Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Patrick's Day
I have some 100% Irish friends (they claim) who, every year, ***** and moan about St. Patrick's day:

"We don't like green beer!"
"The Irish were treated as lazy when they came to America!  This is a stereotype!!"
"It's "Paddy's day" not "Patty's"!!!!"

It goes on from the beginning of March until at least the 19th.

I saw a new one today though.  A non-Irish friend posted that he wouldn't let his son wear green today because they are Italian and don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  He said he never did and in fact went to one bar years ago wearing clothes saying he was Italian and it pissed them off.

So I wrote "Happy Holidays" because he's big on you HAVE TO say "Merry Christmas" or it is disrespectful to his religion and heritage.  

Now he's mad at me.

Weird.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Seriously there are Irish people that complain? Lazy f***ers.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-17-2016, 01:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Seriously there are Irish people that complain?  Lazy f***ers.

Oh it's horrible.  The one kid went to the same college as me, a few years behind me.  He's insufferable normally but talk about the Irish?  He hates Lucky Charms cereal for stereotyping his heritage.   Mellow
(03-17-2016, 01:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh it's horrible.  The one kid went to the same college as me, a few years behind me.  He's insufferable normally but talk about the Irish?  He hates Lucky Charms cereal for stereotyping his heritage.   Mellow

Jesus.  I'm part Irish (all Irish name) and it never occurred to me.  My brother who   identified with the Irish part of us far more than I do had a sign that said, "God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world."  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

GMDINO Wrote:(*Thinking....)How can I make a thread illustarting how bigoted, ignorant, and racist Christans are and disguise it as something else; because I have been accused of using this as a common theme and I've laready started one overt thread on that today

I GOT IT!!!!!

GMDINO Wrote:I have some 100% Irish friends (they claim) who, every year, ***** and moan about St. Patrick's day:

"The Irish were treated as lazy when they came to America! This is a stereotype!!"

I saw a new one today though. A non-Irish friend posted that he wouldn't let his son wear green today because they are Italian and don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day. He said he never did and in fact went to one bar years ago wearing clothes saying he was Italian and it pissed them off.

So I wrote "Happy Holidays" because he's big on you HAVE TO say "Merry Christmas" or it is disrespectful to his religion and heritage.

Now he's mad at me.

Weird.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-17-2016, 01:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Jesus.  I'm part Irish (all Irish name) and it never occurred to me.  My brother who   identified with the Irish part of us far more than I do had a sign that said, "God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world."  

Smirk

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people get offended by anything anymore, it's just the amazing disconnect between one thing and the other and inability to see it that makes me shake my head.
I know folks of Irish heritage that hate it, and those that love it. Takes all kinds. I just like to poke fun at people because it's all about the green, but the color of St. Patrick is actually blue. The whole "wear your green" bit is about having shamrocks on you.

[Image: 1C5DB6FA00000578-0-image-a-11_1458118440699.jpg]

But I digress. I think the funniest St. Paddy's day I had was when a girl I knew was wearing orange and she said it was because she was Catholic. Mellow

That emoticon is a very accurate representation of the face I made at her before explaining the Orange Men of Ulster to her.
(03-17-2016, 01:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know folks of Irish heritage that hate it, and those that love it. Takes all kinds. I just like to poke fun at people because it's all about the green, but the color of St. Patrick is actually blue. The whole "wear your green" bit is about having shamrocks on you.

[Image: 1C5DB6FA00000578-0-image-a-11_1458118440699.jpg]

But I digress. I think the funniest St. Paddy's day I had was when a girl I knew was wearing orange and she said it was because she was Catholic. Mellow

That emoticon is a very accurate representation of the face I made at her before explaining the Orange Men of Ulster to her.

Yes there is really only one color that someone proclaiming their Irish Catholic heritage should avoid, and she nailed it.

As an Italian, he is most likely Catholic. Shouldn't he respect the feast days of all saints?

Also, a few years back, an Italian student had a shirt that said "Kiss Me I'm Irish". The "Kiss" and "Irish" were crossed off and "Blow" and "Italian" were printed next to it. I had a good laugh, took a pic, and told him to put his hoodie on.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-17-2016, 02:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: As an Italian, he is most likely Catholic. Shouldn't he respect the feast days of all saints?

Also, a few years back, an Italian student had a shirt that said "Kiss Me I'm Irish". The "Kiss" and "Irish" were crossed off and "Blow" and "Italian" were printed next to it. I had a good laugh, took a pic, and told him to put his hoodie on.

Very Catholic which why the whole "happy holiday's" thing kills him.  Plus it goes against his other religion:  hating liberals.
(03-17-2016, 01:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yes there is really only one color that someone proclaiming their Irish Catholic heritage should avoid, and she nailed it.

Unfortunately I doubt Matt got to "nail it" after critiquing her clothing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I don't see how this is any different than that day during black history month where we all wear $4 Wal-Mart dashikis and eat fried chicken until we vomit (because that's TOTALLY what black people do, you guys!) or that day where we all dress up like Nazis and start fights, or blah blah blah.

I do have to say it is interesting how certain cultures are more acceptable to be lampooned than others. There was an iPad commercial (I think) where where the guy kept putting on a stereotypical French-are-totally-rude-maitredes accent. It's sort of the same with acting like you are a stupid Italian chef who is right off the boat. Oh, I likea my pasta and a-pizza!

But we do feel the need to NOT have commercials/characters these days that use the whole "Oh me rikke flied lice" Chinese stereotype or the old Amos 'n' Andy black dialect. I'm not sure you'll see an iPad commercial where someone pretends to be an Al Jolson-era black guy "Oh I donna know nuthin about dem ipad, missa!" Again, I don't care, but I do find it amusing that the 3 nationalities I happen to be (well, I'm just a dumb ol' American mutt really) are the ones that are so acceptably mocked.
(03-17-2016, 01:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: I have some 100% Irish friends (they claim) who, every year, ***** and moan about St. Patrick's day:

"The Irish were treated as lazy when they came to America!  This is a stereotype!!"

I saw a new one today though.  A non-Irish friend posted that he wouldn't let his son wear green today because they are Italian and don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  He said he never did and in fact went to one bar years ago wearing clothes saying he was Italian and it pissed them off.

Now he's mad at me.

Weird.

Oh those wops causing up all kinds of trouble these days!

And the dirty micks puking in the street, no better than the krauts doing it in the fall. 
(03-17-2016, 04:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Oh those wops causing up all kinds of trouble these days!

And the dirty micks puking in the street, no better than the krauts doing it in the fall. 

Smirk

Reminds of the time I had to call an engineer about a problem at work. He's from England and was asking a lot of questions I didn't have the answer for because, well, I'm NOT an engineer.

I went to tell my boss, jokingly, that he was being a...and I couldn't remember the "slur" for an English person.  And I used to know them all when I was in high school and it was OK to tell jokes from the Totally Tasteless Joke books.  (Of which I had them all.)  As long as it was in the right group of people who understood you didn't MEAN to insult an entire race.  

We all did it.

Right?

Nervous

Anyway...I remembered it later.   Mellow
(03-17-2016, 03:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unfortunately I doubt Matt got to "nail it" after critiquing her clothing.

Which is fine, because I was nailing her best friend at the time.

Well, not at that moment. But you get what I'm saying.
(03-17-2016, 04:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Smirk

Reminds of the time I had to call an engineer about a problem at work. He's from England and was asking a lot of questions I didn't have the answer for because, well, I'm NOT an engineer.

I went to tell my boss, jokingly, that he was being a...and I couldn't remember the "slur" for an English person.  And I used to know them all when I was in high school and it was OK to tell jokes from the Totally Tasteless Joke books.  (Of which I had them all.)  As long as it was in the right group of people who understood you didn't MEAN to insult an entire race.  

We all did it.

Right?

Nervous

Anyway...I remembered it later.   Mellow
Right up there with the dead  baby jokes.

Hmmm..
Maybe  that's  how so many got desensitized  to abortion  ?
(03-17-2016, 05:18 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Right up there with the dead  baby jokes.

Hmmm..
Maybe  that's  how so many got desensitized  to abortion  ?

I was the king of dead baby jokes in high school. I have since retired from the game. I kind of shudder to think about some of the truly disgusting jokes I said back then.
(03-17-2016, 05:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which is fine, because I was nailing her best friend at the time.

Well, not at that moment. But you get what I'm saying.

that you and her friend stayed up late talking about clothing?
(03-17-2016, 05:29 PM)Benton Wrote: that you and her friend stayed up late talking about clothing?

I don't know enough about clothing to fill 15 minutes, let alone an all night conversation. LOL
(03-17-2016, 01:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh it's horrible.  The one kid went to the same college as me, a few years behind me.  He's insufferable normally but talk about the Irish?  He hates Lucky Charms cereal for stereotyping his heritage.   Mellow

I got a friend I went to college with who is like that too now. But not when we were in school. When we were in school, he'd be lining up with the rest of us to binge drink/puke green beer. Now, he has decided that his Irish heritage has become sacred. I'm like, "Dude. But we have heard the chimes at midnight!!!" (Nod to Shakespeare).

Actually, I just tell him "Oh, your Irish? Well I'm Scottish. Now go and piss off!" (spoken in an almost unintelligible brogue).

Typical modern Scotsman: says '****' more than Samuel L. Jackson!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]