Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
So who is our #4 WR
(05-02-2021, 10:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean the guy who was often not even on the active roster on gamedays because he was behind Erickson and Mike Thomas?

Yes.  He is still around.  And we also re-signed Thomas who I assume would currently be listed as our #4 WR.

But I don't have much confidence in either of those guys.

still got mike thomas right?   
Reply/Quote
This might be something that should be obvious and that everyone else knows but who is our punt returner?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 11:01 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Our #4 WR may not even be part of the roster yet.  My guess is that we'll bring in some Cap casualties (veterans) to compete.

Actually this is what I am thinking also.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 01:07 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: This might be something that should be obvious and that everyone else knows but who is our punt returner?

I'm sure they'll find someone throughout OTAs and TC; it'll be fun to watch in the pre-season, that's for sure! Big Grin

Maybe Riley Lees?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Should have drafted Smith Marsette later on.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean the guy who was often not even on the active roster on gamedays because he was behind Erickson and Mike Thomas?

Yes.  He is still around.  And we also re-signed Thomas who I assume would currently be listed as our #4 WR.

But I don't have much confidence in either of those guys.

I don’t look at u as someone who could evaluate talent at all but Auden Tate and Michael Thomas are both more than capable of manning the 4th spot and I’d give the nod to Auden Tate cuz he’s been just chomping at the bit for mote snaps. Watch more bengal games guy, Tate has shown quite a few flashes on very limited snaps
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 05:59 PM)pulses Wrote: Should have drafted Smith Marsette later on.

Woof, smith marsette ain’t shit
Reply/Quote
All these people talking about Tate catching everything and looking like a #2.... the guy caught 50% of the the passes thrown at him that year. That's 7.8% worse than the team's %.

For all his size and catch radius, he has exactly 1 TD in his career. He's basically just a taller (but not more effective) Alex Erickson who doesn't play as much ST.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think that Tate geniunely does have great hands, so I don't attribute his bad catch rate to that. Instead, he gets zero separation on pretty much every route he runs, so even well-thrown balls will often be batted away, or the quarterback will have to try to shimmy it into a very tiny zone of safety and inevitably miss.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 01:07 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: This might be something that should be obvious and that everyone else knows but who is our punt returner?

Riley Lees could be punt returner and #4 WR if he makes the team.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: -Going into free agency I predicted that we would sign at least one mid-tier WR with some proven production in the NFL.  Top level WRs get a lot of money, but there are always decent veterans available for a reasonable price.

-Going into the draft I predicted that we would select multiple WRs with at least one in the top 3 rounds.

-In Bengals offense the #3 WR is basically a starter and we often run 4 WR sets.

So I still see a big hole in our offense at the #4 WR position.  Are there any decent free agents still out there? Are there any likely to be released post draft?  I wouldn't count on an UDFA to contribute this year, but are there any decent ones out there we could sign for depth?
It will probably be matchup based with Tate, Thomas, and Morgan. I think Morgan carved out a roll for himself with his special teams play last year. Thomas and Tate could be fighting for a 5th game day active spot. Three guys who have been around the block but are young with something to prove fighting for that 4th spot. Can't have it all. That is a decent situation to have behind the best trio in the league.

Darius Phillips and Brandon Wilson get my vote for all return duties. Trayveon and Captain America should be catching punts and kicks to increase their value as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 08:11 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Woof, smith marsette ain’t shit

Smith Marsette is better than Tate and he offers more versatility also.
Reply/Quote
An important reason of the June 1st cut is good players cap dead money can be spread over 2 years, so teams will start dictating post June 1st cuts in the coming weeks. It is more important in 2021 to use the 2 years since many teams are up against the cap.

I still see us signing a vet receiver who will have no guaranteed contract unless they are on the roster game 1. The good news is since we have a true #1 who can take the top off a defense and Higgins and Boyd, we have a lot of versatility.

I will say it again, as important or more important is go get Ertz for a draft pick in 2022. The Eagles need to dump his salary, we have the money, go get him and make Burrow very happy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Open competition between Tate and Thomas, but Thomas does more work on teams.  One thing the Bengals didn't address was KR/PR so I look for them to sign a UDFA WR with that skill set.

The Bengals returners are already on the team. Where have you been? Brandon Wilson has been one of the best kick returnees in the NFL the last 2 years.. Darius Phillips is also a threat in the punt return game? Are you trolling?
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:58 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: The Bengals returners are already on the team. Where have you been? Brandon Wilson has been one of the best kick returnees in the NFL the last 2 years.. Darius Phillips is also a threat in the punt return game? Are you trolling?

Honestly!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He supposedly was, but I like Pooka Williams more as a speedy, shifty slot guy, TBH.
Pooka is too light to play RB full-time, but he's very similar in size to Hawkins.
He also had 66 receptions for 534 yards and 4 TDs across 26 games, which is more receptions than Evans had across 42 games.
He also clocked a 4.38 40 at his Pro Day, and also had a good shuttle (4.01) and 3-cone (6.96).

From this article, it says "Pass protection will be a struggle without added strength, but a good coach will use him as a receiver instead."
https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/3/9/22320016/49ers-meet-with-rb-pooka-williams-at-his-pro-day-where-he-ran-a-4-38-40-yard-dash

I like Pooka too very fast and tough he does not shy away from contact for a smaller guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:58 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: The Bengals returners are already on the team. Where have you been? Brandon Wilson has been one of the best kick returnees in the NFL the last 2 years.. Darius Phillips is also a threat in the punt return game? Are you trolling?

Erickson was the primary punt returner and the backup slot WR.  The Bengals just signed a guy (Pooka Williams) that is a solid returner, but I don't see many roster spots for a RB.  Ditto Lees the WR from Northwestern.

Phillips has trouble staying healthy, and how is he a threat in the punt return game?  5 PR in his three years and none last year?  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Erickson was the primary punt returner and the backup slot WR.  The Bengals just signed a guy (Pooka Williams) that is a solid returner, but I don't see many roster spots for a RB.  Ditto Lees the WR from Northwestern.

Phillips has trouble staying healthy, and how is he a threat in the punt return game?  5 PR in his three years and none last year?  

Erickson's position of backup slot and PR is still open.
I think that's the spot for someone like Lees or Pooka.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Erickson's position of backup slot and PR is still open.
I think that's the spot for someone like Lees or Pooka.

I kind of like the idea of putting Tate as a "big slot", where he lined up appx half the snaps already.  

We quickly forget his 40 reception, 575 yard stat line of 2019 because of his injury-shortened season last year.  That being said, I don't see Tate as a KR or PR.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I kind of like the idea of putting Tate as a "big slot", where he lined up appx half the snaps already.  

We quickly forget his 40 reception, 575 yard stat line of 2019 because of his injury-shortened season last year.  That being said, I don't see Tate as a KR or PR.  

I haven't forgotten about Tate's stat line of 2019, it just wasn't impressive, TBH.
Tate only put up 40 receptions on 80 targets that year when he played 647 offensive snaps, the second-most snaps among WRs.
He did just about the same as Alex Erickson, who put up 43 receptions for 529 yards on 615 offensive snaps that year.
The difference is Erickson had added value as a returner.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote