Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what now when it comes to the TE room?
(03-23-2023, 10:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 6'7" 270 lbs

[Image: usa_today_20148286.0.jpg]
[Image: 18980711.jpeg]
[Image: f8bc4638-c20f-4364-9b01-5ee407a81138-AP2...&auto=webp]
[Image: FW5WONUYDJDP7EI4KYOYEYH53E.jpg]
4.64 40
11" hands
Massive wingspan
Blocks like an OT

I'm sold
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 11:38 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Don't have to sell me on the kid

(03-24-2023, 11:53 AM)3wt Wrote: 4.64 40
11" hands
Massive wingspan
Blocks like an OT

I'm sold

I see his floor as Jermaine Gresham, who I liked more than most as a Bengal. Celling is obviously Gronk 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 07:13 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Really like the Kincaid kid right now. Would take him over Mayer, but would be happy with either. Not as big on Washington, Musgrave or LaPorta. I don’t see Mayer or Kincaid being there for us in the first. If one is I would grab them. Only issue is the drop off in OT’s in the second if we don’t pick one in the first. I know it’s a deep TE class but if you have the chance to grab the best TE in this class at 28 do it. OT in the second, CB/DT third, RB Forth. Hell they may shock us and take Washington in the first since he can block like an Olinemen and get the best of both worlds.

I'll admit I watched the highlights not the film, but there's a lot of him lining up as a WR, catching balls outside the numbers, and when he does line up as a TE he's just straight up running a route without any contact. Would rather just take another WR than Kincaid. If you're going to use a high pick on a TE, get a TE.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/24/nfl-best-skill-position-groups-49ers-eagles-bengals#gid=ci02baf92b9000243e&pid=1
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'll admit I watched the highlights not the film, but there's a lot of him lining up as a WR, catching balls outside the numbers, and when he does line up as a TE he's just straight up running a route without any contact. Would rather just take another WR than Kincaid. If you're going to use a high pick on a TE, get a TE.

Kincaid is really bad at blocking, so he would be more like Dallas Clark than Gronk. I agree we need a more well-rounded TE, one good at blocking not just a receiving threat. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 11:53 AM)3wt Wrote: 4.64 40
11" hands
Massive wingspan
Blocks like an OT

I'm sold

Hard not to be really intrigued by Darnell Washington. Not against it, great blocker would help a need.

If he grew into what he could be, he could be better than Mayer no problem and even his college teammate.

(03-24-2023, 11:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I see his floor as Jermaine Gresham, who I liked more than most as a Bengal. Celling is obviously Gronk 

Not bad if he is just a Gresh who I DID like.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 08:33 AM)Garrus Wrote: Really hoping Wright falls to us at 28, then we can take the best remaining TE in round 2 (LaPorta perhaps). That would be a perfect start to the draft for me.

Same here Garrus. Darnell Wright and Sam LaPorta is ideal in my eyes to start the Draft. Love DJ Turner and Avila in the 2nd round
but I think LaPorta with our TE room would have the biggest impact as a rookie for us. Dude is about as solid as Mayer, maybe not 
quite as tall, but LaPorta can do it all just the same. As sure of a pick at TE as we could make somewhat early. Darnell Washington 
and Josh Whyle have the highest upside IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard not to be really intrigued by Darnell Washington. Not against it, great blocker would help a need.

If he grew into what he could be, he could be better than Mayer no problem and even his college teammate.

Not bad if he is just a Gresh who I DID like.

Believe he is perfect for what the Bengals need. 

also was a big Gresh fan, his only draw back was fumbling while fighting for extra yards which I do not fault him for at all.

But like Peko and Justin Smith who I both loved, many fans just turned on him like a pack of wolves. Easy to do when the teams are not winning playoff games I reckon.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe he is perfect for what the Bengals need. 

also was a big Gresh fan, his only draw back was fumbling while fighting for extra yards which I do not fault him for at all.

But like Peko and Justin Smith who I both loved, many fans just turned on him like a pack of wolves. Easy to do when the teams are not winning playoff games I reckon.

Would be a big time sign if both Mayer and Washington are there and we pick Washington. 

Agreed on the Gresh, Peko and Justin. I hated on them all at one point myself but they were all good players for us that made us
competitive year in and year out. I blame Marv more than anybody on not winning any Playoff games in 7 tries. That record still stands
alone in the hall of lame.
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of TE outside of Mayer, Washington, and Kincaid - Luke Schoonmaker and Josh Whyle look impressive and are more traditional TE. Zack Kuntz out of Old Dominion had a lot of clutch TD to win games in the last second and showed he can block. Payne Durham is similar.

I honestly really like Luke Schoonmaker and Josh Whyle especially in the third round.
Reply/Quote
In my eyes, there are 6 guys who could probably start immediately and be decent or better.
Mayer
Washington
Kincaid (although more like the Mark Andrews mold)
Musgrave
Kraft
LaPorta

Here are the number of TEs taken before Pick 92 (Bengals 3rd rounder this year) since Taylor became HC:
2022 - 3
2021 - 4
2020 - 2
2019 - 7 (4 taken before Pick 60)

The most TEs taken in Rd 1 were 2 during this window.

2019 was considered the deepest TE class of these past years.
2023 is expected to be right up there too, if not better.

So I believe that it's too risky to wait until the Bengals' 3rd round pick (92) or later to get a TE.
The Bengals would have a basic guarantee that they would get one of the above six guys at 28. I see it likely that two TEs, maybe three go in Rd 1.
There's a decent chance 1-2 of them could be available at 60.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:41 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: There are a lot of TE outside of Mayer, Washington, and Kincaid - Luke Schoonmaker and Josh Whyle look impressive and are more traditional TE. Zack Kuntz out of Old Dominion had a lot of clutch TD to win games in the last second and showed he can block. Payne Durham is similar.

I honestly really like Luke Schoonmaker and Josh Whyle especially in the third round.

Kuntz is an interesting prospect with a ton of upside as well. His RAS scores were insane. It is a very deep class.

I always forget a couple guys I like, Schoonmaker is solid, same with Durham and Brenton Strange. Similar players that can block 
and catch. I just don't see Kincaid as being a fit here at all, he is a WR playing TE and Scotty Washington never made it here.

(03-24-2023, 02:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In my eyes, there are 6 guys who could probably start immediately and be decent or better.
Mayer
Washington
Kincaid (although more like the Mark Andrews mold)
Musgrave
Kraft
LaPorta

Here are the number of TEs taken before Pick 92 (Bengals 3rd rounder this year) since Taylor became HC:
2022 - 3
2021 - 4
2020 - 2
2019 - 7 (4 taken before Pick 60)

The most TEs taken in Rd 1 were 2 during this window.

2019 was considered the deepest TE class of these past years.
2023 is expected to be right up there too, if not better.

So I believe that it's too risky to wait until the Bengals' 3rd round pick (92) or later to get a TE.
The Bengals would have a basic guarantee that they would get one of the above six guys at 28. I see it likely that two TEs, maybe three go in Rd 1.
There's a decent chance 1-2 of them could be available at 60.

Great post, I too like a TE at 60 and my ideal guy there is LaPorta, but I would be good with any of the other guys besides Kincaid.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kuntz is an interesting prospect with a ton of upside as well. His RAS scores were insane. It is a very deep class.

I always forget a couple guys I like, Schoonmaker is solid, same with Durham and Brenton Strange. Similar players that can block 
and catch. I just don't see Kincaid as being a fit here at all, he is a WR playing TE and Scotty Washington never made it here.

Great post, I too like a TE at 60 and my ideal guy there is LaPorta, but I would be good with any of the other guys besides Kincaid.

Betting you've probably seen more of Kincaid than most of us. In fact I just watched his highlights for the first time yesterday after seeing so many mock him to the Bengals. Never have watched a Utah game once during his playing days. 

What is your analysis of the kid ? 

Yet have watched Georgia many times and have been saying for 13 years that they would be the next Alabama, but they sure made me look bad for half of those years until recently. The state of Georgia surpassed Florida in Division 1 players coming out of HS awhile ago, so it was only a matter of time imo. Still have yet to get a real elite QB but suspect that is coming soon with their recent success. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Do you want an OJ Howard type, David Njoku type, or Evan Engram type?

I see Darnell Washington in the Howard mold. Uber blocker, great Combine to showcase athleticism, arguably was underutilized in college. Howard's early production with TB really showed he could have been among the top TEs had he been able to stay healthy. But Howard has floundered out of the league at this point.

I see Dalton Kincaid in the Engram mold. He might end up being the best pure receiving TE out of the whole group. 700+ yard kinda guy.
Not gonna be used too much as a blocker though.

Mayer kinda fits that Njoku mold. Njoku was an all-around TE who was a good receiver but also could block. He hasn't ended up being among the top TEs year-in, year-out, but he's always putting up consistent production. Had a couple 600+ yard seasons.

I see LaPorta maybe something like Hurst, maybe a ceiling of Dalton Schultz if used enough as a receiver.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Betting you've probably seen more of Kincaid than most of us. In fact I just watched his highlights for the first time yesterday after seeing so many mock him to the Bengals. Never have watched a Utah game once during his playing days. 

What is your analysis of the kid ? 

Yet have watched Georgia many times and have been saying for 13 years that they would be the next Alabama, but they sure made me look bad for half of those years until recently. The state of Georgia surpassed Florida in Division 1 players coming out of HS awhile ago, so it was only a matter of time imo. Still have yet to get a real elite QB but suspect that is coming soon with their recent success. 

Yes, seen a lot of Kincaid the last few years. Damn fine Receiver and if that is what we wanted to draft him for I would be fine with it.

He just cannot block, like, at all. He has been a big WR playing TE at Utah. We are looking at TE's with us losing Hurst and talking with
all of the top guys at that position. If we go TE early, I want it to be Washington, Mayer or Musgrave over Kincaid. Washington has the 
craziest upside of any TE since Pitts and is bigger, stronger and even has a bigger wingspan, biggest ever. So, he is my guy right now if 
we go TE early. Great blocker already on top of it. 

I like Mayer a ton too and he would help us immediately as well at TE no doubt. Musgrave is talented, just hardly any production.

As much as some people on here will be mad if we don't go with one of the RT's early, we have to prepare for it, just from what we are
seeing with the TE market now and the depth in this class. Have to take one of the top guys in the first 2 rounds from Washington to 
LaPorta my fave option at 60.

BTW, always liked the Georga Bulldogs and was happy when they took the reigns over Bama. Stetson Bennett wasn't great for them so
they could really take a step up there if they get a talent that doesn't turn the ball over. Got a name of the next great Georgia QB?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, seen a lot of Kincaid the last few years. Damn fine Receiver and if that is what we wanted to draft him for I would be fine with it.

He just cannot block, like, at all. He has been a big WR playing TE at Utah. We are looking at TE's with us losing Hurst and talking with
all of the top guys at that position. If we go TE early, I want it to be Washington, Mayer or Musgrave over Kincaid. Washington has the 
craziest upside of any TE since Pitts and is bigger, stronger and even has a bigger wingspan, biggest ever. So, he is my guy right now if 
we go TE early. Great blocker already on top of it. 

I like Mayer a ton too and he would help us immediately as well at TE no doubt. Musgrave is talented, just hardly any production.

As much as some people on here will be mad if we don't go with one of the RT's early, we have to prepare for it, just from what we are
seeing with the TE market now and the depth in this class. Have to take one of the top guys in the first 2 rounds from Washington to 
LaPorta my fave option at 60.

BTW, always liked the Georga Bulldogs and was happy when they took the reigns over Bama. Stetson Bennett wasn't great for them so
they could really take a step up there if they get a talent that doesn't turn the ball over. Got a name of the next great Georgia QB?

Alabama is retaliating with the new NIL. They literally went to each country club around and assigned them positions that their clubs would be responsible for paying for on top of what the college will do themselves. Georgia has some cabbage too so it will be interesting. 

They want that Az kid Dylan Raiola badly and hope they land him. Seems that's the one position where they have a problem landing the elite players. 

Beck will be the starter but believe Vandagriff and Stockton will be better when their time comes, not sure they will be elite either though. But could be, but they are gunning for more elite types in every upcoming class and believe they will land a couple. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'll admit I watched the highlights not the film, but there's a lot of him lining up as a WR, catching balls outside the numbers, and when he does line up as a TE he's just straight up running a route without any contact. Would rather just take another WR than Kincaid. If you're going to use a high pick on a TE, get a TE.

Well said. Kinda hard to argue against that. I just keep seeing this Dallas Clark type connection with him and Burrow. Also thought he would really help if we do lose Tee. Really liking some of the later TE’s also like Kuntz, Willis, and Kraft. But I don’t see Kraft making it to our 3rd pick. It will just be tough to pass up on the somewhat hometown kid Mayer and Kincaid for me in the first. But I completely get it. If we didn’t pick up Brown I would be completely against any other position other than OT at 28, all depends who’s still there though.
Reply/Quote
I can honestly see our draft going something like this.

My Selections

Darnell Wright
OTI I Tennessee

Tucker Kraft
TEl a South Dakota State

Tyjae Spears
RBI @ Tulane

Jaylon Jones
CB1 AM Texas A&M

Brandon Joseph
S| m Notre Dame

Jerrod Clark
DL| 4 Coastal Carolina

Jose Ramirez
EDGE| E Eastern Michigan
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:15 PM)samhain Wrote: Is there really a problem, though?  The team went to the Super Bowl and came within a hair of doing it again.  The offense is elite when the quarterback has reasonable protection.  

There are only so many balls to go around, and Ja'marr/Tee/Tyler will account for the majority.  Would it be nice to have an elite TE?  Yes.  Is it a pressing need? Not this year.  They'll never ask much of a tight end so long as they have 3 star receivers taking up the majority of the passing offense.  Taylor's other SB team, the Rams didn't have a star TE, either. They don't now just as they didn't when they won the SB.

I just don't see a need to invest a ton of capital in the position.  Get a guy that can block and maybe go for 400 yards and a few tds.  It's a formula that isn't broken, so no need to fix.

We improved the line this year and fell short so maybe a impactful TE could have changed outcome.  Today more teams are seeing a top TE as  their 2/3 best wr.with Boyd probably gone next year and Higgins status up in air, great time to look at TE.
Reply/Quote
Don’t we still have Drew Sample. We traded up for the draft for him. He must be a stud.
Reply/Quote