Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sooo..the Chargers hire a 1st time HC yet are a potential playoff team
I will admit Im not a fan of Zac Taylor.
I wasnt impressed with his resume coming in and I felt he had no
Experience turning a culture around.
But I look at the San Diego Chargers coaching hire
And alot of media personalities that cover the NFL
Have them ranked way higher in the power rankings than the Bengals. And a playoff team to boot
Brandon Staley was the Rams DC last year.
I get it the Rams defense was among the leagues best

Staley has coached with the Bears Broncos and I think
Baldwin Wallace here in Northeast Ohio.
This is his 1st time as a NFL head coach.
It already seems like he is getting more credibility
Than Zac Taylor.?
Talent wise the Chargers arent that much better
Than the Bengals.
And that family that owns the Chargers arent exactly
Held in the same regard as the Rooney Hunt or Jones ownerships

Just another example of the Bengals team is disrespected.
(I know winning solves everything and respect is earned)
Reply/Quote
To be fair, every team is a potential playoff team at this point in the year...

There's been a lot of hype around Staley, but there were plenty who thought Taylor was a good hire as well. At this point in ZT's career, I'm not surprised no one is picking the Bengals to suddenly turn it around and have a bit more optimism surrounding the next hot young coach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Chargers have a young QB who seems to have "it" and paired him with a coordinator with a successful resume. I wouldn't take it personally that there is optimism there.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 01:49 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: To be fair, every team is a potential playoff team at this point in the year...

There's been a lot of hype around Staley, but there were plenty who thought Taylor was a good hire as well.  At this point in ZT's career, I'm not surprised no one is picking the Bengals to suddenly turn it around and have a bit more optimism surrounding the next hot young coach.

Plus the young offensive minded HC trend has died down a bit since the boom it has 3 or so years ago. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 01:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I will admit Im not a fan of Zac Taylor.
Have them ranked way higher in the power rankings than the Bengals. And a playoff team to boot

Than Zac Taylor.?
Than the Bengals.

Well why would anyone think we are a playoff team coming off 6 wins in 2 years with the same coaching staff?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well why would anyone think we are a playoff team coming off 6 wins in 2 years with the same coaching staff?

Because we drafted Chase and that fixed everything.  Sarcasm Sarcasm

The team has a chance to be improved but you are 100% correct. There wasn't much moving of the needle to see a huge upswing in win total.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I'd be interested in seeing how our year end rankings compare to the pre season power rankings. I'd wager we exceeded expectations in years like 09 and 2011 but we also likely came up below expectations in years like 2016, 2019 and 2020.

I doubt we always end the year doing better than the media had predicted.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 01:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I will admit Im not a fan of Zac Taylor.

Than Zac Taylor.?
Than the Bengals.

Impact, have you really looked at the Chargers roster?  If you had you wouldnt have said they arent that much better than the Bengals. 

QB they are about even considering they have the reigning offensive rookie of the year.  The Chargers in the off season rebuilt their offensive line so Herbert doesn't get touched and has time to hit his WR.  

The Chargers have one of the best defenses in the NFL led by Joey Bosa.   Ours is led by???? Hendrickson?  Hubbard?????

Anyway, then you take this young new coach who has been a defensive coordinator in the NFL.  He actually coordinated defenses...made the calls.  Had one of the best defenses in the NFL.   Compare that to Zac of being a QB coach.  Yea he coached up what's his face with the Detroit Lions now.  

I'd take Staley too.  The dude again lead one of the best defense in the league.  Called the defense.  Put players in position to succeed.  

What has Zac done?  What did he do prior to coming to Cincinnati?  Just sayin.  This isnt an apples to apples comparison.  This is more like Apples to Oranges. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:34 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Impact, have you really looked at the Chargers roster?  If you had you wouldnt have said they arent that much better than the Bengals. 

QB they are about even considering they have the reigning offensive rookie of the year.  The Chargers in the off season rebuilt their offensive line so Herbert doesn't get touched and has time to hit his WR.  

The Chargers have one of the best defenses in the NFL led by Joey Bosa.   Ours is led by???? Hendrickson?  Hubbard?????

Anyway, then you take this young new coach who has been a defensive coordinator in the NFL.  He actually coordinated defenses...made the calls.  Had one of the best defenses in the NFL.   Compare that to Zac of being a QB coach.  Yea he coached up what's his face with the Detroit Lions now.  

I'd take Staley too.  The dude again lead one of the best defense in the league.  Called the defense.  Put players in position to succeed.  

What has Zac done?  What did he do prior to coming to Cincinnati?  Just sayin.  This isnt an apples to apples comparison.  This is more like Apples to Oranges. 

Staley has never been a HC at any level.
Just because you are coordinator that orchestrated a unit
To a Top 3-ranking doesnt equate to being a successful
Head coach. 
Ive seen tons of coordinators try to be head coaches 
Only to fail. Rob Chudzinski, Mike Pettine, Jay Gruden,
Josh McDaniels, Matt Patriarca....etc etc

Ive looked at the Chargers roster. 
If its,better than the Bengals then it isnt by much.
The Chargers oline is getting revamped like the Bengals oline
QBs are a wash. 
WR cores are equal. 
The Bengals RBs collectively are better.
Bosa Hendrickson even steven.
The Bengals secondary depth is better
Chargers have better LBers overall. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 05:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Staley has never been a HC at any level.
Head coach. 

QBs are a wash. 
WR cores are equal. 

How many Quarterback Coaches have you seen succeed in the NFL?  I mean Marvin Lewis no head coaching experience  DC for the Ravens and is the winningest coach in Bengals history. 

If I am correct Dave Shula was hired and the highest position as a coach he'd coached was WR.   I'm wondering how many position coaches have succeeded in the NFL because our position coach has 6 wins in 2 years.  Just facts. 

The Charges revamped line blows Cincinnati's revamped line out of the water.  The Chargers made an effort in FA to improve their line.  The Bengals signed Reiff.  

If you truly believe Bosa and Hendrickson are even/equal you best take off the orange and black glasses lol good lord.  Can you please share whatever it your smoking? lol 

So the Chargers are better in the 2 spots that you win football games....up front on the OL and DL.  The Chargers are stronger at LB so their front 7 are better....so you're admitting the Defense for the Chargers is good. 

Normally, I agree with you but this one I have to disagree with your opinion. 

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 05:41 PM)TJ528 Wrote: How many Quarterback Coaches have you seen succeed in the NFL?  I mean Marvin Lewis no head coaching experience  DC for the Ravens and is the winningest coach in Bengals history. 

If I am correct Dave Shula was hired and the highest position as a coach he'd coached was WR.   I'm wondering how many position coaches have succeeded in the NFL because our position coach has 6 wins in 2 years.  Just facts. 

The Charges revamped line blows Cincinnati's revamped line out of the water.  The Chargers made an effort in FA to improve their line.  The Bengals signed Reiff.  

If you truly believe Bosa and Hendrickson are even/equal you best take off the orange and black glasses lol good lord.  Can you please share whatever it your smoking? lol 

So the Chargers are better in the 2 spots that you win football games....up front on the OL and DL.  The Chargers are stronger at LB so their front 7 are better....so you're admitting the Defense for the Chargers is good. 

Normally, I agree with you but this one I have to disagree with your opinion. 

Look Im no fan of ZT. 6 wins in 2 years. Thats pretty bad.
I dont think he is the right guy to right this program 
But I.just see all this love for the Chargers and Staley is given
His 1st HC job ever and get the Bolts are a playoff team 
Reply/Quote
Taylor is in a make or break year no doubt about it. We need to win and win lots this year for him to stick around.

I agree that both teams are pretty equal besides coaching where there is a clear edge to the Chargers as of right now IMO.

I know Staley is in his first year but he has a better resume' than Zac had before we hired him.

We will see if the light comes on for Taylor, hopefully we win even more games this year then the Chargers.

Possible with the way we added to the trenches on both sides. Hard for any coach when you are that weak in the trenches
as we have been the last few years. Maybe with the moves everything comes together for Zac and company. Hope so.
Reply/Quote
I’m one that thinks the Chargers are a playoff caliber team going into this season.When you accomplish finding an Elite franchise Quarterback,as they have done,you’ve already won half the battle of setting yourself up as a playoff contender.I’m also optimistic when it comes to the Bengals.So I don’t take it as a knock against the Bengals for them making this claim.On paper the Bengals look every bit as good,if not better than the Chargers.All we need is for the coaching to put it all together.And I believe they will.Anyone has the right to place their opinions on a team.Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean they are right.So with that said,I think the Bengals will win 11 games this year.Make the Playoffs.And win their first Playoff game in like,thirty plus years.
Reply/Quote
Taylor sucks. He can stay long enough, with high draft picks, and make the team and himself better, or he can take the talent and drive it into the ground.
Reply/Quote
I can't blame anyone for not ranking the Bengals very high. As far as putting the Chargers up there, there's a hot team every year a preseason darling. Remember the Browns 2 or 3 years ago ? Everybody had them in playoffs and they won like 5 games.

Perhaps Chargers are this seasons sexy early pick ?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 09:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can't blame anyone for not ranking the Bengals very high. As far as putting the Chargers up there, there's a hot team every year a preseason darling. Remember the Browns 2 or 3 years ago ? Everybody had them in playoffs and they won like 5 games.

Perhaps Chargers are this seasons sexy early pick ?

Some folks were high on the 2019 Browns, but a lot of people were pretty sure Freddie Kitchens was going to suck as badly as expected.  Another hot take was that the Browns suddenly had too many big egos and big names on their team.  I thought that was a bit of a low-blow seeing as the Browns had been ragged on for decades for having no names and no talent on their team and being all the worse for it.

Actually, the 2019 Browns were probably like the 2019 Bengals in the sense that fans looked at a chaotic 2018 season that ended in 6/7 wins and thought there was "no way" they could replace their loser HC and get worse. I think people forget that we were supposed to be in win-now mode in ZT's first year. Dude was going to resurrect Dalton, use Mixon and Ross correctly, and blah blah blah.
Reply/Quote
Chargers are gonna be really good (unless Herbert has a sophomore slump). They don’t have many holes now that they added a bunch of pieces to their OL.

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 05:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Staley has never been a HC at any level.
Head coach. 

QBs are a wash. 
WR cores are equal. 

Hendrickson isn't Bosa. That's laughable. Austin Ekeler puts out collective to shame too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Than Zac Taylor.?
Than the Bengals.

Staley: Successful coordinator
Taylor: Unsuccessful coordinator

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 01:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Chargers have a young QB who seems to have "it" and paired him with a coordinator with a successful resume.  I wouldn't take it personally that there is optimism there.

I wouldn't take it personally at all.  Why does anyone care what the press thinks?  Just talking heads looking for rating, click bait or to talk up their local team.
Reply/Quote