Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who is that starter at LG?
Zac dodged the question in his post game interview.

Is Cordell Volson entrenched as the starter at left guard?

"This was Jackson's (Carman) opportunity. He had missed a couple days. He didn't get to play last week, so we thought we gave him a great opportunity to show himself today."

When you went back to watch the film on Cordell Volson, what do you see?

"I see steady improvement. He's consistent. We know what we're getting out of him. It's real important to him. Again, we've seen steady improvement from him over the course of training camp."

It is all nothing but coach-speak gobbledygook.

To me I think it is still 2 weeks until the season starts so he does not want to commit

Wasn't Carman still listed as #1 on the depth chart going into the Rams game? But does the fact that Volson did not play mean he is #1 now?

Have there been any other tweets or comments from any reliable sources?
Reply/Quote
I'd have to guess Volson...
Reply/Quote
The fact Volson didn’t get in at all yesterday and took all number 1 snaps all week, it’s pretty safe to assume it’s Volson.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 03:36 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The fact Volson didn’t get in at all yesterday and took all number 1 snaps all week, it’s pretty safe to assume it’s Volson.

If Carman had not been out with Covid I would agree.

And I am not saying Volson is not the starter.  I am just saying that I don't think Volson not playing proves he is the starter.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 03:36 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The fact Volson didn’t get in at all yesterday and took all number 1 snaps all week, it’s pretty safe to assume it’s Volson.

This. Volson will start at LG...

Hope he grows quickly. I think he will with good players in Jonah and Ted next to him.

Nothing against Carman, bad timing with the covid and he didn't play quite good enough. Carman was actually pretty good
yesterday besides the sack he gave up and the penalty. I thought Gilliam played pretty dang good and like I said in the other
thread, never even heard of him before. I heard from Munoz he started on the Stealers at one point so he must not be terrible.
Reply/Quote
Yeah it’s coach speak. After the giants game I saw a vid of Zac talking about Volson’s performance. He said there were some positives.
Same question about Carman’s yesterday, one week later, and he said he’d have to watch the tape.

Common man! I think his reply is taking the road of saying nothing when not having anything good to say.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Carman had not been out with Covid I would agree.

And I am not saying Volson is not the starter.  I am just saying that I don't think Volson not playing proves he is the starter.

Carman didn’t take a single 1st team rep this week and took almost all 2nd team, maybe some 3rd team. You don’t go from taking all 1st team (Volson) to not playing a single snap unless you have the job locked up. Plus Carman did not do himself any favors by continuing to show his major flaws against fringe players.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:05 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Carman didn’t take a single 1st team rep this week and took almost all 2nd team, maybe some 3rd team. You don’t go from taking all 1st team (Volson) to not playing a single snap unless you have the job locked up. Plus Carman did not do himself any favors by continuing to show his major flaws against fringe players.

True and I am a Carman backer. He really needs to work on his hand placement and balance.

Volson must of shown something late against Donald that the coaches loved and frustrated him, hence the Bengals helmet
to the head lol
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 04:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nothing against Carman, bad timing with the covid and he didn't play quite good enough. Carman was actually pretty good
yesterday

Give it a rest, Nate

It’s not your fault
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Give it a rest, Nate

It’s not your fault

Alright Frank lol
Reply/Quote
If Volson does start over Carman (I just want the best one no matter who it is) that's a pretty big and bad statement on Carman's career trajectory.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True and I am a Carman backer. He really needs to work on his hand placement and balance.

Volson must of shown something late against Donald that the coaches loved and frustrated him, hence the Bengals helmet
to the head lol

Didn't Carman play Tackle in college? I don't understand why they haven't tried him at Tackle. I get that he hasn't panned out at Guard, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll stink at tackle too. Wasn't Fred Johnson terrible at Guard but at least serviceable at Tackle? Maybe Carman can be a back up swing Tackle. Or maybe we could trade him to a Tackle desperate team and keep the guy from Pittsburgh. ( Can't believe I just wrote that)
Reply/Quote
Charmin is just so inconsistent with his technique. D'Ante Smith is more consistent but needs to be more aware of the play around him. Alot of Smith's issues are in mental.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:56 PM)Mer Wrote: Didn't Carman play Tackle in college? I don't understand why they haven't tried him at Tackle. I get that he hasn't panned out at Guard, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll stink at tackle too. Wasn't Fred Johnson terrible at Guard but at least serviceable at Tackle? Maybe Carman can be a back up swing Tackle. Or maybe we could trade him to a Tackle desperate team and keep the guy from Pittsburgh. ( Can't believe I just wrote that)

I think that will be the next move to try and salvage something out of the pick, especially with how bad Smith looked in preseason.  

Pretty discouraging that they dropped so much draft capital on the OL in '21 and only Hill is showing any kind of promise.  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 06:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Charmin is just so inconsistent with his technique. D'Ante Smith is more consistent but needs to be more aware of the play around him. Alot of Smith's issues are in mental.

I kind of wonder if moving Carman to T to allow him to set up just a little bit further off the LoS will help him with his jump set issues.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 06:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: I kind of wonder if moving Carman to T to allow him to set up just a little bit further off the LoS will help him with his jump set issues.

Possibly he looks good when he quick sets (or angle if you wanna call it that).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 06:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Charmin is just so inconsistent with his technique. D'Ante Smith is more consistent but needs to be more aware of the play around him. Alot of Smith's issues are in mental.

Subconscious or intentional? LOL

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 06:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Subconscious or intentional? LOL

Lol during the Bengals board fantasy draft my tablet autocorrected to Charmin... Perfect nickname.

Reply/Quote
If the player is on the roster presently then would think it would be Volson at this point but may change later.

Neither really look like they've seized anything just yet.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't think the player is currently on the roster as of right now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote