Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Starting to Think We Go QB Early
(04-08-2019, 05:05 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It's awfully hard to ignore that guy when others continue to quote his posts. 

My bad
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I must say that based on most of your previous posts I am not surprised that you can not count to 4.

Completely unnecessary.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 05:04 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Grier is not Dalton 2.0. Grier has a stronger arm and is 3x more accurate as we sit and type (in other words, right now) than Dalton ever was. 

Why "3X"?

If you are just going to make up total BS why not say "1000X"?  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 04:36 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Please never include Dalton and Brady in the sane sentence again.  Thank you.

Sorry you can't handle the truth, but I can't stop posting just to protect you.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 04:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If your goal is to go 8-8, then Andy Dalton wasn't "bad."

Because you don't think Andy has ever been better than 8-8?

Hilarious 

Oh boy, that's a good one.

Aaron Rodgers is 10-12-1 as a starter over the last two seasons.  Marcus Mariota is 16-12.  Which one would you rather have at QB?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 06:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely unnecessary.

Completely true.
Reply/Quote
I do not see any signs at all we are going to go QB. Indeed all of the signs point to us going defense in Round 1 and Offensive Line in Round 2.

Lest we forget this is a WEAK QB class, and those who stated in forum that the top QBs this year would be Day 2 or later picks even in last year's middling class are IMHO correct.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather not draft a 1st rd. qb this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 11:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Disagree on Haskins.  While he might not have straight line speed, he is just elusive enough and keeps his eyes downfield and has the best vision in the QB class.  I hate to say it, but it reminds me a bit of Piggy how he will wait until a downfield option becomes available and will extend plays if his first read isn't available.  I would put him in the same mobility class as Dalton.  Good enough, but his arm talent and vision is outstanding.  

That being said, I think Murray, Haskins, and Lock are all gone when the Bengals pick.  I have no idea who Miami would want to trade up for at that point, so things could get interesting above #11.  It is all good for the Bengals.  If three QBs go early, then some outstanding defensive talent and offensive line talent might be there at #11. 

(04-08-2019, 11:36 AM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals are in a very good position to either Trade Up (for a QB or other player they really want) or Trade Down & get a sweet deal from someone.

I agree that all three of the QB's you mentioned will likely be gone when the Bengals pick which means they have to Trade Up if they really want one of those three.

Duke's Daniel Jones could still be on the Board when the Bengals pick. They could simply take him if he is their man or Trade Down with a team that wants Jones. (maybe trade down with the Giants to pick #17)

If Zac has some say on what they do (and is really an Innovator), then maybe we will see some maneuvering either up or down given that the Bengals are sitting in a decent spot for trading at pick #11.

To get good value for your slot, the Team that is picking after you, has to have a need for a player/position that others crave.

Since GB is picking after us, no QB needy Team will move to our spot. It will cost them less to move to 12 than 11.

like any other sector, there is a lot of propaganda to create panic. Teams will pay these draft "experts" to project players to certain Teams that are picking immediately after them, to increase trade value for their slot.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that Denver is behind the Bengal interest in QB mocks.

Anyway, since GB has Rodgers, unless a Josh Allen, Ferrell or Bosa fall past Denver, it will be tough for us to get good value in a trade back.
Reply/Quote
I honestly can't see us taking a QB before the 4th, I just think the organisation and Zac are totally happy with Dalton this year.
If we wait until later I think Jarrett Stidham could be a good shout to come in and sit behind Dalton for a season and if Dalton busts this season we grab a QB in the 1st round next draft
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 06:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely unnecessary.

(04-08-2019, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Completely true.

I agree with you two. It is completely true that it was completely unnecessary. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think we go QB.

If three QBs are already off the board we better not take number 4.  If 3 QBs are taken in the top 10 then there will be some VERY good tlent left for us at other positions.

I agree! When we are picking that high and some talent is pushed down because QBs are overdrafted then we are best off going for the talent, regardless of position. But it just so happens that we have needs at multiple positions and we might be able to match high talent with high need.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 07:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: I do not see any signs at all we are going to go QB. Indeed all of the signs point to us going defense in Round 1 and Offensive Line in Round 2.

Lest we forget this is a WEAK QB class, and those who stated in forum that the top QBs this year would be Day 2 or later picks even in last year's middling class are IMHO correct.

What signs point to this? A bunch of talking heads saying we are going to?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:04 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I think it would be a terrible move to draft a QB first round when the defense is the obvious glaring hole on this team. We were torched repeatedly on third and long last season because we couldn't cover anyone with a LB in the middle of the field. We didn't address the need in the FA market, now we have to address it.

I am not saying ignore the QB future, but QBs can play into their 40s, Dalton is 32. We are not pressed to make that decision until next year when Dalton is up for contract.

If this team does not make marked improvement in the defensive personnel, expect a season no better than last year.

I’d rather see the team fix the lines/LB positions this year then go after a QB in the next two years.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 08:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: What signs point to this? A bunch of talking heads saying we are going to?

It's not just media bs to think a team with a new offensive minded HC would want to draft his own guy when the current starter is over 30 and has no SB rings.  But we probably just take the best LB or O line man possible, too. 
Reply/Quote
Chiefs had Alex Smith and drafted Mahomes anyway.. Alex Smith was a good QB for them but he wasn't elite, you need elite to win a SB unless you have a great defense and we don't.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:33 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am a Dalton fan but would have no problem with the Bengals taking Dwayne Haskins at #11. Any team taking a QB above us that does not select him are fools. He is a special talent and is going to be an outstanding QB in the NFL. Not to mention he is a quality young man.

I believe Denver takes Locke because Elway sees much of himself in him. They wont take Murray because of his height. I just hope Murray is off the boards for the Bengals so that it is not even a discussion that has to take place.

I suspect he is going to drop more than predicted. Most teams who pass on him are probably scared to make the mistake of drafting him because of his height than take the risk of drafting him and come out like geniuses.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 12:55 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Not a bunch. We all want White but I see no way he drops to us.

And folks, I did not write this post to advocate taking a QB at 11. I don't necessarily think that's the right move, although I do want Grier in RD 2. 

Just reading the tea leaves a bit. 

Funny, I made a very similar thread in the draft forum the other day, and I don't really think it's the right move either, but it's just a gut feeling I have.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It all depends on who's there at 11. If Haskins is there you do not hesitate.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 11:36 AM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals are in a very good position to either Trade Up (for a QB or other player they really want) or Trade Down & get a sweet deal from someone.

I agree that all three of the QB's you mentioned will likely be gone when the Bengals pick which means they have to Trade Up if they really want one of those three.

Duke's Daniel Jones could still be on the Board when the Bengals pick. They could simply take him if he is their man or Trade Down with a team that wants Jones. (maybe trade down with the Giants to pick #17)

If Zac has some say on what they do (and is really an Innovator), then maybe we will see some maneuvering either up or down given that the Bengals are sitting in a decent spot for trading at pick #11.

I don't think it says he isn't an innovator if they stay put at #11.  I loved what they did last year with Buffalo...essentially turning our first pick in to two players (and starters at that), but there is likely going to be a huge (potential) upgrade available at RT or a top-tier defensive linemen.  

We have been talking about Ed Oliver and "The Devins" a great deal, but it wouldn't be that surprising if a top DE talent slid to them and they took that player.  Getting pressure on the opposing QB is always the goal, and there could be a top talent fall to the Bengals at #11.

At the same time, if the Bengals could trade that pick (to someone targeting a DE) and still get a Devin Bush or even Dexter Lawrence and an additional second rounder it would be hard to pass up. 
Reply/Quote