Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solomon Wilcots: "I'm really concerned"
(08-29-2015, 01:25 PM)Beaker Wrote: How about it was preseason and it doesn't matter? We see preseason after preseason where good teams like the steelers, or the colts, etc will go 0-4 in the preseason, and end up 12-4 or something in the regular season. Get stressed about something else in life that really matters.

No dammit! If I can't overreact to a pre-season game in which the temps were ridiculous and exceptionally humid for a team going through a very mild summer in Cincinnati, while the home team had it's first chance to showcase their new first round draft pick franchise QB....I don't know if life is worth living! 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 10:09 AM)PApinhead Wrote: Exactly!!!  I don't see why it is so hard for some to see why others are a little concerned about that performance.  Like you, I said it earlier that I am not ready to write the season off after that game, but I am frustrated and wonder where the drive was?  Aside from a few players, they looked unprepared and not even wanting to be there.  That bothers me.  Hopefully this week is different.

I can understand if some fans aren't worried, but why is it so hard for them to see why others might be without calling us chicken littles, etc...?  I don't think anyone is less of a fan because they think differently than I do and aren't worried about how they performed in a pre-season game.  They just view things differently.

Some fans always have to feel like they're somehow better fans, or that real fans can't ever be negative. 

Negativity automatically = trolling, no matter how established the poster is. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 01:29 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The only people I see upset about preseason negative comments are those who think our O-line is fantastic(okay some may just say stable)because of sack totals and pass pro PFF numbers.

Those never seem to add up when the Post Season comes into play.  Like Dalton's Marino-esque first 4 years numbers "leading" our team to the playoffs or AJ being top tier WR then lastly our D looking like they never learned how to rush the QB.

Your always gonna see Dalton doubters and McCarron cravers no matter if it's PS or full blown regular season.

Nobody really knows what kinds of strides this team has made in the off-season just yet.

It's just that looming concern that it's business as usual that is only natural to feel...  yes even if they haven't played a game that counts for the current season.

Them demons just ain't goin' away.  No matter how you try to block them out.

Great post.  ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 01:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some fans always have to feel like they're somehow better fans, or that real fans can't ever be negative. 

Yeah, I love how being concerned with how my team looks in a pre-season game makes me think the whole season is over or that I have no football knowledge.

And them you have a former player and current commentator voicing the same opinion and he gets labeled being out of touch with today's NFL, etc....  Unbelievable.

Oh well, nothing is going to stop me from rooting for my team the way I want to do it.  I've been doing it for 36 years and will do it that way for at least another 36 years, hopefully. ThumbsUp
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 01:46 PM)PApinhead Wrote: Yeah, I love how being concerned with how my team looks in a pre-season game makes me think the whole season is over or that I have no football knowledge.

And them you have a former player and current commentator voicing the same opinion and he gets labeled being out of touch with today's NFL, etc....  Unbelievable.

Oh well, nothing is going to stop me from rooting for my team the way I want to do it.  I've been doing it for 36 years and will do it that way for at least another 36 years, hopefully. ThumbsUp

36 years for you, 22 years for me. We've been around long enough to understand how the preseason works.

I'm not declaring the season to be over, but that kind of effort is discouraging when we've seen it before on the biggest stages.

On a positive note, maybe that game will serve as an early wake up call. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 02:24 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I really hope I don't see many of you being hypocrites and downplaying it if the Bengals come out and destroy the Bears with their first team this weekend.

Soooooo many condescending attitudes over the past week on here, it's been amazing to watch so many old time, legitimate posters go full blown holier than thou. There are a bunch of people that I really didn't expect this from.

Why the Bears game is different than the Bucs game?

Road game
Primetime game

I fully expect this team to come out and play well against the Bears this evening but that doesn't excuse their poor outing against the Bucs. They played like complete and utter crap. It was "business as usual" for Bengals. That is the part that is discouraging and that is the reason why fans are upset. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 01:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some fans always have to feel like they're somehow better fans, or that real fans can't ever be negative. 

Exactly.  Also, some posters can't disagree with the opinion without taking a shot at the poster too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 01:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: This is a thread throughout Marvin Lewis' entire career in Cincinnati. The players and OC/DC have all changed and the one constant is Marvin. How maddening has it been to watch them in the regular season play one game like a Super Bowl champ only to turnaround and look like the most unprepared team you've ever seen? This isn't going to change. If it was, things would've been different years ago.

This is old stuff... AND ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Of course this is Marvy's last year as Bengal HC. Remember - he promised. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 02:27 PM)Derrick Wrote: This is old stuff... AND ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Of course this is Marvy's last year as Bengal HC. Remember - he promised. Rolleyes

...if he wins the SB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 01:25 PM)Beaker Wrote: How about it was preseason and it doesn't matter? We see preseason after preseason where good teams like the steelers, or the colts, etc will go 0-4 in the preseason, and end up 12-4 or something in the regular season. Get stressed about something else in life that really matters.

I've also seen the Steelers and Colts win playoff games since East Germany ceased to exist.  When Dalton wins a Super Bowl he can go out in preseason and throw the ball backwards 50 yards every time and I'll say "I'm ok with this."

Preseason scores don't matter, but I also recall Russel Wilson looking way better than Matt Flynn in preseason and that actually leading to a franchise making a really important decision. I guess they should have said "Meh, it's just preseason, play the noodle-armed bum we are giving the big bucks" but nooooooooo, they made a decision and drew conclusions based on games that DIDN'T COUNT!

WAKE UP, PETE CARRRROLLLLL you Richard Gere-lookin' fool!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gerald McCoy is a top 5 4-3 DL.
Suh, Atkins, McCoy and Donald.
He made our guys look bad a few times. It happens.
We had our backup RT in (who might not last all 16 once Ogbuehi is ready)

A few missed calls happen. No matter how good you are.
The fact that people got so upset over it is a sign of how rare these games are here.
Reply/Quote

How about our team isn't the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, or even Colts. How about our team is unable to take the final step these other teams have ? Hell they can't keep from getting booted in the first round by teams that haven't made the final show themselves.

How about I'd like to see my team change the culture around here and quit getting punked by lesser teams. Hell we donate one of the Browns 3-5 wins nearly every season.

How about I want more ?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 05:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Gerald McCoy is a top 5 4-3 DL.
Suh, Atkins, McCoy and Donald.
He made our guys look bad a few times. It happens.
We had our backup RT in (who might not last all 16 once Ogbuehi is ready)

A few missed calls happen. No matter how good you are.
The fact that people got so upset over it is a sign of how rare these games are here.

Is it upset or is it just concerned and maybe a little stunned.  If we didn't have the history of periodically dropping such bombs, it might be different.  I Just keep hoping for a day when total ineptitude is just not even  a possibility.

And if people are upset, even if it's overreacting, it's from having that button pushed yet again.

Anyway, let's just come out strong tonight and show a little something.

Reply/Quote
I wonder if Wilcots is still concerned.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:54 AM)Beaker Wrote: I wonder if Wilcots is still concerned.

He should be. The nice effort this week doesn't mean that the abysmal effort of last week didn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:05 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He should be. The nice effort this week doesn't mean that the abysmal effort of last week didn't happen.

Nor the great effort the week before....since preseason is such a great indicator of season success.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:54 AM)Beaker Wrote: I wonder if Wilcots is still concerned.

Probably less so.  Doesn't the way the whole team responded say that they knew what just about everyone else knew?

Some things are not acceptable no matter when they happen.  Not real complicated, all snideness aside.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 06:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: How about our team isn't the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, or even Colts. How about our team is unable to take the final step these other teams have ? Hell they can't keep from getting booted in the first round by teams that haven't made the final show themselves.

How about I'd like to see my team change the culture around here and quit getting punked by lesser teams. Hell we donate one of the Browns 3-5 wins nearly every season.

How about I want more ?

Bingo!

No offense to those who look upon mediocrity as an accomplishment.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I don't think if we tried McCarron a few games that many on here would squeal. Shoot I'd like to see what he can do during the regular season myself.

There are problems if -- McCarron looks average or McCarron looks bad.

Dalton looks average too. You really didn't gain anything. Now you have an upside down situation. We could let Dalton go though, so there is the $$$ issue to get better folks around McCarron.

If McCarron looks bad -- but perhaps with real game reps he could grow, then you have a QB controversy (a la Cleveland). Then we have to throw the whole team into the spin cycle and go 6-10 or 7-9 a couple years.

If McCarron looks great and we keep winning, you made the right call. That's pretty rare in the NFL that you start a rookie and the team doesn't miss a beat. Not to mention that I doubt rookie QBs in the playoffs have a very good record.

Meh. I understand why they keep Dalton. He's the devil they know.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2015, 01:30 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No dammit! If I can't overreact to a pre-season game in which the temps were ridiculous and exceptionally humid for a team going through a very mild summer in Cincinnati, while the home team had it's first chance to showcase their new first round draft pick franchise QB....I don't know if life is worth living! 

Still doesn't excuse the poor tackling.
Reply/Quote