Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Union
I was in a meeting and didn't get home until almost 9 and then had things to do.  Did anyone waste their time watch?

I do try to watch at least the first of each new POTUS...sometimes I watch others if I feel like, but in general I don't like them as they end up being campaign speeches with some pandering. (ok, a lot of pandering.)

Here's the fact check from last night though.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/feb/05/fact-checking-state-union-2019/
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Both CBS and CNN had polls out with the results around 75 percent positive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Had to be more entertaining than the Super Bowl.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Quote:"Year after year, countless Americans are murdered by criminal illegal aliens."

We can’t specifically document how many U.S. citizens have been killed, because there is no national database on murders committed by immigrants in the country illegally.

So technically correct. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-06-2019, 10:57 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Both CBS and CNN had polls out with the results around 75 percent positive.

That's no surprise.  I'd imagine most people watching support Trump anyway.
(02-06-2019, 11:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So technically correct.  LOL

I suppose!  Smirk
Rick Santorum called it Trump's worst delivered speech

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/428680-cnns-santorum-calls-sotu-address-the-worst-delivered-speech-ive-heard-donald?fbclid=IwAR3XuAsvC8sxleliipRuozuf9vsrXc-hKXfO4JHMO97m3LUcVt2F-FlAve4

Quote:the speech was “light on domestic policy” and “not a big speech.”

“This was probably the worst delivered speech I’ve heard Donald Trump give,” Santorum, a CNN contributor, said. “He ran over his lines, he mixed up, he didn’t deliver his punchlines, he would deliver a line and go to the next issue, and I don’t think he even realized he was moving on to the next issue ... Someone didn’t do a good job of breaking his speech so he knew what to do. That was the problem.”

"In an hour and half, Donald Trump proposed eight domestic policies,” Santorum added. “Eight! And two of those eight were child cancer and AIDS. So this was not a big speech.”
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-06-2019, 11:48 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Rick Santorum called it Trump's worst delivered speech

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/428680-cnns-santorum-calls-sotu-address-the-worst-delivered-speech-ive-heard-donald?fbclid=IwAR3XuAsvC8sxleliipRuozuf9vsrXc-hKXfO4JHMO97m3LUcVt2F-FlAve4

Eight sounds a little realistic as opposed the laundry list of fantasies we usually hear.  

dude kept his teeth in and sniffles to a minimum. maybe thats why it was so low energy.
(02-06-2019, 01:00 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: dude kept his teeth in and sniffles to a minimum.  maybe thats why it was so low energy.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c5b05684836754e4d6e368c]
I thought it was entertaining at times, respectful at times, and sickening at times.

Entertaining: The new females in Congress partying

Respectful: Tribute to WWII veterans and POW

Sickening: POTUS bringing up investigations and being adamant about a wall.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-06-2019, 11:48 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Rick Santorum called it Trump's worst delivered speech

Wait, he was proposing childhood cancer And aids? The monster 
(02-06-2019, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought it was entertaining at times, respectful at times, and sickening at times.

Entertaining: The new females in Congress partying

Respectful: Tribute to WWII veterans and POW

Sickening: POTUS bringing up investigations and being adamant about a wall.

That was literally exactly my take on it.

Except for mentioning the investigations, I pretty much could have guessed about 90% of what the POTUS was going to say before he said it. Same with the Dem responses.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-06-2019, 02:28 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: That was literally exactly my take on it.

Except for mentioning the investigations, I pretty much could have guessed about 90% of what the POTUS was going to say before he said it. Same with the Dem responses.

Did you know that we would be in a war with North Korea RIGHT NOW if he had not been elected?
His ability to SLOWLY read words off of a teleprompter is probably the best I have ever seen. And he can just do it mindlessly like he doesn't even know what he is saying. Really it is impressive.

Honestly though. Its a shame that this is the best we get. A lifelong conman up there who married and hired immigrants preaching the danger of them. A guy who dodged the draft praising others military service. A guy who takes great pride in being a tax cheat praising tax laws.

I always watch SOTU. I usually feel a swelling of pride and patriotism. It just doesn't work for me when I watch this poser.
(02-06-2019, 10:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: I was in a meeting and didn't get home until almost 9 and then had things to do.  Did anyone waste their time watch?

I do try to watch at least the first of each new POTUS...sometimes I watch others if I feel like, but in general I don't like them as they end up being campaign speeches with some pandering. (ok, a lot of pandering.)

Here's the fact check from last night though.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/feb/05/fact-checking-state-union-2019/

The message I got was that Trump was emphasizing compromise and unity, asking us to put aside divisions and partisanship, and

to aspire to greatness as a nation by working together to build the wall and end the Russia investigation.
(02-06-2019, 02:58 PM)Dill Wrote: Did you know that we would be in a war with North Korea RIGHT NOW if he had not been elected?

I would actually be in favor of going to war with them. Of course, it would also mean Armageddon since China and Russia would get involved and side with NK. That's okay. As long as we don't attempt to invade either of those two, we could beat them, IMO.

Be that as it may, I don't think you should ever threaten unless you are willing to walk the walk.

(You've managed to switch on my "hawk" button this morning! LOL!)
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
[Image: 51633378_3034259913251633_50386580545816...e=5CF72CAB]

Caveat:  Maybe she isn't part of the ACA...however the current administration has proposed nothing to replace it and is trying to end the preexisting conditions part of it.  i.e. They don't care about her healthcare.
(02-06-2019, 03:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 51633378_3034259913251633_50386580545816...e=5CF72CAB]

Caveat:  Maybe she isn't part of the ACA...however the current administration has proposed nothing to replace it and is trying to end the preexisting conditions part of it.  i.e. They don't care about her healthcare.

POTUS specifically mentioned finding a way to address pre-existing conditions last night. He actually mentioned a few left-leaning measures to include prison sentance reform for drug related charges.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-06-2019, 04:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: POTUS specifically mentioned finding a way to address pre-existing conditions last night. He actually mentioned a few left-leaning measures to include prison sentance reform for drug related charges.

Did he?  Well good for him.  Perhaps a good first step would be to stop suing to get rid of that bit of the ACA.