Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Pelosi urges delay of State of the Union address
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/16/government-shutdown-nancy-pelosi-wants-delay-state-union/2591620002/

Quote:House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has asked President Donald Trump to reschedule his State of the Union address from later this month if the government remains shuttered – or deliver it in writing.

"Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29th," Pelosi wrote in a letter to Trump Wednesday.

The partial government shutdown is now on its 26th day, officially the longest on record in U.S. history. Trump has demanded $5.7 billion to pay for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and has vowed to veto any legislation that does not include the sum. Democrats oppose a wall and are refusing to appropriate the money.

Pelosi cites Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen's designation of State of the Union addresses as a "National Special Security Event," which require a high level of security. The Secret Service has been given responsibility for such events but the agency, along with the Department of Homeland Security, are both affected by the shutdown. 

View image on Twitter
[Image: DxCm6CZWwAIMdME?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[Image: LdvfQXtJ_normal.jpg]
[/url]Eliza Collins

@elizacollins1

Full letter from @SpeakerPelosi to @POTUS asking him to reschedule or write out his State of the Union given the shutdown.

[url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1085551079331426311]21
9:55 AM - Jan 16, 2019

The last president to only submit a written State of the Union was lame duck Jimmy Carter in January 1981, four days before he left office.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I don't think Donald Trump has the ability to write a coherent string of words, let alone a letter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-16-2019, 01:34 PM)treee Wrote: I don't think Donald Trump has the ability to write a coherent string of words, let alone a letter.

Or the ability to pass up a chance to be on television getting cheered.
(01-16-2019, 01:34 PM)treee Wrote: I don't think Donald Trump has the ability to write a coherent string of words, let alone a letter.

Stephen Miller is likely the principle author of whatever speech is being prepared. He'll likely write the letter if it comes to that.

As to the OP, her reasoning makes sense, even if it is mostly fueled by the other partisan reason of shutting down an outlet for him to get free press time for his claims that the Democrats are responsible for the shutdown. There is no requirement that he has to be present and be on TV.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Makes sense. No law requiring an address.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

So, the messaging on this is that she is asking him to delay or provide a written report. This isn't an ask. This is rescinding his invitation to speak on the floor of the House on 29 January, which means Trump cannot give the speech in person on that day unless the invitation is given again because of the government reopening in time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Who has time to tune into a state of the union address when we are all being overrun and terrorized by maniacs from Mexico? I plan to spend that day being murdered by an illegal, or working a 16 hour shift at my job so I can pay for his welfare checks. Hell, maybe I'll do both.
It should be delayed. Trump can't keep forcing people to work for no pay. It's bad enough the IRS has to, but I'm not complaining because I want that tax return.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
He should just give it from the oval office.

It will take less time without all the ridiculous rounds of applause from partisan congressmen.

Now that I think about it EVERY state of the union address should be from the oval office.
(01-17-2019, 02:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He should just give it from the oval office.

It will take less time without all the ridiculous rounds of applause from partisan congressmen.

Now that I think about it EVERY state of the union address should be from the oval office.

I disagree. The SOTU is an address to Congress, not the people. "He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information on the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient." I think a written report is fine, but if it is a speech it should be done in Congress.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I think this is a bad precedent and just furthering hyper partisan politics.
(01-17-2019, 03:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote:  I think a written report is fine.

Ready for the "State of the Union Tweet"?
(01-17-2019, 03:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I disagree. The SOTU is an address to Congress, not the people. "He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information on the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient." I think a written report is fine, but if it is a speech it should be done in Congress.

I'm with Fred.  Send a written report and address the people from the Oval Office.  Or do it in front of congress and don't televise it if that's legal, and make the written copy available.  I'll bet I haven't watched one since halfway through Bush 43's term.  I may have watched part of Obama once.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-17-2019, 01:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: It should be delayed. Trump can't keep forcing people to work for no pay. It's bad enough the IRS has to, but I'm not complaining because I want that tax return.

They will get  back pay though won't they?  I'm not saying that makes it OK, but it would be really bad if they didn't eventually get paid for working.

(01-17-2019, 03:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote:   I'll bet I haven't watched one since halfway through Bush 43's term.  I may have watched part of Obama once.  

I can't stand them.  They are nothing but political stump speeches with twenty long pauses for partisan ovations.

Total waste of time.
(01-17-2019, 03:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm with Fred.  Send a written report and address the people from the Oval Office.  Or do it in front of congress and don't televise it if that's legal, and make the written copy available.  I'll bet I haven't watched one since halfway through Bush 43's term.  I may have watched part of Obama once.  

He'd meet his constitutional requirement by submitting it in writing. He could then have a televised presidential address in which he gives the same information. He would just have to reword some things like the recommendations since the audience would be the public not Congress. 

That's his best bet. He just loses the pomp and circumstances. 

Trump has postponed Nancy Pelosi's planned congressional delegation trip to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan. He postponed all other delegation trips. The locations weren't publicly disclosed for security purposes until Steve Scalise told reporters.

Pelosi can of course still go, just not on a military aircraft.

(01-17-2019, 04:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump has postponed Nancy Pelosi's planned congressional delegation trip to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan.  He postponed all other delegation trips. The locations weren't publicly disclosed for security purposes until Steve Scalise told reporters.

Pelosi can of course still go, just not on a military aircraft.

Well except that DJT put it in the letter he signed.

His spelling of "madame" si interesting also.

Apparently she was supposed to leave at 3pm.
(01-17-2019, 04:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well except that DJT put it in the letter he signed.

His spelling of "madame" si interesting also.

Apparently she was supposed to leave at 3pm.

the letter came after Scalise leaked the locations. 

If Trump still wants to hold a traditional State of the Union address could he not order the military to provide security for the event? I mean, he did order troops to the southern border didn't he?