Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Starting to think the NFL is rigged
(11-01-2021, 01:12 PM)fisherscatfan Wrote: Yes the Jets are 3-0 in games he refs.  Their winning percentage over that period when he doesn’t ref their games is 32%.  The Bengals are 0-4 in games he refs.  Based on this link.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/officials/Trip0r.htm

(11-01-2021, 04:09 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Things that make you go hmmmm…

That IS pretty damning evidence.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 04:47 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Some of you people need to take a couple plays off. NFL is rigged...jeesh.

It's inevitable.  First comes 'the refs are out to get us,' which then evolves into 'the entire league is out to get us.'  

Like, the owners are all sitting around in a smoke-filled basement Saturday night, when one of them turns to Mike and says "Mikey boy, you ready for your team to play patsy again this Sunday?  They should crush the Jets, sure, but we can't let your small market team roll a team in the media capitol of the world, now can we?  What will it take to make you happy this time?"

"Well, fellas, just as long as I have enough to cover my nut for the week, I'll be good.  And, of course, enough left over so I can get my traditional late-Sunday dinner of a single Wendy burger and cup of water.  Oh, and enough for a Mike's car wash, too.  Since I won't get a free wash for a Bengals win, I'll have to pay to get the Caprice washed."

And, end scene.

Rolleyes
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 09:49 AM)grampahol Wrote: The NFL itself argued in court and won that they can script games and it is nothing more than entertainment. 

You are now the 2nd person I've seen make this claim, but I've never heard of it.
Do you have verifiable sources/links?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 08:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Rigged?  No.

Were the Bengals inadequately prepared?  Yes.

Yup.

When I see guys bring steel chairs out from the benches and good Ole JR screaming business is about to pick up, then I'll buy the hype of the games are fixed.

I know in the past in the heat of the moment I've questioned this same thing but there are so many people that would have to be in on it to fix a game and someone would have spoken up by now for the payday. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 01:12 PM)fisherscatfan Wrote: Yes the Jets are 3-0 in games he refs.  Their winning percentage over that period when he doesn’t ref their games is 32%.  The Bengals are 0-4 in games he refs.  Based on this link.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/officials/Trip0r.htm

So there are three options. 

Dude is on the take which has happened with NBA officials. 

Weird coincidence which in a small sample size is possible especially considering the Bengals being 0-4 over the past 5 years shouldn't surprise anyone.

Three and this is one where you need more data. Is it possible that he calls a game a certain way (like a home plate ump in baseball) and what he calls a lot of is something that in one team's play style is more obvious to see. Nothing wrong with this option just becomes something a team needs to be aware of as it prepares that week.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 06:20 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So there are three options. 

Dude is on the take which has happened with NBA officials. 

Weird coincidence which in a small sample size is possible especially considering the Bengals being 0-4 over the past 5 years shouldn't surprise anyone.

Three and this is one where you need more data. Is it possible that he calls a game a certain way (like a home plate ump in baseball) and what he calls a lot of is something that in one team's play style is more obvious to see. Nothing wrong with this option just becomes something a team needs to be aware of as it prepares that week.

I’d like to see a full replay with the official in view. The claim has been made that this official in question was grabbing for the flag before the hit was even made as if the decision to call a penalty there was a decision he had already made up in his mind.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 05:32 PM)Tomkat Wrote: You are now the 2nd person I've seen make this claim, but I've never heard of it.
Do you have verifiable sources/links?

I think they are confusing it with when the WWF came out and admitted it was entertainment rather than sports so they would not have to be regulated.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 07:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think they are confusing it with when the WWF came out and admitted it was entertainment rather than sports so they would not have to be regulated.

Yes, they wanted to be able to push/advertise story lines, that only "sports entertainment" can do, I guess.

One thing from the league perspective that could happen is the refs could attempt to manipulate games.

To me, when there's so much money in a business, there's always someone trying to cheat (whether it be management, or players).

Like Belichick said, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Just look at some of you coworkers, step on others to try and make more.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 05:29 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It's inevitable.  First comes 'the refs are out to get us,' which then evolves into 'the entire league is out to get us.'  

Like, the owners are all sitting around in a smoke-filled basement Saturday night, when one of them turns to Mike and says "Mikey boy, you ready for your team to play patsy again this Sunday?  They should crush the Jets, sure, but we can't let your small market team roll a team in the media capitol of the world, now can we?  What will it take to make you happy this time?"

"Well, fellas, just as long as I have enough to cover my nut for the week, I'll be good.  And, of course, enough left over so I can get my traditional late-Sunday dinner of a single Wendy burger and cup of water.  Oh, and enough for a Mike's car wash, too.  Since I won't get a free wash for a Bengals win, I'll have to pay to get the Caprice washed."

And, end scene.

Rolleyes
I’m not willing to say that the league is fixed but why is it so hard to think there is a bias.  Mike Brown has historically been a pain in the ass owner to the league—often being a contrarian on league votes.  Goodell is a vindictive prick.  You really believe this Gruden stuff wasn’t a Goodell vendetta?  Not in any way defending Gruden, but nobody can seriously believe he is the only guilty party here.   Why is it difficult to believe the NFL has targeted the Bengals and Mike Brown?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 08:16 PM)fisherscatfan Wrote: ...Why is it difficult to believe the NFL has targeted the Bengals and Mike Brown?

It really shouldn't be, for the reasons you've mentioned.  I imagine that the NFL considers the Bengals a thorn in it's side... a pain in the ass, etc.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 09:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Everyone gets a big payout to suck at their job except me.  I suck for free. 

[Image: ezgif.com-resize-1.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 09:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So were we paid to lose to the Jets or were the Ravens paid to lose to us?  Is Burrow pissed his defense lost on purpose?  Do you think he demands a trade to the Saints, or was he paid to throw that back breaking INT?

Am I being paid by the NFL to argue against the league being rigged
?  

Yep and you probably have a secret super-cool hand shake with Roger too.

[Image: hug17_medium.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's not rigged, but it's way too subjective. The rules are hard for even the league to explain, which is obviously problematic.

There are hits all game where there's contact between 2 players involving the helmet. It's almost as silly as holding at this point. OL hold all game and don't get called, then they do and can't figure out why.

I'm not saying that the enforcement is necessarily selective, but it's very prone to being impacted by a bad or "influenced" official. The league doesn't want the games slowed down by officials calling every tick tack thing they see, but how do they determine where the line between that and a penalty-worthy offense is drawn? They can't, It's all in the hands of an official who may or may not get the Jesus in him and throw a flag that he hasn't thrown all game on an offense that's been occurring all game.

I'm not saying there's foul play involved, but the system is very susceptible to it by nature. Just call things when you feel like it. What's anyone going to do about it?
Reply/Quote
lol…y’all are wild.

It’s a big rigged conspiracy featuring thousands of willing participants that have all magically kept their mouth perfectly shut about it for decades. Because the Bengals lost to the Jets.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 08:16 PM)fisherscatfan Wrote: I’m not willing to say that the league is fixed but why is it so hard to think there is a bias.  Mike Brown has historically been a pain in the ass owner to the league—often being a contrarian on league votes.  Goodell is a vindictive prick.  You really believe this Gruden stuff wasn’t a Goodell vendetta?  Not in any way defending Gruden, but nobody can seriously believe he is the only guilty party here.   Why is it difficult to believe the NFL has targeted the Bengals and Mike Brown?

If you honestly believe this is true, then your only logical choice is to stop rooting for this team since we'll never win a championship and will always get screwed over.  That's no sort of team I'd root for.   Plenty of other teams to choose from that aren't being targeted, I would imagine.  Or, maybe not, I guess I'm not sure how wide the conspiracy is.

(11-01-2021, 08:57 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: lol…y’all are wild.

It’s a big rigged conspiracy featuring thousands of willing participants that have all magically kept their mouth perfectly shut about it for decades. Because the Bengals lost to the Jets.

Amazing, isn't it, the lengths some people will go to rationalize their favorite team losing to a lousy team?  Like that doesn't happen all the time in sports.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Anyone want to take a guess at how much money was wagered on this game? Burrow vs White.. Bengals heavily favored on a tare..Jets looking like dead ducks.. Bengals D laid an egg mixed in chicken shit while the no name rookie comes out looking like the next coming of Tom Brady right after being terrible the week before in the nations largest TV market.. Nothing personal to you true believers out there and bless you for it, but there's just to much coincidence here to make me believe there's nothing to see here..Move along..Nothing to see here.. Hilarious
You want coincidence? Joe Burrow and my grandson's voices sound almost identical. The Bengals defense looking like the lost tribe of the Amazon deciding to play football for the first time in their lives..Coincidence?  I think not.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 09:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: ...there's just to much coincidence here to make me believe there's nothing to see here..Move along..Nothing to see here.. Hilarious

Yea, while I believe the games aren't outright pre-determined or RIGGED, (there are too many people involved to pull that off) there are way too many ways to subtly "influence" a game for me to just outright dismiss that possibility.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 09:46 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: If you honestly believe this is true, then your only logical choice is to stop rooting for this team since we'll never win a championship and will always get screwed over.  That's no sort of team I'd root for.   Plenty of other teams to choose from that aren't being targeted, I would imagine.  Or, maybe not, I guess I'm not sure how wide the conspiracy is.

Amazing, isn't it, the lengths some people will go to rationalize their favorite team losing to a lousy team?  Like that doesn't happen all the time in sports.

Mike Brown won’t own forever.  

Goodell is a solid guy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/10/26/roger-goodell-nfl-protecting-women-washington-football-team-investigation-emails/8560711002/
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 02:38 AM)Trademark Wrote: There's no other way to explain the loss to the Jets. You mean to tell me this defense that has played fantastic all season all of the sudden forgot how to play? It's like it was scripted for the Bengals to lose so they wouldn't be the number 1 seed in the AFC anymore, also that helmet to helmet hit penalty was garbage

It's called 'they're all grown men getting paid to be professional athletes and sometimes the team that thinks they're better, doesn't prepare, focus and execute as well as they would have if they had taken the other team seriously'. 

Simple as that. The NFL isn't rigged. And i know that because they paid me to say it. It's all a big conspiracy. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
So I did a little deep diving into the internet to try and find the source of this "Sports Entertainment" idea versus the NFL as a sport.

What I found is that most of these stories come from a court case in 2010 over a lawsuit about apparel licensing.

You can google the case and find the transcript of it (I don't recommend that it's boring as hell) but here are some links that highlight the results:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/24/nfl.lawsuit/index.html

https://www.nfl.com/news/supreme-court-denies-nfl-s-request-for-broad-antitrust-protecti-09000d5d8184a051

In the case the league was calling itself a single sports entertainment entity. This was saying that all 32 teams were working together for the common goal of the league and its' quest to make $$$$.

While that may the true the Supreme Court said, "No" and that was because --- "the Supreme Court has rejected extending single-entity recognition to other kinds of sports leagues. In 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 9-0 decision, held that the NFL is not a single entity for business purposes because NFL teams are individually owned and to some degree autonomous."

Can find more about that from the article about the XFL where they did classify themselves as a single-entity sports league:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/26/xfl-single-entity-sports-leagues-advantages-drawbacks

All it in all, the league is not classified as "sports entertainment" it is classified as a Professional Sports League, same as MLB, NHL, MLS and the NBA.

So all this stuff came from a court case where the NFL basically wanted to do things its' own way and save money and not have to answer to anyone, but it is not classified that way per the Supreme Court.

Reply/Quote