Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Start AJ McCarron or Jake Browning
(10-02-2023, 09:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh so you haven't watched any games yet. I'll bring you up to speed.

Joe Burrow can't go under center because he can't backpedal out of there. Joe Burrow can't scramble or even juke and jive and avoid rush. Joe Burrow can't plant and throw the ball with any velocity at all. Joe Burrow can't run, at all. Joe Burrow struggles to throw the ball more then 5 yards past line of scrimage. Joe Burrow and this offense have zero threat to throw downfield and complete a pass.

Joe Burrow and this offense have only scored 3 points in two different games. They're averaging 12.25 points per game. They've yet to score a 1st half TD.
Joe Burrow has some of the worst stats in the entire NFL, and worst of his career.

So please explain to me how it's good to leave him in and not play one of the backups until Joe heals up and regains his confidence.

He's just a lamb to the slaughter now.

I say sit him for the year. I don’t think any of this if fixable with a weeks rest.

I’m in the if this couldn’t be fixed in 6 weeks…….. boat. I’m embarrassed for Burrow and rather him save face and maintain some sort of top 5 aura. The best bet is to call the season and get him right for 2024 before all hope is lost he’ll ever be the same. He’s taken enough heat. 

Zac going 2-15 without him yet again should force a shakeup in the Offensive staff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The silly part about Zac's answer is that we know Burrow hurt his calf. It's not a secret. If him saying Burrow is healthy enough is coach speak for thinking he's fooling the league from catching on to Burrow's limitations on the field then Zac needs to step up his gamesmanship to out plan the opponent.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The offense is even worse than this, ‘74.  The Charlie Jones run back for a touchdown doesn’t count in favor of the offense.  The offense scores 10.5 points per game.

Oh yes I forgot. But still we suck with Joe Burrow on the field as a shell of himself on the field. AmIrite?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 10:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The silly part about Zac's answer is that we know Burrow hurt his calf. It's not a secret. If him saying Burrow is healthy enough is coach speak for thinking he's fooling the league from catching on to Burrow's limitations on the field then Zac needs to step up his gamesmanship to out plan the opponent.

The only thing I can think of, that makes any sense, is that they're just keeping the Cards guessing as to who's our starting QB? It would just blow my mind if they really put a limping Burrow on the field Sunday. They're begging for him to go out on a stretcher if they do.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 11:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The only thing I can think of, that makes any sense, is that they're just keeping the Cards guessing as to who's our starting QB? It would just blow my mind if they really put a limping Burrow on the field Sunday. They're begging for him to go out on a stretcher if they do.

Oh...I think they'll start Burrow.

I don't know that he's as gimpy as the board thinks. I think he's sore, and it messed up his mechanics.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 04:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People will brush this off, but it's more than nothing. That is probably what got him a look in the first place. The guy can manage a game and bring some energy while letting Joe heal. I mean seriously, it'd be hard to be worse than Joe right now.

No doubt the XFL has inferior players, but it is difficult to say how bad the very best player in the XFL is... if you are going to play in the XFL and be the MVP you definitely might be able to play in an NFL game, along with 12 years of experience in the league.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 10:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: Zac going 2-15 without him yet again should force a shakeup in the Offensive staff.

Going without JB is a very good excuse to not fire people  JB playing hurt is also a good excuse to not fire anyone.  

Pollack shouldnt have a leg to stand on unless this oline group vastly improves. 

Callahan and Pitcher should not be held accountable until Zac turns the offense over to BC and he then fails.  Zac's play calling and offensive scheme resume was way below average before becoming the HC of the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 11:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh...I think they'll start Burrow.

I don't know that he's as gimpy as the board thinks. I think he's sore, and it messed up his mechanics.

The board thinks he's gimpy, but these same people also mocked folks for being dramatic about his injury after seeing him walk up a hill before practice so that's that... 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
IF ONE OF THE BACK-UP QB'S HAS A SOLID PRACTICE WEEK

In caps as a topic title, but put I put in this.

This team is not gong to get better until Burrow is healthy and can escape in the pocket and be elusive as he has been in the last 2 years. So Burrow will not be in practice much anyway. So IF one of the back-up QB's really looks good in practice this week to the coaches, I say go ahead and start him against Arizona. Only IF a back-up earns it in practice, otherwise you have to start Burrow.

The best thing right now would be to have a back-up look good in practice week and earn a starting spot. Let both of the back-ups work with the starters in practice. Then if one has a great week of practice, you start him with Burrow suited up on the bench if needed if this back-up looks awful in the game. Right now you can't look more awful than Burrow last week.

With a bye week in week 7. If a back-up can do well in practice and show he can start a game or 2, let Burrow rest that calf injury against Arizona and Seahawks in Cincinnati and bye week. Then hopefully have a more healthy Burrow ready to play like the star he is after the bye week.

Of course as I say, if the back-ups stink it up in practice week, then you have to start Burrow. I say give the back-ups reps with the 1st string and rest Burrow in practice, and see If any of these back-ups can cut the mustard in practice week. Make them earn it.

and I'll add. I'm old enough that I saw Joe Namath of bad legs. Sometimes Broadway Joe couldn't start the game, but in 4th quarter he could come in and beat teams with a game winning drive. So that is an option with Joe Burrow suited up on the bench as a back-up starts the game. Like a baseball closer in the bullpen if needed at the end of the game, and you just don't see the back-up starter winning in the last moments. Like Joe Namath, Joe Burrow comes in a few minutes, wins, and not much wear and tear on his legs doing just a relief role last few minutes.

Of course, if a back-up can beat Arizona and Burrow never plays, even better. The idea being that the Bengals can dominate after the bye week if Burrow gets healthy. This team is only as good as Joe Burrow is.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 06:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

As has been said:

Joe Burrow can't run, can't scramble, can't plant and push off on that leg. No zip on his throws. He can't backpedal out from under center, just on and on.

We have like 10 plays he can run from the shotgun and the opposing D is just set up for a field day. They're not afraid of nothing we can do. We can't throw long!!

It's a recipe for an even bigger disaster - Joe getting totally wrecked.

Im afraid hes already on the road to wrecked...from the looks of it
Coaches are dipsh$ts 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 04:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think you're being a little harsh on McCarron. He was a backup and spent a lot of that time injured, then forgotten and having to use the XFL to prove himself. I'm not saying the dude is going to save the season on a white horse, but I think we could do worse.

Oh don't get me wrong, something needs to change if Burrow isn't getting better. This is bottom tier garbage level of an offense right now, so no where to go but up. Now if McCarron was here in the offseason during camps and learning the playbook, I'd go with him over Browning. But I just don't have confidence in him in Taylor's offense with a limited playbook. Or I just don't trust Taylor when it comes down to it. But we do agree it can't be any worse but at least there is a chance of it getting better with a backup. I just don't think it's much of a chance but a chance is better than no chance right now. I do at least see that.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Oh don't get me wrong, something needs to change if Burrow isn't getting better. This is bottom tier garbage level of an offense right now, so no where to go but up. Now if McCarron was here in the offseason during camps and learning the playbook, I'd go with him over Browning. But I just don't have confidence in him in Taylor's offense with a limited playbook. Or I just don't trust Taylor when it comes down to it. But we do agree it can't be any worse but at least there is a chance of it getting better with a backup. I just don't think it's much of a chance but a chance is better than no chance right now. I do at least see that.

Fair enough. I guess if we're going to lose anyway, may as well be entertained, and I'm more interested in seeing if McCarron can offer anything as a backup than watching a 50% Joe Burrow limp through another 3 point game.

Just seems like a better story to me. One of hope rather than "oh, look, there's our broken QB throwing another 5 yard out".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 01:17 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. I guess if we're going to lose anyway, may as well be entertained, and I'm more interested in seeing if McCarron can offer anything as a backup than watching a 50% Joe Burrow limp through another 3 point game.

Just seems like a better story to me. One of hope rather than "oh, look, there's our broken QB throwing another 5 yard out".

I don't see why they can't let Browning and McCarron share reps in practice.  Burrow isn't going to practice much due to injury.  See which back-up has the best practice week and start him.  It's painfully clear that Burrow is too injured to play like Burrow.  Maybe some rest and Burrow comes back after bye week and looks like Burrow again.  Burrow just gave Bengals their best 2 back to back seasons in Bengals History, and every reason to think that if Bengals let Burrows calf injury heal, he will lead this team to many victories in the future, but not limping around as he is now.  I don't see why they can't let Browning and McCarron share the 1st string practice reps this week, and see who looks best.  Browning has the edge on the playbook, McCarron was Marvin's playbook which is long gone.  Still, give both a look see in practice and let the best practice week QB start this Sunday, and rest Burrow's leg because this team is only a good as Joe Burrow is.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote