Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Starting to Think We Go QB Early
(04-22-2019, 08:13 PM)HuDey Wrote: And just like that, Andy Dalton got a 10 year contract extension from the Cincinnati Bengals.

Sad thing is if the price is right old Mikey would jump on that deal.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2019, 08:13 PM)HuDey Wrote: And just like that, Andy Dalton got a 10 year contract extension from the Cincinnati Bengals.

I know I'm the pot-stirring type, but we've never seen Mike Brown voluntarily move on from a long-term starting QB, so unless ZT demands a new QB I can see Dalton getting another team-friendly deal or two.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 08:06 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: Bosa is going first overall. Bengals trade up to 5 and get Murray.

OR

Murray goes first and Haskins or Lock drop to 11.

WE ARE GETTING A QB in the first

I sure in the hell hope we don’t or it will become the re-do of the lost decade. A portion of it has happened by hiring an unproven coach. If they draft a QB and it is Haskins I am certain this team is repeating the lost decade with a very long stretch of losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting silly.  No one bought a ticket to watch the Bengals in 2003 because of Carson Palmer because Palmer did not play a single snap.  Fans got excited and bought tickets in 2003 because we won more than he had in a decade.  They were excited with JON KITNA starting at QB.

People around here have been saying for years that they would get the excitement back when we got a new coach.  But now that we have a new coach it has become "We have to have a new QB to get excited and sell tickets."

A new QB won't sell any tickets unless he wins, and if Dalton wins he will sell just as many tickets.  

Fred you are making the most sense than all of these Dalton haters. This team does not need to spend a high pick on QB. They need to get players to win and they can win with Dalton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I'm really starting to like Grier in Round 2.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 08:23 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm really starting to like Grier in Round 2.

His Senior bowl and testing was a$$. Hard pass for me.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 08:23 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm really starting to like Grier in Round 2.

I would be down for Grier in 2 but I have a feeling that someone snags him at the back end of round one.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2019, 05:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is possible that a QB taken at #11 would outplay Dalton.  Just like it is possible that a RB taken at #11 could outplay Mixon.  But I think taking a QB or a RB this year would be a waste because neither is a big need for us.

Fair enough, Fred.

Gotta say that I'd love to see them draft Haskins now just to see how you respond to it.

You would have to decide rather to rail against the move or to toe the company line in support of it just so you can go against anyone that criticizes the Bengals for drafting Haskins.

Me thinks you would turn on a dime in support of the Bengals Front Office drafting Haskins just so you could go after those that are against it in Posts/Threads going forward from the draft.

Just a hunch... Tongue
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2019, 07:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: QB is only a need for us when our starter demands a trade, though. 

Klingler was drafted before Boomer demanded a trade.
Reply/Quote
People will be surprised when both Devins go in the top ten and the Bengals draft Drew Lock.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Klingler was drafted before Boomer demanded a trade.

We will never know what was said, but it's possible Boomer made his dissatisfaction with the looming Mike Brown era known prior to that.  But I can't say I recall the specific sequence of events on that one, granted.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 11:08 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I've been reading a lot of draft reports.

Currently, WAS appears to be the favorite to land Rosen. This will probably change 189 times before an actual move is made, and it really doesn't matter unless the team who acquires him is CIN. Point is, if he is dealt, it removes one entry from the list of teams in the market for a QB.

So let's examine who could or should be considering QB in the 1st.

ARI - obviously all in on Murray
NYG - they should have done this 2 years ago but amazingly it's no sure thing they go QB with either 1st rd pick
DEN - This franchise desperately needs a QB and recent news has them zeroing in on Lock
MIA - Possibly the most qb-needy team in the draft
WAS - Discussed briefly above; they would no longer be here if the Rosen deal consummates
Other possibilities: OAK, GB, TB

So let's take WAS off the board for the time being and assume they trade for Rosen.

CIN picks at 11, 1 spot behind DEN, 5 spots behind NYG's 1st and 6 spots ahead of NYG's 2nd.
MIA picks at 13.

If GB/TB/OAK/Wildcard decide to go QB it probably won't be in the first round.

So with Murray off the board at 1 and assuming DEN takes Lock at 10 (which is a hell of an assumption), we're left with Haskins unless NYG takes him at 6, which no one seems to think will happen. Some noise out there that Haskins is slipping and may go 4th out of the 4 projected 1st round QBs (Murray/Lock/Jones/Haskins).

It's not outrageous to think that MIA or NYG (with their 2nd pick) could try to trade up with us to assure themselves of landing Haskins/Lock/possibly even Jones. If they don't trade up with us, they certainly could with someone else.

If one of those teams trades up and all the teams who could be looking QB draft that way, we'd still be looking at one of Jones/Haskins/Lock at 11, depending on which guys the other teams choose. That's worst case, and I don't think Jones is worthy of the 11th pick, but that's not the point of this post.

If more than one team trades ahead of us and a truly remarkable run on QBs occurs, taking all the 1st round-types off the board, we'd have some good options in the 2nd - most notably, my guy Will Grier.

However, if most of the prevailing mocks are correct, neither MIA nor NYG will address QB in the first. In a truly crazy world, DEN could punt with their pick as well, leaving us with 3 options at 11. If DEN takes Lock, we'd still be staring at Haskins and Jones.

I don't think Devin White will be there at 11. Jawaan Taylor is probably the best OL in the draft, and he'll be gone before we pick. Both Iowa TEs are off the board as we re-signed Eifert. If the non-qb route is chosen by the teams ahead of us or if someone trades up for someone other than a QB, players at other positions of need could be scooped up.

So we will likely have legit QB options staring us in the face with both our 1st and 2nd round picks. It's possible that we could have a choice of all 3 (Jones, Lock, Haskins) at 11 and I don't think we let that opportunity pass.

Even if we don't take one of them we'll still likely have Grier or another good QB waiting in the 2nd (Ryan Findley, possibly Jarret Stidham or they fall in love with that oaf from Buffalo).

Lot of mocks are trending this way for us as well.

I could seriously see the skins,fins,and somebody else asking to move up ahead of us and we should take that unless we are going after Haskins ourselves if he is still there,but I would bet big money the Gaints are taking him as they want him badly.If that happens and we are passing on him,lets get another 2nd and a third for a franchise qb.
Reply/Quote
Relying on predraft rumors is no way to run a railroad.. No team today would be the first to use misdirection on the draft front. They all want the best QB if that's their goal in the first round.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Walter Football's latest mock:

11. Cincinnati Bengals. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri.

If you've been following the site for a while, you know one of my favorite phrases pertaining to the NFL Draft: New regimes mean new quarterbacks. I've been saying that for so long because it's true. When a new regime comes into a team, it tends to obtain a new quarterback unless a great player at the position is already in place.

Andy Dalton is not a great player. He's as mediocre as it gets; he turns 32 during the upcoming season; and he's due an average of about $17 million per season over the next two years before his contract expires. Unless this new Cincinnati regime loves Dalton, I believe it will move on from Dalton in the next year or so. If Dwayne Haskins falls to the Bengals, it's very realistic that they'll select the Ohio State product, much like the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson last year. Joe Flacco played one final season with his team, and Dalton would do the same in this scenario before Haskins takes over in 2020.

Drew Lock has a great arm and can make any throw, but he really needs to work on his field vision and accuracy. He should probably be taken in the second round, but we've seen teams reach for quarterbacks over the years. And besides, teams like Lock's gritty attitude and work ethic. He loves football, so he'll try hard to improve his flaws.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#ixzz5m19LFY2x

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#OEOHtD6IU50Xzi4W.99
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 10:02 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Walter Football's latest mock:

11. Cincinnati Bengals. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri.

If you've been following the site for a while, you know one of my favorite phrases pertaining to the NFL Draft: New regimes mean new quarterbacks. I've been saying that for so long because it's true. When a new regime comes into a team, it tends to obtain a new quarterback unless a great player at the position is already in place.

Andy Dalton is not a great player. He's as mediocre as it gets; he turns 32 during the upcoming season; and he's due an average of about $17 million per season over the next two years before his contract expires. Unless this new Cincinnati regime loves Dalton, I believe it will move on from Dalton in the next year or so. If Dwayne Haskins falls to the Bengals, it's very realistic that they'll select the Ohio State product, much like the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson last year. Joe Flacco played one final season with his team, and Dalton would do the same in this scenario before Haskins takes over in 2020.

Drew Lock has a great arm and can make any throw, but he really needs to work on his field vision and accuracy. He should probably be taken in the second round, but we've seen teams reach for quarterbacks over the years. And besides, teams like Lock's gritty attitude and work ethic. He loves football, so he'll try hard to improve his flaws.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#ixzz5m19LFY2x

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php#OEOHtD6IU50Xzi4W.99

Wow! Where are they basing that on? Have we even met with Lock?? That would be shocking, to say the least.

Lock is the QB I wanted this team to draft at this time last year (thinking ahead a year). I wouldn’t hate it now, but we have more pressing needs. If Bush or Sweat is there, it’s gotta be one of those guys.
Reply/Quote
I keep thinking Sweat is going to free-fall a bit. That heart issue is a big red flag.

I do think Lock will be gone before we pick. Jones should be there.

I reiterate yet again I am not necessarily espousing the selection of a QB. Merely examining it. And if we go that route. Dan Jones would be the worst outcome. He's Bortles 2.0. See my apt comparison earlier in this thread.

I could be excited about Lock or Haskins. No Jones. But optimally I'd want Grier in the 2nd and Devin White in the 1st.

I have a feeling I'm not getting either.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I'm starting to think this is less likely. Dehner Jr. and Lapham have cooled me on the idea with their recent comments. Couple their comments with what Dalton has had to say, and I'm getting the sense that QB isn't as high of a priority this year as people have speculated. If the Bengals are sending QB signals at all, it's probably to get other teams to panic and jump on a QB and thus cause top defensive players to fall to them.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 11:39 AM)Big Boss Wrote: If the Bengals are sending QB signals at all, it's probably to get other teams to panic and jump on a QB and thus cause top defensive players to fall to them.

This
Reply/Quote
I could see us drafting a QB in round 1. If we do, it means we may be tanking 2019. If we also trade AD prior to start of the season, then I see a rebuild beginning.

What is the value of AD? I think he is #1 pick plus at least a 2nd round pick.

I like AD and think our fans love to find that one guy to trash and it has been AD for many, in past it was Peko, Rey M. and others.

I hope we make the right decision with the draft and roster, I am no expert so how can I be happy or sad after the draft.

My happiness is based on winning and winning only in 2019.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Right now I'd say Dalton's trade value is a third rounder at best. Maybe a second rounder if a team finds themselves desperate. Of all the teams in the NFL, the only one I could see calling for Dalton would be Washington because of the Jay Gruden connection. But Gruden himself may be out of town by this time next year.
Reply/Quote