Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Statement from Mike Brown (Zac is back)
(01-04-2021, 11:39 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That's a very odd way for him to start his official statement ("Our fans wanted a fresh new direction two years ago").

There is no doubt the fans wanted change at that time, he's not wrong about that.  But it almost reads like "You wanted change, well you got it".  

The reason I say this is because it's strange he didn't see the word "we" in there.  As in "we wanted a fresh new direction".  Did the Brown family not want this change, are we not all in this together.

Rarely do you hear teams speak in this way.  Even if moves are made with the fans wishes in mind they don't present changes made in that manner.

It reeks of a lack of accountability; it's an excuse to stick with Zac because the Brown family doesn't want to pay Zac to not be a coach if fired.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:39 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That's a very odd way for him to start his official statement ("Our fans wanted a fresh new direction two years ago").

There is no doubt the fans wanted change at that time, he's not wrong about that.  But it almost reads like "You wanted change, well you got it".  

The reason I say this is because it's strange he didn't see the word "we" in there.  As in "we wanted a fresh new direction".  Did the Brown family not want this change, are we not all in this together.

Rarely do you hear teams speak in this way.  Even if moves are made with the fans wishes in mind they don't present changes made in that manner.

I read into that as well, meaning he didn't want to get rid of ML.  I think those two were really really close and it was probably one of his hardest decisions.  And rightfully so... ML basically resurrected a dead Bengals team.  Prior to ML we were absolutely the laughing stock.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:37 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Kyle Shanahan

2019 NFL Coach of the Year. 13-3 Super Bowl
2020 Injuries up and down the roster. One (1) less loss the Bengals.
DC is getting head coach interviews.

ZT 2019 & 2020 injuries up and down the roster. No training camp for a decidedly young team.

Do any of you really think ZT has been given a chance to show what he can do? I don’t. I don’t really think anyone could make that call. Maybe he is good or maybe he is bad. I’d like for just once for the Bengals to have a season of health. It’s been a while.

Can’t rely on health. That’s why depth and scheme are so important. Bad coaches get exposed when there are injuries. Good coaches find avenues to still be competitive despite the missing players.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:41 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Can’t rely on health. That’s why depth and scheme are so important. Bad coaches get exposed when there are injuries. Good coaches find avenues to still be competitive despite the missing players.

That's a completely fair statement.  But context is important.  The Bengals absolutely have a much better depth right now (and it shows based on being competitive with backups) than they did when ZT walked in the door.  I think he's properly building a team to weather that kind of storm.  But it ain't done overnight.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:22 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Worst part about this quote is that they essentially blame us.

“Our fans wanted this fresh start”

Basically slap us in the face for wanting better things for this franchise..

Not what he said. He said "fans wanted a fresh new start" I'm pretty sure that's a correct statement after reading years of "Fire Marvin" threads. I told you guys MB was going to give him 3 years. Shouldn't be any surprise at all. Now, we get Joseph back healthy, improve the line, go back to scoring 30 plus per game, get Reader and Waynes and Geno healthy and off we go...
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:37 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Kyle Shanahan

2019 NFL Coach of the Year.  13-3 Super Bowl
2020 Injuries up and down the roster.  One (1) less loss the Bengals.
DC is getting head coach interviews.  

ZT 2019 & 2020 injuries up and down the roster. No training camp for a decidedly young team.

Do any of you really think ZT has been given a chance to show what he can do?  I don’t.  I don’t really think anyone could make that call.  Maybe he is good or maybe he is bad.  I’d like for just once for the Bengals to have a season of health.  It’s been a while.

I think that win against the Steelers showed something.  It was enough for the Bengal Front Office evidently to give him another year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:41 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Can’t rely on health. That’s why depth and scheme are so important. Bad coaches get exposed when there are injuries. Good coaches find avenues to still be competitive despite the missing players.

I think his point is that Shannahan is considered one of the best "scheme guys" in the league and he is 6-10 with a similar injury situation to us. 
Reply/Quote

We weren’t winning even when we had Burrow, Reader, Jonah, etc. The injury excuse is absolute nonsense.

Reply/Quote
All NFL teams have injuries. It is a piss poor excuse to give Zac a free pass.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:45 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: All NFL teams have injuries. It is a piss poor excuse to give Zac a free pass.

I don't think anyone is giving him a free pass.  If next year this same thing happens again, I don't think he makes it for a fourth year.  I'd even go as far to say a ZT homer like me would join ya'll in saying "bye felicia" should that occur.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:46 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I don't think anyone is giving him a free pass.  If next year this same thing happens again, I don't think he makes it for a fourth year.  I'd even go as far to say a ZT homer like me would join ya'll in saying "bye felicia" should that occur.

Zac has already demonstrated he's one of the worst coaches in the history of the NFL as demonstrated by his coaching record. Statements supporting his return are giving the guy a free pass for underperformance.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not what he said. He said "fans wanted a fresh new start" I'm pretty sure that's a correct statement after reading years of "Fire Marvin" threads. I told you guys MB was going to give him 3 years. Shouldn't be any surprise at all. Now, we get Joseph back healthy, improve the line, go back to scoring 30 plus per game, get Reader and Waynes and Geno healthy and off we go...

Mantooth said it best. They pinned it on the fans instead of saying we all wanted the change. Seemed tongue in cheek...
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:49 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mantooth said it best. They pinned it on the fans instead of saying we all wanted the change. Seemed tongue in cheek...

I don't believe Mike wanted to fire Marvin. He did it to appease the fans. Why would he now claim it was what they wanted?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Now, we get Joseph back healthy, improve the line, go back to scoring 30 plus per game, get Reader and Waynes and Geno healthy and off we go...

Who is Joseph?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:46 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I don't think anyone is giving him a free pass.  If next year this same thing happens again, I don't think he makes it for a fourth year.  I'd even go as far to say a ZT homer like me would join ya'll in saying "bye felicia" should that occur.

Great. So we will have only wasted the majority of Burrow’s rookie contract then. And when ZT is inevitably fired after year 3, the new HC has almost no time to build a winner before having to pay Burrow huge money. Which greatly reduces what you can do in FA.

This is a disaster.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:51 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who is Joseph?

Joey B..... Joseph Lee
Reply/Quote
Can we get a new owner?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Great. So we will have only wasted the majority of Burrow’s rookie contract then. And when ZT is inevitably fired after year 3, the new HC has almost no time to build a winner before having to pay Burrow huge money. Which greatly reduces what you can do in FA.

This is a disaster the norm for the Bengals.

Fixed!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't believe Mike wanted to fire Marvin. He did it to appease the fans. Why would he now claim it was what they wanted?

So they made dumb decisions just to appease the fans? Smart owner we got here.

No, they did it because they had to and now are using the fans as the fall guy.

Either way, it’s a sad statement from a sad man.
Reply/Quote
Jus wondering if the adversity the team was fighting is the front office?
Reply/Quote