Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Pelosi urges delay of State of the Union address
Now no one in congress can travel without white house approval.

Melania can go to FLA for her spa weekend though.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-18-2019, 03:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Now no one in congress can travel without white house approval.

Melania can go to FLA for her spa weekend though.  Smirk
This is good. Perhaps it'll expedite the public hearings we're going to have in the House here soon. I think a lot of Trump's inner circle have a lot of great insight to give to the American people about what has really been happening that past 2 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-18-2019, 12:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/01/18/melania-trump-military-plane-florida-trump-canceled-nancy-pelosis-flight/23646250/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

When spa treatments are more important than bringing families care packages to our Troops.

Nice spin.
However, Trump, Pelosi and McConnall should all be spending every waking moment tied together trying to get this resolved, not running off on a week long trip and stalling it.
Honestly I think Trump did her a favor. Had she went he could point out daily how she's not here negotiating and pointing out how she's wasting US Taxpayers money for a trip during the Shutdown.
No issues with letting the others go on the trip, but Pelosi should know better. It was a political stall on her part.

I wonder if Trump has the authority to issue an EO making sure that every member of the House and Senate show up Daily during a Shutdown. Any serious consequences for those that don't. Don't know about you guys, but personally I don't think any of them should be going anywhere during a Shutdown. When they do it's a slap into the face of all Citizens. And yes, I am aware that Trump left on Day 1 or 2, he shouldn't have, but there is a major difference between day 1/2 vs day 27.
(01-18-2019, 04:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I wonder if Trump has the authority to issue an EO making sure that every member of the House and Senate show up Daily during a Shutdown. Any serious consequences for those that don't. Don't know about you guys, but personally I don't think any of them should be going anywhere during a Shutdown. When they do it's a slap into the face of all Citizens. And yes, I am aware that Trump left on Day 1 or 2, he shouldn't have, but there is a major difference between day 1/2 vs day 27.

....that's not how the government works, Trump isn't the boss of congress which is kind of how we got in this mess in the first place.
(01-18-2019, 04:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Nice spin.
However, Trump, Pelosi and McConnall should all be spending every waking moment tied together trying to get this resolved, not running off on a week long trip and stalling it.
Honestly I think Trump did her a favor. Had she went he could point out daily how she's not here negotiating and pointing out how she's wasting US Taxpayers money for a trip during the Shutdown.
No issues with letting the others go on the trip, but Pelosi should know better. It was a political stall on her part.

I wonder if Trump has the authority to issue an EO making sure that every member of the House and Senate show up Daily during a Shutdown. Any serious consequences for those that don't. Don't know about you guys, but personally I don't think any of them should be going anywhere during a Shutdown. When they do it's a slap into the face of all Citizens. And yes, I am aware that Trump left on Day 1 or 2, he shouldn't have, but there is a major difference between day 1/2 vs day 27.

Nancy and co (House) has voted and passed many bills to reopen government. Making everything else you say fake news. Her job is done, and the Senate has the exact bill they passed 2 weeks ago. This is falling on Trump and McConnell at this point. That's why you don't see Nancy and Dems getting the blame.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(01-18-2019, 06:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Nancy and co (House) has voted and passed many bills to reopen government. Making everything else you say fake news. Her job is done, and the Senate has the exact bill they passed 2 weeks ago. This is falling on Trump and McConnell at this point. That's why you don't see Nancy and Dems getting the blame.

I hope those in the house and senate don't have this mentality; but unfortunately, they most likely do.

"We passed our Bill in the House, but the Senate will not pass it; so our work is done"

Who knows maybe it'd be a good idea to work on a Bill the Senate would pass. 

Also, I'm sure there are plenty that blame the Dems for the shutdown. Personally, I blame them both. 

At this point it's just a game. The 5.7 Billion Trump is asking for is about 0.1% of our annual budget. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-18-2019, 06:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope those in the house and senate don't have this mentality; but unfortunately, they most likely do.

"We passed our Bill in the House, but the Senate will not pass it; so our work is done"

Who knows maybe it'd be a good idea to work on a Bill the Senate would pass. 

Also, I'm sure there are plenty that blame the Dems for the shutdown. Personally, I blame them both. 

At this point it's just a game. The 5.7 Billion Trump is asking for is about 0.1% of our annual budget. 

The bill passed in the house had exactly what DJT asked for: 1.6 billion.  That McConnell refuses to put it up to a vote out of a fear of DJT's wrath is the problem.  A bill that was passed by the House when the GOP was still in control.

If Trump wanted 5.7 he could have asked for long before the bill was passed.

Color me stunned that you feel that Trump is not in the wrong and that you want to blame the Democrats for it ("dems") also.

You are that it is "just a game" though.  Trump is playing games with peoples livelihoods because some media people spoke ill of him.
That's the thing B, the Senate already passed the House bill 3 weeks ago. That's why Mitch won't bring it back up to vote. It's the exact same bill the Senate passed and sent the GOP led house (at the time).

That's why I don't agree with this statement.

If it was good enough for the Senate last month, then Mitch is the one playing games. This is what people are seeing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(01-18-2019, 07:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: The bill passed in the house had exactly what DJT asked for: 1.6 billion.  That McConnell refuses to put it up to a vote out of a fear of DJT's wrath is the problem.  A bill that was passed by the House when the GOP was still in control.

If Trump wanted 5.7 he could have asked for long before the bill was passed.

Color me stunned that you feel that Trump is not in the wrong and that you want to blame the Democrats for it ("dems") also.

You are that it is "just a game" though.  Trump is playing games with peoples livelihoods because some media people spoke ill of him.

Where the hell did I say Trump wasn't in the wrong? He should consent, put the folks back to work, and blame the Dems for every crime committed by a illegal immigrant. 

Then Dems should consent, give him his 0.1% of the annual budget, put folks back to work, and show how they are willing to cross the aisle for the good of the American people, and blame Trump for every illegal that crosses his wall. 

The GOP should agree to a Bill they agreed to about a month ago, show they are willing to cross the aisle to put folks back to work.

Color me stunned that you think it's all on Trump. 

(01-18-2019, 07:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: That's the thing B, the Senate already passed the House bill 3 weeks ago. That's why Mitch won't bring it back up to vote. It's the exact same bill the Senate passed and sent the GOP led house (at the time).

That's why I don't agree with this statement.

If it was good enough for the Senate last month, then Mitch is the one playing games. This is what people are seeing.

You know this, I know this, how many voters know this? I've said before the Senate show pass the Bill if it's the same one they voted for before, but they are not. So the Dems work is not done. 

(01-18-2019, 04:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Nice spin.

They tried. Trump said "no wall, no deal" and literally walked away.
There's not much negotiating that can go on when it's 'do what I want or I'll waste more time and money.'

Also, by design, Congress isn't supposed to be subject to punishments by cranky presidents. That's a lot too tyranical. 
(01-18-2019, 08:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Then Dems should consent, give him his 0.1% of the annual budget, put folks back to work, and show how they are willing to cross the aisle for the good of the American people, and blame Trump for every illegal that crosses his wall. 

Spending billions to placate dumb campaign promises are part of why nothing gets done, except borrowing lots of money 
(01-18-2019, 08:32 PM)Benton Wrote: Spending billions to placate dumb campaign promises are part of why nothing gets done, except borrowing lots of money 

I agree, here. What Trump should do, what would allow him to win this battle in the arena of public opinion, is if he agreed to no wall, just improved border security spending like everyone else seems to agree to, but to say he would veto any appropriations bills with pet projects for state or districts. There are so many projects given by Senators and Representatives that are unnecessary and are only intended to pad the pockets of donors in their constituency. If he was truly about the idea of "draining the swamp," that would be the approach to take.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-18-2019, 08:32 PM)Benton Wrote: Spending billions to placate dumb campaign promises are part of why nothing gets done, except borrowing lots of money 

Yeah, just look what's getting done now. 

Dems should give him the money. He should give them something back.

Because at the end of the day neither side cares enough to blink at the rising national debt for their spending desires.

Anyways, some good things might come of this shutdown. Look at things like TSA and the waste of money it is for the government. Like other countries are doing, the TSA should be privatized while getting the same results saving the taxpayers some coins. There are probably a few other things not operating at the moment that really, if we stop and think about it, is that particular department or service really needed?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

I think the lead was buried here. Did Pelosi suggest the Secret Service was not doing its job because of the shutdown?

Dems reject compromise before it is announced:
https://news.yahoo.com/why-democrats-said-no-trump-000859678.html;_ylt=AwrC0Sng2UVcdX4AUktXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZmNqNnM3BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQjcwMTNfMQRzZWMDc3I-

Quote:Lots of people are wondering just why Democrats rejected President Trump’s plan to reopen government agencies even before he announced the plan. House speaker Nancy Pelosi called it a “non-starter,” and Senate Democratic whip Dick Durbin rejected it even though, as the Daily Caller noted, Trump’s proposal to protect immigrant “Dreamers” from being deported “included everything” that Durbin had asked for “just over two years ago.”

The Washington Post editorial page, normally one of Trump’s harshest critics, was puzzled by the Democratic intransigence:

Anyone who sees the Dems as taking the higher moral ground in this standoff is showing bias. IMO both sides are now just being petty and playing with folks lives. There is no way that the Dems will ever support funding the wall; as it will be seen as a "Trump win". Border protection and government workers be damn...

(01-21-2019, 11:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Dems reject compromise before it is announced:
https://news.yahoo.com/why-democrats-said-no-trump-000859678.html;_ylt=AwrC0Sng2UVcdX4AUktXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZmNqNnM3BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQjcwMTNfMQRzZWMDc3I-

Anyone who sees the Dems as taking the higher moral ground in this standoff is showing bias. IMO both sides are now just being petty and playing with folks lives. There is no way that the Dems will ever support funding the wall; as it will be seen as a "Trump win". Border protection and government workers be damn...

Trump offered back what he already took away.

Quote:Trump’s pitching this as a compromise: He wants the wall, Democrats want to help DACA and TPS recipients. But the deal isn’t the result of conversations with Democrats. It’s reportedly the result of discussions that Vice President Mike Pence and presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner have had with congressional Republicans (most notably Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)).

And it shows. What Trump’s offering — temporary extensions of existing protections for both groups of immigrants — isn’t something that Democrats have been wildly enthusiastic about in the past. Furthermore, with Trump’s efforts to strip existing protections held up in court, it’s essentially a short extension of the status quo.

DACA recipients are currently being allowed to extend their protections for two years, just as they could under the Obama administration, while the administration fights in court to end the program. (People who don’t already have protections are no longer allowed to apply.) Without knowing when the Supreme Court will rule — or how the Trump administration will proceed if the Supreme Court agrees they can end DACA, since their original plan (issuing no renewals for expirations after March 2018) is obviously moot — it’s hard to say for sure that a three-year one-time extension will protect DACA recipients for longer than waiting for the Supreme Court.

Here’s what he offered Saturday:
  • $5.7 billion in funding for a physical barrier on the US-Mexico border. Trump’s not budging on this. The White House has already “conceded” that the barrier will be made of steel poles — which is what experts and border agents wanted anyway — rather than solid concrete. Per a letter sent earlier this month, the administration could build 243 miles of barriers with the $5.7 billion it’s requesting, most of which would be built in the Rio Grande Valley.’
  • Three years of temporary protections for DACA recipients. On DACA, Trump is embracing a version of Graham’s BRIDGE Act, which would extend DACA recipients’ existing deportation protections and work permits for three more years. (The original BRIDGE Act applied also to immigrants who were eligible for DACA but not currently protected.) In theory, Congress would use that time to work out a permanent solution for DREAMers; but the last time the White House tried that, by giving Congress six months to address DACA before sunsetting it entirely, the gambit did not succeed. During that debate in late 2017 and early 2018, many Republicans gravitated toward bills that would offer DREAMers access to permanent legal status and ultimately to citizenship — a more moderate approach than what Trump is offering now.
  • A three-year extension of protections for TPS holders. Trump is also offering to extend ( for three years as well) the legal protections that hundreds of thousands of immigrants have under the Temporary Protected Status program — which is supposed to allow people to stay in the US while their countries recover from war or natural disasters, but which, over the years, has allowed many people to stay and put down roots in the US. TPS, unlike DACA, grants official legal status, but it doesn’t offer any way to apply for a green card or citizenship. Trump’s efforts to end TPS for most countries are held up in a different court fight — so this proposal, like the DACA proposal, would essentially be a legislative extension of the current judicially-imposed status quo.

What needs to happen is the senate needs to pass the current bill and DJT needs to sign it to open the government.  Then they can negotiate a deal for border funding and immigration reform.

That is what logical people would do...separate Trump's pet project (campaign promise) from the everyday running of the country.

The biggest problem as I see it is that with Trump there must be a winner and a loser.  So if he gives in on anything less than the magical 5.7 billion he pulled from his rear he will be a "loser" so he won't "compromise" as much as he will make bad offers and blame the other side for not compromising.
(01-21-2019, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Trump offered back what he already took away.

What needs to happen is the senate needs to pass the current bill and DJT needs to sign it to open the government.  Then they can negotiate a deal for border funding and immigration reform.

That is what logical people would do...separate Trump's pet project (campaign promise) from the everyday running of the country.

The biggest problem as I see it is that with Trump there must be a winner and a loser.  So if he gives in on anything less than the magical 5.7 billion he pulled from his rear he will be a "loser" so he won't "compromise" as much as he will make bad offers and blame the other side for not compromising.

I'm sure you had the exact same mentality when the Dems would sign unless DACA was addressed and the GOP said not until a budget is signed.

But as I said anyone seeing the Dems as holding the higher ground in the situation is just showing bias. 

Do you really think Trump is more worried about looking like a winner than Pelosci?

(01-21-2019, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sure you had the exact same mentality when the Dems would sign unless DACA was addressed and the GOP said not until a budget is signed.

And you would be right.

(01-21-2019, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But as I said anyone seeing the Dems as holding the higher ground in the situation is just showing bias. 

I'm sure you think that. And you would be showing your own bias.

(01-21-2019, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you really think Trump is more worried about looking like a winner than Pelosci?

DJT is always worried about looking like a winner. That's his MO.

Read anything about him...or just listen to him.

Of course Pelosi wants to "win" also...but she doesn't have a history of calling the other side losers and claiming she has never failed.