Jonah being traded, Carman getting the job, then having Collins available mid season if it for some reason does not work out.  

The one thing that bothers me about it all is this: I feel pretty confident that Carman can play LT.  We have an albeit small sample size of him doing it at the most critical point in the season, and he was an absolute mauler.  I also fell confident that Brown could be possibly the best RT in the league.  He won't play there, but still, he's proven that he can do it at a high level.  Imagine if the LT thing wasn't such an issue and you could put the best fit at the best spot regardless.  

Don't get me wrong, getting Brown to play LT was like Christmas for this team.  He's going to make us better.  Hopefully a lot better.  Even so, if Carman is the player we saw in January, a line with him and Brown could be top ten or better in this league.  

I'm really pulling for Carman to earn that RT spot.  I want insurance behind him in case he can't hold it down, but I feel Jackson getting that job would benefit the team greatly.
Reply/Quote