Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Statement from Mike Brown (Zac is back)
(01-04-2021, 11:49 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac has already demonstrated he's one of the worst coaches in the history of the NFL as demonstrated by his coaching record. Statements supporting his return are giving the guy a free pass for underperformance.

I disagree.  He took on a heck of a challenge, and the W/L column reflects that.  We're lying to ourselves if we expected some miraculous stuff this quickly.  In no way am I giving him a "free pass" for this year, but I do think he's earned a third year based on a few things....

1. The team has been fun to watch.  As a fan, this is a high priority for me.  
2. The team has looked competitive and has fought for a win.  As a fan, this is a high priority for me.
3. The team tried something different with a new-age HC and spent a bunch in FA to put their money where their mouth is.  As a fan, this is also a priority for me.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:54 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So they made dumb decisions just to appease the fans? Smart owner we got here.

No, they did it because they had to and now are using the fans as the fall guy.

Either way, it’s a sad statement from a sad man.

I don't believe firing Marvin was a dumb thing. But the fans basically demanded it, right?  But I still don't believe that';s what MB wanted to do. Katie and Troy may have forced the issue.
Reply/Quote
Mike mocking fans for the "anyone but Marvin" belief and "punishing" us gleefully by keeping him around and claiming "we asked for it" is the story. This is worse than the infamous 2011 Marvin presser, and the biggest slap in the face of the fanbase since the Hamilton Country Tax heist.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:57 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I disagree.  He took on a heck of a challenge, and the W/L column reflects that.  We're lying to ourselves if we expected some miraculous stuff this quickly.  In no way am I giving him a "free pass" for this year, but I do think he's earned a third year based on a few things....

2. The team has looked competitive and has fought for a win.  As a fan, this is a high priority for me.
3. The team tried something different with a new-age HC and spent a bunch in FA to put their money where their mouth is.  As a fan, this is also a priority for me.  

I'll give you 1 reason he doesn't deserve a third season and this is all I need-

6-25-1.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Joey B..... Joseph Lee

Huh.  I think you're the first person I've ever heard call Joe Burrow "Joseph".  I honestly thought you meant to type Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: Mike mocking fans for the "anyone but Marvin" belief and "punishing" us gleefully by keeping him around and claiming "we asked for it" is the story. This is worse than the infamous 2011 Marvin presser, and the biggest slap in the face of the fanbase since the Hamilton Country Tax heist.

Yep, he basically said, you all asked for this, so you can live with it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Great. So we will have only wasted the majority of Burrow’s rookie contract then. And when ZT is inevitably fired after year 3, the new HC has almost no time to build a winner before having to pay Burrow huge money. Which greatly reduces what you can do in FA.

This is a disaster.

I think we are going all in on Burrow this offseason.  Specifically, I think we'll see Chase come to Cincy and we'll fix the OL in FA and draft.  Our Defense ain't perfect, but if healthy (and perhaps an Edge Rusher in the second round or FA) we can rely on our offense to win games while defense keeping other team at bay.   
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:45 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: All NFL teams have injuries. It is a piss poor excuse to give Zac a free pass.

But they we in ? positions. Our injuries were not to the bal boy or water person. They were players
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: Mike mocking fans for the "anyone but Marvin" belief and "punishing" us gleefully by keeping him around and claiming "we asked for it" is the story. This is worse than the infamous 2011 Marvin presser, and the biggest slap in the face of the fanbase since the Hamilton Country Tax heist.

This is the perfect example of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I read countless "MB doesn't care" or "FO doesn't care" comments all day all long.  Well, it turns out he does care about the fanbase and even listens to them, but now of course it's to be a d1ck.  

That said, I agree with you on the tax heist.  What a disaster on that one.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
What irks me even more with "our fans wanted" thing, is that the old man lead with it.

Right out of the gate, the first thing he wanted to say was that "our fans wanted this". I don't mean to beat a dead horse on such a little comment but I really do think it's such a strange way to begin a statement.

The Bengals really need some PR people, or someone needs to muzzle the old man. You're coming off of 6 wins in 2 seasons, and you're coming off a game where you gave up over 400 yards on the ground (with the other team pulling starters in the 3rd quarter). Now you're giving your one official statement of the year as the owner, trying to sell this fanbase on the future.

Maybe don't start out with "well you guys wanted this"?????

Does anyone read this stuff before it's released? Or does Mike just force them to put it through?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:57 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I disagree.  He took on a heck of a challenge, and the W/L column reflects that.  We're lying to ourselves if we expected some miraculous stuff this quickly.  In no way am I giving him a "free pass" for this year, but I do think he's earned a third year based on a few things....

Man, I love your optimism.  But I don't share it.  Zac came in and took over ML's 6-win team and dropped them to 2 wins.  This past year they added a number of FAs and had another draft and ended up still in the basement.  Even with another active FA period and a good draft, I can't see this team topping .500.  Enough to give Zac another year, I'm sure, but just another wasted year for the team with Burrow on his rookie contract.  

The thing is, teams in the NFL can turn around in a year or two with the right coaches and approach.  This team on a seeming 5-year plan is insanity.  And such a waste of the window they have right now.  

I'll keep following the team because they're my team.  But I'm not going to invest my Sundays next year any more than I did this year.  I sure as hell won't put a dime in the pockets of The Family.  I always hope for the best, I just don't see how Zac suddenly becomes some hero coach in his 3rd year when all he's shown us is crap the first 2. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:06 PM)pally Wrote:

Interesting, Willie seems to disagree with some on this board whether or not there are “meaningless games.”

Reply/Quote

Zac's W/L record is terrible. He inherited a team with a poor W/L record and actually made it even worse.

1. It was fun to watch because of Burrow, not anything Zac has done as a coach.
2. Looked competitive? That is LOL worthy. If by taking the field you mean competitive, then sure. Yesterday's game was more indicative of Zac's performance as a head coach; that's not competitive game play for a professional NFL team.
3. The Bengals built a marketing campaign around New Dey to suggest Zac is a new-age HC. In reality, he was a position coach lacking the experience to be an NFL head coach. It was a hiring blunder & his historically bad coaching record supports this claim. He is not a new-age HC.

Do you have any criticisms for Zac and his place in the history books as one of the worst coaches in league history? If no, then I can only assume you like the forum contrarian tit-for-tat exchange, are an internet troll, President of the Zac Taylor Fan Club, or some other crazy reason that makes you defend Zac.
Reply/Quote
Honestly doubt I bother watching next season, in fact after Broen basically disrespected the fans I might not be a fan anymore. This is ridiculous
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:08 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Man, I love your optimism.  But I don't share it.  Zac came in and took over ML's 6-win team and dropped them to 2 wins.  This past year they added a number of FAs and had another draft and ended up still in the basement.  Even with another active FA period and a good draft, I can't see this team topping .500.  Enough to give Zac another year, I'm sure, but just another wasted year for the team with Burrow on his rookie contract.  

The thing is, teams in the NFL can turn around in a year or two with the right coaches and approach.  This team on a seeming 5-year plan is insanity.  And such a waste of the window they have right now.  

I'll keep following the team because they're my team.  But I'm not going to invest my Sundays next year any more than I did this year.  I sure as hell won't put a dime in the pockets of The Family.  I always hope for the best, I just don't see how Zac suddenly becomes some hero coach in his 3rd year when all he's shown us is crap the first 2. 

I'm only optimistic because I believe in what ZT is doing.  As far as that 6-win team he took over, that included some folks that didn't fit the new culture he was building.  We quickly saw Burfict released, for example.  To me, ZT won't sacrifice his integrity or culture he wants to build for a win or two.  

I don't see us on a 5 year plan.  I think this coming year is a prove it or you're out year.  I am not happy about the record at all, I'm simply willing to deal with it if we can see progress.  Last year should've been better than a 2 win season (bunch of close games) and this year should've been more than a 4 win season with a bunch of close games.  

I also think two years in a row of AJ screwing us on offense didn't help.  A real shame about him.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:06 PM)pally Wrote:

Willie, sharing truth.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:57 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: 1. The team has been fun to watch.  As a fan, this is a high priority for me.  

This team has not been fun to watch.  They have sucked badly.  What the hell is fun about watching a shitty team lose all the time?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:58 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Huh.  I think you're the first person I've ever heard call Joe Burrow "Joseph".  I honestly thought you meant to type Jonah.

I thought he meant Vance Joseph lol
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:19 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Is the front office stupid, cheap, lazy or a combination of all 3??

Combination of all three and no one should be surprised.

Reply/Quote