Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Pelosi urges delay of State of the Union address
(01-17-2019, 04:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: the letter came after Scalise leaked the locations. 

Oaky...didn't see the news story about Scalise.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-17-2019, 03:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They will get  back pay though won't they?  I'm not saying that makes it OK, but it would be really bad if they didn't eventually get paid for working.

Yea, I'm pretty sure they will.
It won't help their ruined credit and may be a higher tax given it'll be a lump some, but they'll get their pay eventually.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
...like I said tit for tat.
It's actually pretty funny that Republicans are scrambling after saying Nancy and co shouldn't leave the country during a shutdown and when the media reminds them that Trump left the country during it to go to IRAQ, they seem stunned and unprepared for a response to that.

Sounds like a poorly planned attack and Trump set them up once again to look like fools.

By tonight, hopefully they get their talking points in order. What they are finding out as they remove their foot from their mouth is they don't think she or government officials should leave the country during a shutout isn't a good attack line.

But as it stands now, the talking points that if a government official leaves the country during a shutdown, they don't care about our borders, is going down in flames. Oops!

(01-17-2019, 04:57 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: If Trump still wants to hold a traditional State of the Union address could he not order the military to provide security for the event? I mean, he did order troops to the southern border didn't he?

He could order them to go stand around or do logistical support. The military is not allowed to engage in law enforcement within the U.S. borders. One of the reason sending troops to the border was a huge joke.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/10/31/federal-law-limits-what-us-troops-deployed-at-the-border-can-do/

Quote:That means the troops will not be allowed to detain immigrants, seize drugs from smugglers or have any direct involvement in stopping a migrant caravan that is still about 1,000 miles from the nearest border crossing.

Instead, their role will largely mirror that of the existing National Guard troops — about 2,000 in all — deployed to the border over the past six months, including providing helicopter support for border missions, installing concrete barriers and repairing and maintaining vehicles. The new troops will include military police, combat engineers and helicopter companies equipped with advanced technology to help detect people at night.

The extraordinary military operation comes a week before the Nov. 6 midterm elections as Trump has sought to transform fears about the caravan and immigration into electoral gains. On Tuesday, he stepped up his dire warnings, calling the band of migrants fleeing poverty and violence in Central America an "invasion."

"Our Military is waiting for you!" he tweeted.

R. Gil Kerlikowske, Customs and Border Protection commissioner from 2014 to 2017, said the military cannot stop asylum seekers who show up at border crossings to seek protection, and that Border Patrol agents have had no trouble apprehending people who cross illegally.

"I see it as a political stunt and a waste of military resources and waste of tax dollars," said Kerlikowske, who was at the helm during a major surge of Central Americans migrants in 2014. "To use active-duty military and put them in that role, I think is a huge mistake. I see it as nothing more than pandering to the midterm elections by the president."
So this was a weekend trip to meet with NATO leaders in Brussels and then the troops in Afghanistan.

Trump called it a "public relations event".   Mellow

Of course he went to see the troops...during the shut down.  Of course.

Also:

https://hillreporter.com/lindsey-graham-scolds-trump-for-his-inappropriate-letter-to-nancy-pelosi-21619

Trumps making significant missteps in this shutdown battle. He is dug so deep he can't find his way out, but continues to dig.

(01-17-2019, 06:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: So this was a weekend trip to meet with NATO leaders in Brussels and then the troops in Afghanistan.

Trump called it a "public relations event".   Mellow

Of course he went to see the troops...during the shut down.  Of course.

Also:

https://hillreporter.com/lindsey-graham-scolds-trump-for-his-inappropriate-letter-to-nancy-pelosi-21619

Not validating what Trump did, but Pelosi is 3rd in-line for the presidency now, so her security is vastly more important than the treasury secretary. Not that security was the real reason he cancelled the trip...
(01-17-2019, 08:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Not validating what Trump did, but Pelosi is 3rd in-line for the presidency now, so her security is vastly more important than the treasury secretary. Not that security was the real reason he cancelled the trip...

Welp, hang on!

The gang that couldn't shoot straight had made another move!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/17/government-shutdown-trump-cancels-u-s-delegations-trip-davos/2609097002/

Quote:The White House on Thursday announced that its U.S. delegation would not attend a high-profile economic conference in Davos, Switzerland due to the partial government shutdown, which in its 26th day shows no signs of ending. 

"Out of consideration for the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay and to ensure his team can assist as needed, President Trump has canceled his Delegation’s trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. 

Last week, Trump announced that he would not attend the World Economic Forum, a wonky-yet-glitzy annual event that draws many opponents of the president. 

In a post on Twitter, the president apologized and blamed his cancellation on Democrats, who he's been battling over $5.7 billion to construct a wall along the southern border. 

This is what happens when your leader reacts instead of acting...and when he does act its out of ego and not thought.
I'd give Nancy the same advise that I've given many: Be careful what you ask for.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-17-2019, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd give Nancy the same advise that I've given many: Be careful what you ask for.

Whoa.  Deep.

Rolleyes
(01-17-2019, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd give Nancy the same advise that I've given many: Be careful what you ask for.

Can I ask for two commercial tickets to Afghanistan?
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
I'm sure by now after watching the reaction and understanding the scope, Bfine realizes how significant of a misstep this is as the security planning/wasteful spending (billions) and our troops were hit hardest by this act of Trump. Nancy not so much.

It was the time it took to secure the location and the expectations of our Troops to receive some appreciation and care packages from congress that was sent from their families.

This after nearly all people affected by the shutdown are in GOP states and the small businesses are now turning on Trump as those who haven't got paid, haven't stopped at the restaurants and stores across from their jobs during lunch etc and those shops are losing money and shutting down as well. He's losing supporters by the day as his supporters have to eat at homeless shelters and the credit they worked so hard to keep good gets irreversibly damaged.

Also Trump in an unprecedented moment in history, outed the plans of a secret trip and jeopardized the safety of all on the ground to make it happen, and anyone trying to get in in the future. It was a ugly moment for Trump and he is getting slammed by both parties because of it.

Trump supporters (the ones still holding on, even if they won't admit to voting for him) are too concerned with trolling "libtards" and in the process has turned on America our Allies, and our Vets in an attempt to giggle at what they think hurts Nancy and co. Only people it's hurting is everyday people like us and our vets, allies, and Americas democracy.

I think yall may want to give up trying to troll liberals and focus on saving America.

(01-17-2019, 10:52 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Can I ask for two commercial tickets to Afghanistan?

To a warzone after the POTUS outed your trip, location, and whereabouts to ISIS.

Could you imagine if someone in Congress did that to Trump before his trip to a warzone?

Even Republicans can't defend this.

(01-18-2019, 10:29 AM)jj22 Wrote: To a warzone after the POTUS outed your trip, location, and whereabouts to ISIS.

Could you imagine if someone in Congress did that to Trump before his trip to a warzone?

But these aren't Republicans...they are Trump supporters. Mellow
True, so they'll giggle and wiggle over thinking it hurts "libtards".

To hell with our Troops and America when you think you can troll Nancy.

"be careful what you ask for Nancy".... Like she was going to this three country stop on her vacation mind you, at age 70+ because she wanted to see Afghanistan and risk her life in a warzone.

(01-18-2019, 10:29 AM)jj22 Wrote: To a warzone after the POTUS outed your trip, location, and whereabouts to ISIS.

What's ironic is Scalise, the victim of violence targeted against Congress, was the first to out her. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-16-2019, 03:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, the messaging on this is that she is asking him to delay or provide a written report. This isn't an ask. This is rescinding his invitation to speak on the floor of the House on 29 January, which means Trump cannot give the speech in person on that day unless the invitation is given again because of the government reopening in time.

An excellent point that was (deliberately?) omitted from OP.  It's rather odd that no one is commenting on this rather key difference in the way this was presented versus the reality of the situation.  Trump is bellicose and immature, that doesn't excuse equally immature behavior from others.  Well, apparently it does for some of us.
Well the fact remains outside of Trump supporter spin, the State of the Union is still set for 01/29/2019. Everything else they are pushing to excuse this blow to our troops and hard working service men and women whos life is at risk for these next 24 or os hours now that their location is exposed is Fake News.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/01/18/melania-trump-military-plane-florida-trump-canceled-nancy-pelosis-flight/23646250/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

When spa treatments are more important than bringing families care packages to our Troops.